16 replies to this topic

#16 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:38 PM

When we vacationed in Florida I lived on McDonalds apple dippers and fruit and yogurt parfait (w/o granola), Wendy's chili, and Carrabba's and Outback. I hope that helps. I'm not familiar with State College at all.
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 NicoleAJ

NicoleAJ

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:56 PM

Hi Karen,

I'm actually a grad student in State College. Golden Wok Chinese restaurant has two gluten free options--chicken and mixed vegetables with white sauce and white rice and chiken and baby spinach (lunch only) with white rice and white sauce. They know it as wheat rather than gluten, but I've never had a problem there, so if you just let them know, you'll be fine. Also, the Tavern has a single option that I always know is safe--chicken and wild rice; get it with the spinach salad which has a safe, gluten-free dressing. I have had gluten problems with other side dishes there, so I wouldn't risk getting anything else--by the way, the chocolate mousse is gluten free and absolutely delicious (no whipped cream though). Also, I posted on another board about this, but Gamble Mill Tavern in Bellefonte is quite pricey (they have a website), but if you call the day that you go to dinner there, the chef will make a list of all of the things you can and cannot have, and the food is unbelievable! Great for special occasions. Also, we do have an Outback here with a gluten free menu--I've only gotten sick there once out of probably 30 visits. In addition, if you call ahead to your hotel tell them you have medically necessary foods that must be refrigerated and microwaved--many hotels set aside micro/fridge combos for guests with special dietary issues. Either you can bring lots of gluten free food for her and store it in the fridge, or we have two great options for shopping. First, the Wegman's grocery store on Lowes Blvd has a gluten free section and labels all of their Wegman's brand products that are gluten free--quite a long list available on their website. In addition, we have a small store called Nature's Pantry on Rte 26 that has tons of gluten free stuff. I think your daughter should be totally fine here--I've been living here since a month after my diagnosis, and I've had very few problems--as long as I don't risk going to places that have no clue about my issues.

Let me know if you need anymore info--I'm happy to help!
Diagnosed July 2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: