Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Recurrent Tonsillitis

18 posts in this topic

Is there a link between recurrent tonsillitis and undiagnosed Celiac? I know a lot of us seem to have had tonsillitis a lot before dx... my neice keeps getting tonsillitis and I'm convinced she at least has food allergies if not celiac based on other probs... she has had blood in her stool on more than one occassion and she's only 2...

Ads by Google:

I had recurrent tonsillitus from grade 7 to 12. I took so many antibiotics in that time period. I could see there being a link.

She should just get them taken out, it really isn't that painful, and then after that your sister/brother might be more ademant to get the testing for celiac disease.

weird...I always had tonsil problems to the point that I had to have an EMERGENCY tonsillectomy the day after Christmas two years ago...( yea I know, gotta be the only person the world...)

maybe there is a connection!?!

I had recurrent tonsilitis for years - long before I knew anything about Celiac. I ended up getting my tonsils out at age 23. If I had known then what I know now, I think I could have avoided it by changing my diet then. My naturopath said that she sees people with chronic tonsilitis get better when they are diagnosed with food allergies and eliminate those foods.

My second youngest daughter, Janet (20), has had tonsillitis a few times, and her tonsils are now enormous, she keeps getting strep throat, sore throat all the time, ear infections, sometimes bad pains in her legs............I think she may have Celiac disease, too. And last year once she had those enormous, gross blisters on her feet, and no clue why (they looked just like some of those worst, ugly pics of DH). Unfortunately, I don't know if the lab our doctor uses knows what they're doing when it comes to celiac testing, besides the fact that our insurance doesn't cover it.

When I asked my doctor to write me the order for a full panel of blood tests for celiac for both Susie and Janet, I saw her copy exactly what it says to test for in the celiac brochure I brought with me. I don't think she had a clue what she needed to ask for without my help. So, if she has never ordered those tests before, and the other doctors around are just as clueless, I wonder if the lab has ever done those. So, how do I then know that Susie's negative test results were valid?

And the lab never even sent the exact values, just a note stating that they were all negative. Very frustrating, especially if you have to pay for the testing yourself.

We still have the order for Janet (not dated, so still valid). But I am wondering if its even worth trying!

I used to have tonsillitis when I was little, and my tonsils were removed. Then, several years ago I had tonsillitis again, because my tonsils regrew just enough to be a problem again! I had tonsillitis several times these past five years. Now I only get a sore throat when I know I've had something that makes me sick (like yesterday, I don't know what it was, but I was up until five this morning, running to the bathroom with D every few minutes, and I have a sore throat). So, I really do think there is a connection.

thanks for your input... I know I had recurrent tonsillitis for many many years and then had them removed in an emergency surgery when I was 17, my throat was closing up and I couldn't breathe.

Does anyone happen to know if there have been any studies done on this particular link or if it is mentioned anywhere?

hmmm, not sure about a connection, but i had reoccurent tonsillitis also-all through high school, was miserable. got tonsills taken out summer before college. ouch! but worth it!

Not sure if it is related to Celiac or just a plain common occurence, but I also had recurrent tonsillitis through my childhood. Finally had them taken out in my 20's........

Karen

i had recurrant tonsillitis after my bout of mono in high school (which we think triggered all my health probs)...and finally made my ENT take them out at 19 yrs old...i was a music major and couldnt play my oboe, and was missing concerts...no good. :angry:

angie

I had tonsillitis all the time that, when I was 20 I was on antibiotics for 3 months straight until they took them out. Then two weeks ago I had a sore throat, I went to a walk in clinic and the dumb doctor looks in my mouth and says;"Well you don't have tonsillitis." I told her that was good because I had no tonsils.

I get recurrent tonsilitis in 8th grade, but that was from my CPAP and they forgot to give me the filter, so it was just circulating the bacteria through my mouth every night.

I used to get tonsillitis frequently in my late teens and during my 20's. Whats strange about that is that those are the (only) years I didn't have any stomach problems that I can remember.

I had constant strep throat and tonsillitis growing up. When I was 21 I got tonsillitis and it would come back within 36 hours after stopping the antibiotic. My (old) dr. had me on "maintenance dose" of pennicillan. I am now allergic to every antibiotic in the penicillian family - concidence? I think not! I did have my tonsils removed at age 21 too.

I had recurrent sinus infections so they took out my adenoids, although I wish they would have gotten the tonsils while they were in there, then when I got mono it wouldn't have been nearly the hell it was. My mom was a nurse for 15 years and said she had never seen anyone that sick and survive...

and then the stomach problems started :rolleyes:

My mom had hers out in her mid-20s because of recurrent tonsilitis.

I had tonsil problems my whole life. I got strep throat over and over again and it won't go away. I had to take anti-biotics numerous times. Now my tonsils have been swollen for years. Doctors can't figure out what is the problem. I sure it is from wheat. I read a couple of places that swollen tonsils are a sign of food allergies.

I had constant strep throat and tonsillitis growing up. When I was 21 I got tonsillitis and it would come back within 36 hours after stopping the antibiotic. My (old) dr. had me on "maintenance dose" of pennicillan. I am now allergic to every antibiotic in the penicillian family - concidence? I think not! I did have my tonsils removed at age 21 too.

Same thing happened to me. After being on Penicillian for three months, I am now allergic to it.

I used to get tonsillitis frequently in my late teens and during my 20's. Whats strange about that is that those are the (only) years I didn't have any stomach problems that I can remember.

I didn't have any gi issues either that I can remember during my constant tonsillitus, strept throat teen years.

I still have my tonsils and I love them.