46 replies to this topic

#46 kenlove

kenlove

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:58 PM

the skin is amazing! I just some skin for a food safety and  preservation class I'm  teaching on Kauai yesterday. 20 year veteran chefs never knew what they were missing by not juicing skin.  Enjoy

I see I should have expanded on the reason why I wash my produce before eating or slicing it.

It is due to bacteria and dirt like LauraTX mentioned, and added links with info about, not gluten. I forgot that I need to be more specific about these things on this forum, since most topics are gluten related and it could easily be assumed I was talking about gluten.

Bacteria can cause digestive issues and illness as well, so that is why I choose to wash my produce. I understand that everyone doesn't feel it's necessary, but I feel it's necessary for myself.

kenlove - Sugarloaf pineapple arrived and it is amazing!!! It's nothing like the pineapple we usually buy around here. It is so good! I'm going to juice the skin like you suggested too. These babies were pricey, so I'm going to squeeze everything I can out of them :-) .Well worth it for a special occasion.

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:50 AM

It is recommended that melons be scrubbed with a produce brush before consuming because they can cause food poisoning: http://www.webmd.com...steria-outbreak

Sorry to continue on this side track, but 33 people died of a listeria outbreak in 2011.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: