21 replies to this topic

#16 Kelleybean

Kelleybean

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:27 PM

Slightly OT, but when I make beans from scratch I've discovered it's way easier to bake them in the oven. I cover them with several inches of water and put in a cast iron dutch oven, then bake at 325 for an hour and 45 or so. No need to presoak, comes out perfect every time. I always make extra and keep them in the freezer for recipes. So if you find out that you can tolerate them, super easy to make extra and keep around.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 msmini14

msmini14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:16 AM

Please see below email. Van Camp's Pork & Beans are fine to eat....
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for your email concerning our Van Camp's Pork and Beans.

We understand how important it is for people who have been medically diagnosed with gluten sensitivity to obtain accurate information about our food to help plan their meals and diets. And we continue to look for ways to meet the dietary needs of our consumers.

Since wheat is a major food allergen, if it is used in the product it would be listed in the contains statement following the ingredients list. The flour used in many of our products is wheat flour and you should avoid these products if you have gluten sensitivities. If any ingredient in the product includes rye or barley, it will be listed in parentheses immediately following the ingredient. Oats do not contain gluten, but they frequently have been exposed to wheat or barley and are not recommended for celiac patients. If Natural Flavors, Artificial Flavors, or Spices listed in the ingredients list contain wheat, rye or barley, these ingredients would be listed in parenthesis immediately following the ingredient. Some fermented or distilled products such as vinegar may be derived from wheat. Most of the vinegar in our products is distilled and through the distilling process protein gluten is removed.

Starting January of 2012, we began producing the following brands validated as gluten-free with gluten-free printed on their labels:
-Cocoa: Swiss Miss all varieties
-Egg Beaters: all varieties
-Tomatoes: Hunt's all varieties (excluding Pasta Sauces, Tomato Sauces and Ketchups)
-Orville Redenbacher's: all Ready to Eat varieties
-Pudding: Swiss Miss & Snack Pack, excludes those containing Tapioca

Below is a list of some of our other products that do not contain added gluten*
Category/Brand/Items
-PAM Cooking Spray: all varieties except PAM Baking
-Hebrew National: all items except Franks in a Blanket
-Wesson oils: all varieties
-Peter Pan Peanut Butter: all varieties
-Popcorn: Act II microwave, Orville Redenbacher jar and microwave, excluding Crunch n Munch and Poppycock
-Spreads: Parkay, Blue Bonnet, Fleischmann's and Move Over Butter
-David Seeds: all varieties
-Tomato Sauces: Hunt's tomato paste and sauces excluding pasta sauces
-Ketchup: Hunt's all varieties
-Reddi-Wip: all varieties
-Ro*Tel Tomatoes (excluding sauces)
*These items have been identified as not containing gluten. They are not currently routinely tested to affirm they contain less than 20ppm gluten for a 'gluten-free' claim.

We always advise consumers who may have sensitivities to recheck the ingredient list on each package. Products are oftentimes reformulated and the ingredients may change. If you have additional questions about your personal dietary needs, please consult your doctor or a registered dietitian.

I hope you have a great day!

Gluten Free going on 5 years and counting!

gluten-free is a life change and not a diet.

#18 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:09 AM

Chili powder is nothing more than ground peppers, which would be gluten-free.

Chili seasoning is a blend of chili powder with other ingredients, which could possibly include gluten.
It could also be labeled "chili powder blend." In the US and Canada, wheat would have to be disclosed using the word "wheat."

Actually, (unfortunately) what's often called Chili Powder usually has ground chile peppers, cumin, salt and other ingredients, such as this one:

http://www.mccormick...ili-Powder.aspx

They don't always add the word "blend" or "seasoning" to the label.

(Unless it's something like New Mexico chile powder, which is just ground chiles).

But you're right, the word "wheat" would have to be on there.

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

#19 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

My nutritionist recommends Eden...but I'm now off all beans which is a great tragedy in my life. *sob* She says I can trial them again in about 6 months. But on a positive note, dropping beans and corn seem to be helping with the pain issues I continued to have after going gluten-free!

#20 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

My nutritionist recommends Eden...but I'm now off all beans which is a great tragedy in my life. *sob* She says I can trial them again in about 6 months. But on a positive note, dropping beans and corn seem to be helping with the pain issues I continued to have after going gluten-free!

I have other food allergies besides being celiac. I use some Bush beans, but mostly Lucks, ( in the south) I do great with Lucks! Good luck! I know other beans have been mentioned (Eden) and they are gluten-free, however, the cost is much.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#21 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:02 AM

Also know that bagged dry beans often are contaminated with grains - I have found that I have to pour them out, sort through them, and wash them thoroughly before cooking. They are transported and bagged in the same equipment as barley and other dry bagged products, so it wouldn't surprise me if there was some level of contamination in canned beans, where nobody is going to sort out the random grains.
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#22 CSW

CSW

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:06 AM

For what it's worth, my very sensitive husband has no problems ever with Eden or Westbrae (we like Eden because the can linings are BPA-free) --we read somewhere that canned beans should always be drained and rinsed before eating, so we do that, which may help with any possible slight CC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: