Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

Gluten Free Name Brands

8 posts in this topic

I was wondering if in this thread some people..especially the vets..would be willing to name some of the name some of their favorite name brand food items that are gluten free and haven't affected them.

Not stuff that is actually like a gluten free company..but everyday name brand grocery store items.

For instance..I have fallen in love with some of the Humm Foods Larabars. They aren't in the gluten free section. They are in with the regular nutrition bars. I found out about them online then checked my store for them. They are gluten free and contain very few whole ingredients. I love keeping these around for something quick.

For anyone who likes a really healthy nutrition bar..give these a try.

I'm also trying to keep more gluten free things in the house period and not just stuff for me as I am limited..but stuff to keep around for the rest to enjoy that are everyday name brand items..but gluten free. Would make the house so much easier yet not make them think they are eating gluten free to all the time.

One thing too it seems I have noticed is that there are not that many regular shelf gluten free everyday cereals that are healthy too. I think I saw stuff like Fruity Pepples was. The others can't eat a lot of that wouldn't work for them.

I am aware that things can change and we always still need to read labels.

Thanks again.

Ads by Google:

Kozy Shack pudding

Darigold and MountainHigh yogurt

Treetop applesauce

Dole pineapple

Hunts or Jello snack packs

Mrs May's nut clusters

HealthValley corn and rice chex

Swiss Miss SF hot cocoa and Kraft minimarshmallows

Peanut M&M's

Kraft salad dressings (most are gluten-free)

Jack Daniels marinade

Heinz ketchup

Hormell natural selection deli meats and bacon--when on sale I stock up and freeze

Frozen berries at Costco-go thru a bag a week by myself!

Kirkland frozen chicken, salmon, talapia, shrimp, and lean hamburger at costco

Health Valley soups--clearly lists wheat

S&W beans--kidney, black, northern

Kraft shredded cheese

Tillamook pepperjack cheese, yogurt and ice cream (except the obvious ones)

Kirkland organic peanut butter

Propel water

Gardenburger brand soy "beef" burgers

Other than a fridge full of fruit and veggies, this is some of what is in our pantry/fridge. I tend not to buy the gluten-free branded stuff, it gets too expensive. Cereal and bread is about it!

I love Trader Joe's Basmati and Wild Rice Blend. It takes the same amout of time to cook as regular rice(14 min.), and has dried veg., like green onion, mushroom, red peppers, parsley, etc. I use it in porcupine meatballs, stuffed peppers, and a chicken and wild rice dish, as well as rice salad. It adds alot of flavor all in one "ingredient". I buy alot when they have it.

I can't live without Pacific's chicken broth either.

Ore Ida products, from their gluten-free list, are staples in our house.

HealthValley Corn Chex(I use for crumbs in meatloaf and meatballs)

Hormel Naturals ham and turkey

I don't buy too many actual gluten free products either. I buy most of my mainstream food at Wegmans, they will brand their private label as gluten free.

Jack Daniels BBQ sauces

Heinz ketchup

Hormell natural selection deli meats and bacon--when on sale I stock up and freeze

I don't know if ingredients have changed but this past summer I called Heinz and e-mailed them to see if the Jack Daniels BBQ Sauce was gluten free and they said no. I can't remember what the gluten was in it b/c I have thrown away the container & it was months ago.

They do list the following as being gluten free:

Jack Daniel's EZ Marinader -- Teriyaki Variety

Jack Daniel's EZ Marinader -- Garlic & Herb Variety

For BBQ my family really likes Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce.

Hi Gluten15 --

When I started out I looked online.

You can pull up the product webiste and see if they have a list, a lot do now. I looked up foods on here and made a list of things that I would want then when I went to the store I would look at the label. With reading in books and websites on how to read labels and what to look for/be cautious of and then seeing what others ate I learned to read labels better. It was stressful at first so I ate a lot of safe foods that I knew were gluten free (but got really tired of them ha).

I have also e-mailed some of the main companies and they either say you need to read the labels, that the labels will clearly state if it contains gluten or they e-mail back with a list.

Here are some links to some companies gluten free lists:

Kern's Nectar Juice is gluten free (BUT the Mango Horchata and Coffee Horchata are NOT gluten free)

Dinty Moore Beef Stew is gluten free (I like to put some cheese and pepper in it for flavor)

Classico Spaghetti sauce (all red and white sauce) is gluten free

Johnsonville Sausage (website: if you click on each item and look at the ingredients it will have at the end of the list gluten free if it is. (this one I just found out recently but I want to buy and use with other meat in meatloaf and spaghetti)

Someone posted the below website on a thread couple weeks ago:

On their website you can join for free -- they e-mail you M-F once a day a gluten free product. I joined couple weeks ago and it has been interesting some of the items that they e-mail about. Pretty much all of the items you can buy at the grocery store and don't have to go to a specialty store / health food store.

Jack Daniel's EZ Marinader -- Teriyaki Variety

Jack Daniel's EZ Marinader -- Garlic & Herb Variety

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Yes, there are other grains that have gluten but they don't have the TYPE of gluten that affects celiacs. Celaics can not have the gluten in wheat, barley, & rye. Corn has gluten but it is not the kind of gluten we react to. I actually use corn gluten in my garden as it prevents weed seeds from sprouting. LOL! Hey, it works great! Read these: Gluten is the name for the protein in grains. All grains contain protein that is theoretically gluten but people with celiac disease and most other gluten allergies only react to the form of gluten found in wheat (including spelt, kamut, triticale and all varieties of wheat), barley, and rye. From:   I've run across another gluten urban legend that needs to be dispelled: the idea that people with celiac disease and non-celiac gluten sensitivity actually react to gluten in all grains, not just wheat, barley, rye and sometimes oats. This just isn't true, despite what you might have heard or read. People who react to the gluten protein found in wheat, barley and rye don't automatically need to avoid rice, corn, millet, sorghum and other grains. From:   There are some unsavory sites out there in internet land that will tell you celiacs cross react to all grains. They generally have something to sell, a book, a video, some vitamins or other things. They use scare tactics to sell what they are selling. These claims simply are not true. If they were, then all the people on this site who have gotten well while not eating wheat, barley & rye but continuing to eat rice, quinoa, corn & so forth would not have gotten well; they would be dead by now & there would be no "old timers" on this site because they would have eventually died from eating grains other than wheat, barley & rye. Celiacs can develop sensitivities to other foods, even foods like cabbage or lettuce or potatoes or even rice or maybe only brown rice but that does not mean they are reacting b/c of gluten in those things. You may be doing great since eliminating rice from your diet and that is wonderful that you figured out that it affects you but that does not mean the rice contains the kind of protein that celiacs can not tolerate.  
    • Working a modifying a recipe to be both Vegan and Grain free. I am a bit low on funds right now and can not test it. Feed back is welcome and if you do it perhaps  get me a grams breakdown for duplication. 1 cup almond flour
      ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
      1 teaspoons cinnamon
      1 teaspoons apple pie spice
      1 teaspoon baking soda
      ½ teaspoon salt
      ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
      ½ cup almond butter
      ½ cup Maple/Agave
      2 Tablespoons soft coconut oil
      2 Tablespoons Ground Flax Seed combined with 5 table spoons water whisked and set aside
      1 medium apple, diced small (about 1¼ cups)
      1 cup chopped pecans
      ¼ cup flax seeds

Preheat oven to 350° F and grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
      In a mixing bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
      Add the applesauce, almond butter, honey, coconut oil, and ground flax mixture. Beat with a mixer until everything is incorporated.
      Stir in the diced apple, pecans, and flax seeds.
      Spread the batter in the prepared pan and bake for 25min
    • Sorry - didnt realize you couldnt see it. Talked about all grains having gluten.  
    • We can't see the video carle.  The site is banned from celiac com for spamming. Not having seen it, I'd guess they are selling something?
    • Sorry Doit, Ok, I think I see what you are talking about.  The serum IgA test?  The serum IgA is to verify if your body does make IgA antibodies.  Not all of us make that particular antibody type.  you do make IgA antibodies though, and your reading is fairly high.  the way I understand it, the serum IgA is not specific to celiac disease.  It does indicate a level of antibody activity though.  So perhaps you are fighting an infection or something?  Or it is celiac and for some reason your blood levels of antibodies are not high enough to detect right now. The below info on serum IgA is from Quest Labs. ******************************************************************** Test Highlight IgA, Serum    Clinical Use Diagnose IgA deficiencies Determine etiology of recurrent infections Diagnose infection Diagnose inflammation Diagnose IgA monoclonal gammopathy Clinical Background IgA is the first line of defense for the majority of infections at mucosal surfaces and consists of 2 subclasses. IgA1 is the dominant subclass, accounting for 80% to 90% of total serum IgA and greater than half of the IgA in secretions such as milk, saliva, and tears. IgA2, on the other hand, is more concentrated in secretions than in blood. IgA2 is more resistant to proteolytic cleavage and may be more functionally active than IgA1. IgA deficiency is the most prevalent isotype deficiency, occurring in 1/400 to 1/700 individuals. Many patients with IgA deficiency are asymptomatic, while others may develop allergic disease, repeated sinopulmonary or gastroenterologic infections, and/or autoimmune disease. Individuals with complete absence of IgA (<5 mg/dL) may develop autoantibodies to IgA after blood or intravenous immunoglobulin infusions and may experience anaphylaxis on repeat exposure. Elevated serum IgA levels are associated with infection, inflammation, or IgA monoclonal gammopathy. Method In this nephelometric method, anti-human IgA binds to IgA in the patient sample, forming an insoluble complex. The amount of light scattered by this insoluble complex is proportional to the concentration of IgA present in the sample.   ********************************************************************
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member