Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Why to be careful with Lotions, makeup, shampoos etc.

• Please log in to reply

50 replies to this topic

#1 kalo

kalo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 07:34 AM

So I have a question. I keep reading that you have to be careful with makeup, sun screen etc. etc. Why is this? Is it just to avoid DH and if you don't have a problem with it you don't need to worry? I'm still learning all this. Hugs, Carol B
Hugs, Carol B Enterolab diagnosed gluten sensitive and casein allergic June 04

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 08:03 AM

Have you ever used sunblock on your face, and when licking your lips, gotta a touch of a nasty taste from it? Have you ever used lotion on your hands, then picked up some carrots (or other finger food) to eat? Have you ever had the wind whip hair into your mouth?

Those are the reasons I avoid gluten in non-food items. I certainly don't plan for that sort of thing, but I just don't want to bother with the risk.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 jaimek

jaimek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 11:43 AM

Carol,
I do not have DH and did not think I had to worry about those products either. After being gluten-free for about 2-3 months I started noticing my eyes getting very dry and crusted shut in the morning. I figured out that it was my shampoo that contained wheat. I had never had that reaction before going gluten-free, but I guess my body got more sensitive to the gluten since starting the diet and caused my eyes to swell and become dry. So, I switched shampoos (to Loreal) and have been fine ever since. I do not worry about lotions though. I just wash my hands after applying any makeup or lotion. The only reason the shampoo affected me was because I couldn't avoid getting it in my eyes. Hope this helps! :D
gluten-free since 2/6/04

#4 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 12:03 PM

JamieK-
You DO need to worry about lotions and makeup. It is very easy to have some lotion remain maybe under your fingernails and you lick your finger because you got something yummy on it. OOPS accidental gluten ingestion!! Then you are sick.

All products you use should be gluten free. Shampoo, conditioner, lotion, dish soap, hand soap, body wash, toothpaste, chapstick, lipstick, makeup, sunscreen, and the list goes on.....

It is better to be safe than sorry in this case. Just go gluten free and you will feel better!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#5 Donna F

Donna F

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 12:56 PM

Is Loreal really okay? Which ones, all?

The only gluten-free shampoos I know of are Neutrogena (which I can't find-except the clean-for-color one that I don't like) and Toms of Maine (which is REALLY hard to find).

thanks,
d

#6 Pegster

Pegster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 03:56 PM

Before my diagnosis, I had the itchiest scalp in the world. I was using a shampoo recommended by my hairdresser to keep the color in my hair and it had HVP in it. While on vacation, I used my daughter's Garnier Fructis shampoo which seems gluten-free to me unless I'm missing some secret ingredient. My head felt so much better immediately! Now I realize the problem.
PEGGY
Positive DH biopsy 4/19/04

#7 Donna F

Donna F

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 03:59 PM

Would HVP have gluten in it?

Neutrogena was listed as gluten-free on my product listing....

...wait a minute! There was a statement made by the company that it may contain trace amounts and use with caution.

I've probably gotten more sensative over time on the gluten-free diet too. That explains it! Guess I'll be using Toms?

You say fructis? Anyone else? What do you use?

#8 kalo

kalo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 09:13 PM

Thanks for all the replies. WOW! is all I can say. We have a home based business which we haven't been involved in due to my being so sick over the years. We carry things like shampoo, make up etc. among many other things. Was hoping to get back involved when I got well. Guess I'll have to check and see what the ingredients are. I definately don't want to create more of a problem for myself. Thanks again. Hugs, Carol

#9 jaimek

jaimek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 06:52 AM

Loreal is gluten-free and always easy to find. I use the color care and the regular conditioner and all of my problems have gone away. I do use gluten free makeup (by chance) and all of my chapstick, toothpaste, etc is also gluten free. Just not sure about my lotions. Guess I should check on that one.
gluten-free since 2/6/04

#10 Donna F

Donna F

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 07:26 AM

What kind of makeup are you using? I heard Neutrogena was okay, but I saw a warning that it may contain trace amounts of gluten. I've been using a few of the products like, blush and powder, but I'm starting to break out again.

I'm curious if there is gluten-free makeup in the stores. Like Carol, I have my own home-based business too and I usually use those, but I've yet to look at the foundations or to see the powders and blushes, and I don't like to buy from a color-chart since it's not usually accurate! It would be nice to know if there is something else out there too.

Oh! And does anyone know about a gluten-free hair color???

Thanks,
donna

#11 jaimek

jaimek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 08:08 AM

I spoke to the general manager of MAC and she told me that their makeup was gluten-free! I have not had any problems with it at all.
gluten-free since 2/6/04

#12 terri

terri

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 12:19 PM

I have spent a lot of time contacting shampoo companies and here are my findings. All Garnier Fructis products are gluten free. L'Oreal is gluten-free also, Dove would list it on the label if it's there and wouldn't hide it under a chemical name. It would say wheat. The Redken and Euforia ones clearly are marked wheat. So I gave all my expensive stuff to my hubby and went out and bought the ones I listed above. Also, I use Keri lotion and Suave lotion which are both okay. I really had a good time with makeup! Lancome is gluten-free and most of Clinique is. Estee Lauder has lots of wheat and it is clearly listed. I don't have DH but I spend so much effort keeping gluten out of my diet that I just can't see washing my face and hair with it! Oh yes, Elizabeth Arden's face wash has gluten also.
Hope this helps!
Terri
Terri
Northern Virginia

gluten-free since March 27, 2004

#13 Donna F

Donna F

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 05:11 PM

Thank you Terri! I was gettin sick of Toms - it smells! Good to know some more names. I agree about going all the way with gluten-free. I want it ALL out!

BTW, what is MAC haircolor? Is it an abbreviation for something, or is that the name? I've never heard of it.

Thanks!
donna

#14 kalo

kalo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 07:20 PM

I'd like to just throw this out. I went to my main doctor today and he told me that he has several families dealing with celiac disease. They all found out about wheat in skin care products, shampoo etc but when they used them they have had NO symptoms. So he didn't think it was that important. He also said that it can absorb through the skin but so far none of his patients have experienced that. Not saying this is right just passing along his experience. Hugs, Carol B

#15 jaimek

jaimek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 04:23 AM

MAC is a manufacturer of makeup products. :)
gluten-free since 2/6/04

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: