This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten-free, Casein-free, Egg-free, Soy-free Butter?

mythreesuns

mythreesuns Contributor

I have not been able to find any "butter" that doesn't have any of the above ingredients. I found a rice butter that was "dairy free, soy free" but had casein in it.

Oil is fine for my baked potatoes, but I really want something other than jelly to put on the yummy english muffins I found.

Any ideas?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nancym Enthusiast

I use ghee instead of butter which is just the fat part of real butter, without the casein. It doesn't taste like butter but it has a wonderful nutty flavor.

lorka150 Collaborator

can you have soy lethicin? i know some people who are soy intolerant can.

what about coconut spread?

Mango04 Enthusiast

I've been butter-free myself for quite a while now (which is a bummer sometimes). Someone told me about a butter called Smart Squeeze. I can't personally advocate it because I have no idea what the ingredients are, but I hear it's gluten, dairy and soy-free (don't know about eggs).

RiceGuy Collaborator

Here's a rice-based product line, which includes butter, cheeses, and sour cream: Open Original Shared Link

They specify gluten, soy and lactose free, but nothing about casein, which I'm guessing means it is probably in the products :( I suppose you could email them and see if they respond.

lorka150 Collaborator

RiceGuy,

Only their 'vegan' flavours are casein free - the Veggies ones are not. They don't have much of a vegan variety.

mythreesuns Contributor
Here's a rice-based product line, which includes butter, cheeses, and sour cream: Open Original Shared Link

Their whole vegan line has soy in it. Can't have that either. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator
Their whole vegan line has soy in it. Can't have that either. :(

Can you have any nut butters? I've read pecan butter is fairly smooth, so maybe that'd work for you. Seed butters might be good also. I like sesame, and plan to try a sesame butter one of these days. That to me sounds like it would be good on a bunch of different things.

<EDIT>

I just read about cashew butter and that sounds like it may work too. Here's a site that gives a description of nut butters, how they taste, and suggested uses: Open Original Shared Link

eKatherine Rookie
I have not been able to find any "butter" that doesn't have any of the above ingredients. I found a rice butter that was "dairy free, soy free" but had casein in it.

Oil is fine for my baked potatoes, but I really want something other than jelly to put on the yummy english muffins I found.

Any ideas?

Have you considered pan-grilling them in bacon fat from gluten-free bacon?

mythreesuns Contributor
Can you have any nut butters?

Thanks for the suggestion! What part of the grocery store would I look for them? I haven't seen them with the regular butters.

Have you considered pan-grilling them in bacon fat from gluten-free bacon?

YUM! I will definitely give that a thought...

RiceGuy Collaborator
Thanks for the suggestion! What part of the grocery store would I look for them? I haven't seen them with the regular butters.

Not too sure, but maybe with the baking ingredients, or with the peanut butter. If the store has a specialties section, then I'd check that too.

jerseyangel Proficient

Usually nut butters are with the peanut butter in a regular grocery store. If the store has a natural foods section, there is a better selection there. At Whole Foods and those type of stores, they're all together.

If you don't see them, you can always ask the service desk. :)

guitarplayer4God Explorer

For butter on bread I use Fleischmann's light butter, It taste pretty good. This butter does not work real well in baking cookies and things. I have tried to find a margarine that is soy, peanut, dairy and gluten free to use in cooking and baking but havn't had any luck yet. Oh ya and here are the ingredients for the butter, just incase you wanted to know what was in it.

INGREDIENTS: WATER, CANOLA OIL, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED CORN OIL, SALT, PROPYLENE GLYCOL MONOSTEARATE AND VEGETABLE MONOGLYCERIDES (EMULSIFIERS), XANTHAN GUM, POTASSIUM SORBATE AND SODIUM BENZOATE AND CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA (TO PRESERVE FRESHNESS), CITRIC ACID (ACIDULANT), ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, COLORED WITH BETA CAROTENE (SOURCE OF VITAMIN A), VITAMIN D3 ADDED.

mythreesuns Contributor
For butter on bread I use Fleischmann's light butter, It taste pretty good. This butter does not work real well in baking cookies and things. I have tried to find a margarine that is soy, peanut, dairy and gluten free to use in cooking and baking but havn't had any luck yet. Oh ya and here are the ingredients for the butter, just incase you wanted to know what was in it.

INGREDIENTS: WATER, CANOLA OIL, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED CORN OIL, SALT, PROPYLENE GLYCOL MONOSTEARATE AND VEGETABLE MONOGLYCERIDES (EMULSIFIERS), XANTHAN GUM, POTASSIUM SORBATE AND SODIUM BENZOATE AND CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA (TO PRESERVE FRESHNESS), CITRIC ACID (ACIDULANT), ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, COLORED WITH BETA CAROTENE (SOURCE OF VITAMIN A), VITAMIN D3 ADDED.

NICE!!!! :D

Thank you very much. For baking, I use shortening anyway. I'm just looking for something to put on my toast. Thanks! :)

guitarplayer4God Explorer

Your welcome, I hope you enjoy it on your toast! :)

Archived