4 replies to this topic

#1 user001

user001

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:49 PM

Hello All! I would love a book suggestion that would perhaps give a plan for healing. I would like something that includes a comprehensive list of foods that I should eat and foods I should avoid. Extra points for notations on what is better cooked and what is ok to eat raw in the way of vegetables and fruits. There are several books out there, but I would rather not purchase one unless it is helpful to me and I was hoping for some input from someone who has been there and found something helpful.

I have already read Jennifers way, and it was great but I am still finding myself wanting more information.

Beef and pork free due to intolerance since 2005, Gluten free since March 2014, Coffee free due to a developed intolerance June 2014, Egg free due to a developed intolerance August 2014
Misdiagnosed since 2000 with chronic fatigue syndrome, major depression and anxiety disorder.
Requested doc test for Celiac disease in April 2014.
Blood test positive for  Celiac disease May 2014.

Celiac Dx confirmed via small intestine biopsy 6/26/14
Fatigue,.depression, anxiety, daily headaches, and a laundry list of other symptoms have diminished slowly since I stopped eating gluten.

Who knows how much longer I would have suffered if I continued to rely on doctors to think of testing me for celiac disease.

BE AN ADVOCATE FOR YOUR OWN HEALTH!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:22 PM

Try hitting up your local library instead of buying, much much cheaper, and you can read more books.

I really enjoyed Dr Green's Celiac Disease: a Hidden Epidemic.  That's my favourite so far.

Gluten Freedom by Fasano discusses the science behind the disease for the layman

Clinical Guide to Gluten Related Disorders by Fasano  discusses the science in depth (not an easy read)

Wheat Belly was a good book but is not specific to celiac disease.

Let's Eat out by Koeller is helpful for going out.

Celiac Disease: a Guide to Living with Gluten Intolerance by Bower was pretty good.

Celiac Disease for Dummies is good and says much of the same as the books already listed

The gluten-free Diet by Hasselbach (sp?) was good but basic, and not always correct (sort of like Jennifer's Way).

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 user001

user001

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:32 PM

Thank you!

I really have heard alot of good things here about gluten freedom, but my local library doesn't seem to have it yet. I will have to keep checking back and check for the others.

Beef and pork free due to intolerance since 2005, Gluten free since March 2014, Coffee free due to a developed intolerance June 2014, Egg free due to a developed intolerance August 2014
Misdiagnosed since 2000 with chronic fatigue syndrome, major depression and anxiety disorder.
Requested doc test for Celiac disease in April 2014.
Blood test positive for  Celiac disease May 2014.

Celiac Dx confirmed via small intestine biopsy 6/26/14
Fatigue,.depression, anxiety, daily headaches, and a laundry list of other symptoms have diminished slowly since I stopped eating gluten.

Who knows how much longer I would have suffered if I continued to rely on doctors to think of testing me for celiac disease.

BE AN ADVOCATE FOR YOUR OWN HEALTH!

#4 glutenfreeliac

glutenfreeliac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:42 AM

here is a list of some ebooks at amazon. prices really vary. it's hard to filter on just "guides" rather than cookbooks. you can also preview the contents before you buy to see if the book goes in the direction you want. if you're an amazon prime member, some books are free through the kindle lending library (something i *really* need to check out sometime).

http://www.amazon.co...day gluten free

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:07 PM

Celiac Disease: The First Year by Jules Dowler Shepherd

Real Life with Celiac Disease by Melinda Dennis and Daniel  Leffler

are two of the best books out there for a newly diagnosed person.

Gluten Freedom by Alessio Fasano is also an excellent book.

P.S. I do not think Wheat Belly is a good book at all. Almost everything written in it has been debunked as false by several people. No science & no medical basis for a lot of his assertions. 

...I'm just sayin. 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: