51 replies to this topic

#46 dbuhl79

dbuhl79

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 08:13 AM

Boy can I relate. In fact I find these posts so comforting to know I was not alone. I hadn't read much when I first looked into celiac disease about being short of breath and was panicked something else was wrong with me!

In the beginnings of my gluten-intolerant symptoms, I was so fatigued and short of breath walking up a short flight of stairs it was insane. My fiance was terribly worried, I couldn't make it through half a shopping trip at Sams Club without feeling completely wiped out. He'd take one look at me, recognize that dazed look on my face and say "We need to go don't we?" Anyhow, I am happy to report being gluten-free has resolved that. Not right away, bt with time it has. In fact I have a lot of energy back and am trying to exercise regularly. Even running. (Its just a matter of getting back in the habit, not because I can't.) I do struggle with the normal getting back into shape woes and building my lung capacity.

So take great comfort knowing you're not alone, and that it does improve. But as a safety precaution I'd have those other lovely medical issues looked into such as you stated your thyroid etc. Better safe than sorry. Because there are other health issues that cause these symptoms. Fortunately I've had everything tested and ruled out int he process of trying to find a cause of digestive issues. Good luck on resolving your issues and hopefully you'll feel like your old self soon!
Positive Dietary Challenge, firmly believing gluten-free is the way to be!
gluten-free since Nov. 18, 2004.

Always learning along with the rest of everyone else... a never ending process.
Dana :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 curiousJ

curiousJ

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 10:22 AM

Hi there!

I'm a marathon runner & was diagnosed in August, 2004. My main problem before going gluten-free was anemia - got so bad that my skin tone changed (i.e., no "rosy cheeks") not to mention that I often had to walk up hills. After going gluten-free & taking iron pills, I ran my personal best marathon in October (yahoo!).

Although it's more difficult to "refuel" nowadays - at races, for example, the organizers often provide bagels for breakfast & sponsor a pre-race pasta dinner, etc. - if you're careful, there's lots of runner-friendly stuff you can still eat (e.g., some flavors of Balance bars, dried fruit, GU, trail mix,... are some of my favorites). Of course, as a runner, you have to make sure you eat lots of carbs (i.e., "high energy" food). Just do the pre-race pasta dinner with rice noodles...

happy trails!

#48 Guest_BellyTimber_*

Guest_BellyTimber_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2005 - 06:30 AM

I walk at least a couple of miles a day, but most people say, too slowly.

I've just joined a gym attached to my work place and I was 'inducted' on two bikes, a walking machine and a cross-trainer. Looks fun, and simple, and not strenuous. Was out of breath trying it.

Not putting enough muscle on when young and malabsorbing is probably something to do with it.

#49 Guest_BellyTimber_*

Guest_BellyTimber_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2005 - 06:35 AM

p.s. the new avatar is NOT me practising for "tossing the caber", in fact it bears no resemblance to me whatever!!!!!

;)

#50 dick'sgal

dick'sgal

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 05:42 PM

This is a response to all you who exercise. I have been diagnosed as a celiac for about three years. In the beginning I continued to exercise (Jazzercise), sometimes three or four times a week. Just lately I have found myself sometimes short of breath, so I have tried to cut back. But, I really like exercising, it makes me feel healthy. I enjoy this group so much. It's just great.
Dick's gal

#51 elonwy

elonwy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:32 PM

I used to be crazy energy girl went to the gym 5 days a week and swimming class before I started getting really sick. I didn't lose weight when I got sick, kinda the opposite I got this weird puffy water-like weight gain that wouldn't go away.
I've lost the poofed out belly and the puffyness and went back to the gym for the first time on Monday. Did 25 minutes of stairmaster ( about died), then did Muscle sculpting class on Wednesday ( took it easy had a bit of trouble keeping up), then did yoga class today ( sat out a couple moves), but I feel amazing and the best part is, I don't really hurt that much. I used to get such bad muscle pain that I would down Alleve like candy and just lie there, exhausted. I took it easy cause its been awhile, but not having that crazy muscle aches is so incredible.
I do get insanely starving though. I came back from yoga today and inhaled my food and was looking for more. I told my instructors what I had been going through ( the yoga guy's bf has celiac disease!)
and they were awesome in response to it, especially since I dissapeared from their classes about 6 months ago unexplicably.
I find that my energy is coming back, its slow but I think mine might be faster than some but I wasn't Really badly sick for all that long ( 8 mos). ( sorry for the bad grammar).
It's been a month and I'm back at the gym, taking it easy but excited about the new rock wall they are building.
Not sure about the swimming anymore because I had duodenal ulcers from H. Pylori, pretty sure that was from the pool.
Elonwy
Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05
Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05
gluten-free since 7/23/05
Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

#52 nettiebeads

nettiebeads

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 04:12 AM

Glad to hear you are doing so well after being gluten-free. You are much younger than me so your body will respond more quickly than mine has lately :angry: I'm 46 and try to get to the gym, but work and such... Excersize is so good at reducing stress, which I am realizing is harder to handle with the celiac disease. And then when I accidentally get glutenized, I'm out for a week or more from that dang fatigue. So then when i finally get back to the gym I have to start all over again it seems. Keep up the good work!
gluten-free since Oct 1996

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: