- - - - -

Recurrent Tonsillitis

• Please log in to reply

17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:42 PM

Is there a link between recurrent tonsillitis and undiagnosed Celiac? I know a lot of us seem to have had tonsillitis a lot before dx... my neice keeps getting tonsillitis and I'm convinced she at least has food allergies if not celiac based on other probs... she has had blood in her stool on more than one occassion and she's only 2...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Felidae

Felidae

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 08:22 PM

I had recurrent tonsillitus from grade 7 to 12. I took so many antibiotics in that time period. I could see there being a link.
Tapioca intolerant
First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.
Gluten-free since June 2005
Dx with IBS February 2005
Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

#3 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 08:31 PM

She should just get them taken out, it really isn't that painful, and then after that your sister/brother might be more ademant to get the testing for celiac disease.
Molly

#4 Megan

Megan

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 08:49 PM

weird...I always had tonsil problems to the point that I had to have an EMERGENCY tonsillectomy the day after Christmas two years ago...( yea I know, gotta be the only person the world...)

maybe there is a connection!?!

#5 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 08:56 PM

I had recurrent tonsilitis for years - long before I knew anything about Celiac. I ended up getting my tonsils out at age 23. If I had known then what I know now, I think I could have avoided it by changing my diet then. My naturopath said that she sees people with chronic tonsilitis get better when they are diagnosed with food allergies and eliminate those foods.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#6 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 09:39 PM

My second youngest daughter, Janet (20), has had tonsillitis a few times, and her tonsils are now enormous, she keeps getting strep throat, sore throat all the time, ear infections, sometimes bad pains in her legs............I think she may have Celiac disease, too. And last year once she had those enormous, gross blisters on her feet, and no clue why (they looked just like some of those worst, ugly pics of DH). Unfortunately, I don't know if the lab our doctor uses knows what they're doing when it comes to celiac testing, besides the fact that our insurance doesn't cover it.

When I asked my doctor to write me the order for a full panel of blood tests for celiac for both Susie and Janet, I saw her copy exactly what it says to test for in the celiac brochure I brought with me. I don't think she had a clue what she needed to ask for without my help. So, if she has never ordered those tests before, and the other doctors around are just as clueless, I wonder if the lab has ever done those. So, how do I then know that Susie's negative test results were valid?

And the lab never even sent the exact values, just a note stating that they were all negative. Very frustrating, especially if you have to pay for the testing yourself.

We still have the order for Janet (not dated, so still valid). But I am wondering if its even worth trying!

I used to have tonsillitis when I was little, and my tonsils were removed. Then, several years ago I had tonsillitis again, because my tonsils regrew just enough to be a problem again! I had tonsillitis several times these past five years. Now I only get a sore throat when I know I've had something that makes me sick (like yesterday, I don't know what it was, but I was up until five this morning, running to the bathroom with D every few minutes, and I have a sore throat). So, I really do think there is a connection.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#7 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 04:46 AM

thanks for your input... I know I had recurrent tonsillitis for many many years and then had them removed in an emergency surgery when I was 17, my throat was closing up and I couldn't breathe.

Does anyone happen to know if there have been any studies done on this particular link or if it is mentioned anywhere?

#8 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 04:54 AM

hmmm, not sure about a connection, but i had reoccurent tonsillitis also-all through high school, was miserable. got tonsills taken out summer before college. ouch! but worth it!
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#9 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:08 AM

Not sure if it is related to Celiac or just a plain common occurence, but I also had recurrent tonsillitis through my childhood. Finally had them taken out in my 20's........

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#10 angielackner

angielackner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:51 AM

i had recurrant tonsillitis after my bout of mono in high school (which we think triggered all my health probs)...and finally made my ENT take them out at 19 yrs old...i was a music major and couldnt play my oboe, and was missing concerts...no good. :angry:

angie

#11 Rusla

Rusla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:39 AM

I had tonsillitis all the time that, when I was 20 I was on antibiotics for 3 months straight until they took them out. Then two weeks ago I had a sore throat, I went to a walk in clinic and the dumb doctor looks in my mouth and says;"Well you don't have tonsillitis." I told her that was good because I had no tonsils.
Rusla

Asthma-1969
wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980
Multiple food, environmental allergies
allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha
Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972
Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease
gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005
Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005
Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

#12 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:47 AM

I get recurrent tonsilitis in 8th grade, but that was from my CPAP and they forgot to give me the filter, so it was just circulating the bacteria through my mouth every night.
Molly

#13 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:21 AM

I used to get tonsillitis frequently in my late teens and during my 20's. Whats strange about that is that those are the (only) years I didn't have any stomach problems that I can remember.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#14 StrongerToday

StrongerToday

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:30 AM

I had constant strep throat and tonsillitis growing up. When I was 21 I got tonsillitis and it would come back within 36 hours after stopping the antibiotic. My (old) dr. had me on "maintenance dose" of pennicillan. I am now allergic to every antibiotic in the penicillian family - concidence? I think not! I did have my tonsils removed at age 21 too.
Ev in Michigan

GFDF since 8/20/05
Negative Bloodwork ~
Dr. encourages me to trust my
"Gut Reaction"

#15 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 09:06 AM

I had recurrent sinus infections so they took out my adenoids, although I wish they would have gotten the tonsils while they were in there, then when I got mono it wouldn't have been nearly the hell it was. My mom was a nurse for 15 years and said she had never seen anyone that sick and survive...

and then the stomach problems started :rolleyes:

My mom had hers out in her mid-20s because of recurrent tonsilitis.
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: