49 replies to this topic

#46 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:42 AM

Irishheart seems to be saying, in the super sensitive section, without any reference to evidence, that it is not true that some celiacs are sensitive to lower levels of gluten than others.  She says that it is just that some celiacs are more paranoid than others.  I was trying to show some of the science that says otherwise.  There are amounts of gluten to which some react and some do not.  I gave references to medical studies, or reviews of medical studies with references.

I think that Irishheart put this comment in this egg thread to show that my reactions to eggs from pasture raised chickens after they started getting their supplemental feed in the winter must be due to paranoia rather than anything else.  Both years it happened, I didn't know that the feed had been added until after I was sick, so that doesn't fit the facts very well.

The intent from the beginning was not to make people who don't have problems with eggs to get worried.  It was to suggest that those who do have problems with eggs might want to try pasture raised chicken eggs to see if those might be OK.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:22 AM

I read Irish's responses differently. As arguably one of the most sensitive individuals on this forum - have become what we joked about for years "BubbleGirl"....

For over four years I have understood that many of the items I thought I was getting gluten from cc or other sources in actuality I was reacting to something else. Were these reactions triggered by celiac? In a way, my digestive system was destroyed from decades of undiagnosed celiac disease with mast cell disorder.

Every person with Celiac Disease needs to avoid all gluten as ingesting it does start the autoimmune cascade. I would argue that this cascade is different in each individual because we are each unique.

For me I much prefer language that unites us as those with Celiac Disease....there is enough trendy nonsense out there causing us problems.

Like it or not....many newly diagnosed or folks just starting to learn the facts about celiac disease are not celiac.com forum savvy enough to understand when someone is speaking as a "super-sensitive" which is why many of us try to keep these threads understandable for folks new to all things gluten-free.

At any given time there are between 400 and 1000 guests viewing the information in these posts. Now think about how many folks become active here. I have seen mainstream media quote posts on this forum. These are just a few of the many reasons I always answer folks from the facts known of celiac disease today and then from my own personal autoimmune puzzle.

I am no longer a moderator, but would call this thread done if I were.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#48 LauraTX

LauraTX

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:15 AM

Yep, It's done.  

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#49 John Burlingame

John Burlingame

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:30 AM

I think the obvious answer is that there is far less gluten in oats that may be cc'd as compared to actual wheat. Whatever is in the egg, whether it be at a very low ppm's of gluten threshold or a broken down metabolite that's causing the issue, is not enough to affect me.

I'd love for science to research this and get back to us.

In the meantime, it's not about what I believe. I'm just relating what I've observed for myself over a lot of painful trial and error. I do what works for me now and keeps me able to eat eggs without being sick.

Here you go science to research on soy with eggs and chicken, Im sure this applies to gluten as well https://etd.ohiolink...M:osu1236706764

Gluten and Soy free since 6/30/2014

Detox from fast-Food is not fun

#50 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:50 PM

This Paper does not talk about gluten in any way shape or form.  Eggs are a naturally gluten free food, as is chicken.  Please do not assume this study applies to anything but soy.

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

hairy-spider-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: