Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Can Joint Pain Be A Sign Of Celiac In 8 Year Old?

• Please log in to reply

5 replies to this topic

#1 3bears2

3bears2

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:01 PM

I have celiac, but my dd has always had funny bone and joint pain. Could it be a celiac symptom or a coincidence? It just seems odd sometimes. What do you think. She has no other symptoms, gi that is. She has always been hyperactive. It has gotten better over the years. She is not gluten-free as of now.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lisalamitie

lisalamitie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:16 AM

I believe almost any symptom can be part of Celiacs. We live on Long Island where joint pain is almost always a symptom of Lymes disease. It first and mostly effects the knees, then the ankles. My Son has Lymes. My husband recently has joint pain in the ankle and it was cellulitis from a spider bite or psoriasis infection and caused tendonitis in the ankle. Chronis join tpain can also be Rhumetoid Arthritis (hopefully not though) Just some other ideas for you. Keep your eye on it and check with the doctor if it doesn't go away.

good luck

#3 massagemamaof3

massagemamaof3

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:33 AM

My 11yo has what she calls "wobbly legs" its really neuropathy. She also has complained about her knees hurting. She has just been diagnosed so I am now looking back to all the things she complained about and realizing that they are all symptoms! 

#4 WinterSong

WinterSong

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:56 AM

I know someone whose only symptom is joint pain. No gastrointestinal issues.

Everyone experiences Celiac symptoms differently, so yes it could be a symptom. 

Diagnosed with IBS - Fall 2007

Diagnosed with Celiac via blood test (tTg off the charts) - March 18th, 2011

Gluten free as of March 25th, 2011 and going strong!

Positive biopsy April 1st, 2011

Blood test results back down to normal levels November 2012

#5 greenbeanie

greenbeanie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:51 AM

My daughter had leg pain  starting before she could even talk. It was so bad once when she was about 1 1/2 that we took her to the urgent care center, wondering if she could have broken her leg (despite no apparent fall or injury). It hurt so much that she screamed and her legs buckled when we tried to get her to stand up, but she couldn't talk so it was hard to tell what was wrong. They did x-rays, which were normal, and sent us home with a diagnosis of toxic synovitis. They said she was probably prone to it and might get it again whenever she had even a minor virus. The diagnosis was not based on any particular test results - it was just the conclusion the doctor reached after ruling out other causes.

Well, over the next few years she did seem to have it again and again, even when she did not seem sick at all. We just gave her ibuprofen and waited until it passed, since that's the standard treatment for toxic synovitis. It caused her quite a bit of pain from time to time. When she was diagnosed with celiac at age 4, I'm happy to say that her leg pain has gone away completely! In retrospect, I feel quite sure that it was a symptom of celiac all along. (She had many, many other symptoms as an infant too, but it took four years to finally get to the bottom of it.) The leg pain had been most consistent in the weeks leading up to her endoscopy, when I was feeding her wheat every day, and it disappeared within days of going gluten free and hasn't returned.

Daughter: Positive tTG-IgA, DGP-IgA, and DGP-IgG. Celiac confirmed by biopsy in June 2013, at age four. Clear gastrointestinal, behavioral, and neurological/sensory symptoms since very early infancy, even when exclusively breastfeeding.

Me: Diagnosis still unclear after extensive testing: Atypical wheat allergy, severe NCGI, or false negative celiac tests? Doctors disagree.Gluten challenge caused acute gastritis, esophagitis, and angioedema that lasted 4 months and was eventually determined to be a sulfite allergy. Gluten light for 15 years, then gluten free since June 2013.
Long history of eczema, chronic diarrhea, steatorrhea, ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, infertility, chronic insomnia, low cholesterol, vitamin deficiencies, and joint pain. Improved greatly within six months of going gluten-free.

#6 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:11 PM

I had joint pain as a kid. The grown-ups called it growing pain but it never left - as an adult they changed the name of it to arthralgias. LOL  

I believe it could be a symptom in a child. Be aware that joint pain and nerve issues are often some of the slowest to resolve on the gluten-free diet.

Best wishes.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: