This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Is Your Best Gf Food Item You Have Found?

Mom22

Mom22 Apprentice

Both of our children were diagnosed with celiac disease earlier this year and I am still expanding our known gluten free safe items. Please share what the best gluten free food item(s) that you have found whether they are mainstream foods or specialty gluten free items. I thought maybe I could get some new ideas, as well as others on the boards, and find more foods that are gluten-free that I didn't realize were. Here are a few items that I have found that our kids enjoy:

1. Chebe bread mixes!

2. Kozy Shack rice pudding and tapioca pudding (those of you in Pennsylvania, Giant Foods carries their own puddings and state it right on the front "gluten free" and they are half the price of Kozy Shack)

3. ACT II Popcorn

4. Reese's peanut butter cups

5. Kraft Easy Cheese (in the spray can), great on the Energy mini pretzels

Thanks in advance for sharing~ :D

Mom 2 2

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gf4life Enthusiast

1. Really Great Foods Chocolate cake mix and Banana Bread Cake mix, I buy both mixes at Open Original Shared Link

2. ANDI bars(chocolate shake, PB&J flavored are our favorites)Open Original Shared Link , Gluten Solutions Chocolate Mint bars, and Aunt Candace Double Chocolate PB flavored protein bars Open Original Shared Link . These are something we keep on hand for traveling and meals on the go when we can't get safe food!

3. Tinkyada pasta: all shapes! The best gluten-free pasta available. I get mine at Whole Foods and my kids love the Tinkyada Little Dreams shaped pasta.

Guest Libbyk

Food for life's Black China Rice bread. they make a bunch of different varieties, but the black rice is the best by far (and the hardest to find! I order mine from a local hippy store.)

Thai Kitchen's 3 minutes ramen. they come in yummy flavors like lemongrass and chiili, garlic, and curry. They are made with rice noodles, which is a staple of thai food anyhow, so it doesn;t have that "poor substitute" problem.

the Cravings Place's cornbread mix. i make cornbread by hand all the time, but somehow hers are better. (If only I could figure out why!) I also like that they are made locally. (for me, in bend, OR)

fuji apples with string cheese or peanut butter

Lib

Happycat Rookie

I just bought the brownies from health food store. They were from Foods by George. They were absolutely delicious! They are wheat free, gluten free, casein free, lactose free, dairy free. It is amazing how good they are and no chemicals either!! (a bit pricey though $6.39 for a small tray) Good for special occasions or just to spoil yourself or your family.

I wish I could make them!

Lisa :lol:

Guest Lindam

:) I made the best bread from Sylvan farms. I comes in a mix and it is very easy and very good. Some breads that I have found are hard and heavy and this is so close to the "real" thing.

I also like peanut butter puffs, I can't recall the correct name for them, I'm sorry, but those taste very close to Peanut Butter Crunch, which I love.

I go to Trader Joes and they have a list of foods that we can have. One thing they make are the chicken taquitos, Yummy, and the shrimp stir fry, excellent. I could go on and on, but I hope this helps.

Linda

Guest gfinnebraska

This is the peanut butter cereal I believe a person above was speaking of. I LOVE them too!! Really good, crunchy cereal. That is one thing I miss... crunchy food!! But this cereal and the gluten-free pretzels help satisfy the craving to crunch!! :)

Name: Peanut Butter Panda Puffs Cereal - NEW!

SKU: NP-1

Brand: Nature's Path - No wheat, gluten, casein, dairy, egg, potato, soy.

Price: $3.95

Quantity: 61

Size: 10 Oz. Box

Description: A gluten free combo of corn balls with real peanut butter coating. May contain traces of peanuts, tree nuts, or soy. INGREDIENTS: Organic corn meal, organic evaporated cane juice, organic peanut butter (peanuts, salt), organic canola oil, sea salt, tocopherols (natural vitamin E) added to preserve freshness.

momof2 Explorer

Veggie Pirate's Booty from Trader Joes. I am not sure if it is sold exclusively at Trader Joes, but that is the only place I have found it! My 17 month old eats them up!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

seeking-wholeness Explorer

Organic Food Bars (that's their brand name)! They are made entirely with real food (definitely nothing synthetic, and no refined sugars either). They appeal to my sense of taste, too. Being a health nut as well as a celiac, I think these are a great find. I get them at Whole Foods or my local independent health food store.

--Sarah

tarnalberry Community Regular

Well, most of what I get is naturally gluten free, other than rice pastas... I don't think I had tried Thai Kitchen's Chili Paste until I went gluten-free, and that's been a big hit with the husband...

kabowman Explorer

Breads made with Bette Hagman's bread book (only the ones I can find the flour for though) - real pizza - first time I have eaten pizza in almost 6 years w/o getting sick--no cheese please!

-Kate

lilliexx Contributor

WOW I am glad someone mentioned sylvan border farms bread mix!! That is the one I use, and i havnt heard many people metion it here. It tastes wonderful!! I still want to try gluten free pantry fav sandwich mix and manna from anna, becuz so many people talk about those two!! But the sylvan borders is GOOD!! :D

my fav gluten-free products are:

bumble bars ( energy bars made from nuts) all flavors are gluten-free ( i eat these every morning)

Pamala's cookies ( they are so good you would NEVER know they were gluten free)

tinkyada pasta

Amy's rice crust pizza

Pamela's brownie mix

mommida Enthusiast

My favorites so far...

Amy's cheese enchilada frozen meal

Massel better bouillon adds flavor to lots of stuff!

Pamela's Ultimate Baking and pancake mix ( pancakes are better than any gluten ones I ever had! )

Gluten free pantry chocolate cake mix ( make the peanut butter frosting on the back with the peanut butter cups on top )

cookbook

The gluten-free Kitchen by Roben Ryberg cookbook

favorite recipes from the book so far...

sour cream breakfast muffins

fried chicken

carrot cake

crepes ( added the vanilla, used fresh or frozen fruit, and put a dollop of yogurt)

Laura

lovegrov Collaborator

Gluten Free Pantry brownie mix.

richard

celiac3270 Collaborator

1. Chebe bread mix -- as a pizza crust and a bread

2. Everything by "Foods By George" -- eng. muffins, which I now eat with the regularlity I ate bagels before being diagnosed. Brownies, crumb cakes, muffins, a nice change.

3. There was a choc. chip cookie mix that was AMAZING, but I can't remember its name.....it'll come to me.

lilliexx Contributor

oh i almost forgot

annies gluten free salad dressings!! i marinated my chicken in the tuscany italian and it is sooooo good!! :rolleyes:

Guest gfinnebraska

Dietary Specialties muffin mixes ~ any flavor. They are REALLY good. Best straight from the oven with butter... yummy!! They do tend to get a little dry after a few days, but 30 secs. in the micro takes care of that! :) It is wonderful having a muffin for breakfast again. The apple mix has real dried apple that you mix in. VERY good muffins!! ;)

P00LSHARCK Newbie

I just recently tasted the most scrumptious cake I have had in a long time. It was a Chocolate Swiss Roll cake with white cream filling that was gluten free! I could not believe that the cake was gluten-free free, it tasted just like a Hostess cake. I did some searching on this company, its called Cinderella Sweets from New York. They do mail order across the country, which is great for me. You can call Andrew @ 516 652 5671 or 516 374 7976 to place an order. They also have birthday cakes, but their product line changes throughout the year, so check them out.

plantime Contributor

En-R-Gee's pretzels! Made with cornstarch and soy flour, yum yum!

elsinore Rookie

Two items for sure...

1) La Messagere gluten-free beer out of Quebec, Canada. From what I remember, it tastes like the real thing. Just picked up 8 cases while visiting.

2) Kinnickinnick donuts out of Calgary Alberta, Canada. Haven't seem them around for awhile though...

Elsinore

plantime Contributor

EnerG crackers, also made with corn starch and soy flour. These taste like saltines, and are yummy with blackberry jam on them!

Archived