Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Aveeno Says Product Is Gluten Free But Lies!

• Please log in to reply

5 replies to this topic

#1 Terbie

Terbie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 10:15 AM

I just got off the phone is an Aveeno customer service representative and I am completely pissed off!

I asked if a particular product is gluten free and she said that it is. Then I asked if it contained oats (because lots of Aveeno products do) to see if there might be a chance that I would get glutened from the oats and the woman said that she didn't know.

Then, I asked if there oats were certified as gluten free and she had to go ask her manager. She came back and said that their products are only tested for wheat. She said that their oats and parsley aren't certified gluten free.

Parsley?!? Huh?

I doubled checked that I heard her correctly and she said yes. That the only thing that they test for is wheat, NOT GLUTEN.

How is your product gluten free if you don't test for it?!?

Answer: "Because we say it is."

Excuse me?!?!?!?

Not only that, the woman started lecturing me on the fact that I need to educate myself about gluten because it's found not only in wheat, but also in parsley!!! Parsley?!?

I said that gluten is found in wheat, barley, and rye, not parsley. I also told her that wheat free and gluten free are NOT the same thing and that they shouldn't tell people that their products are gluten free if they are only wheat free because that could seriously hurt someone. She said that I needed to educate myself more on gluten because I obviously didn't know what I was talking about.

WHAT THE?!?

PLEASE contact the company with me and demand that they stop telling people that their products are gluten free when they really only test for wheat in their products! Here is their contact info online: https://www.aveeno.com/contact-us.jsp

Also, don't try the number on the back of your Aveeno product. I called it and person on the other line said, "Hi, this is Universal Studios." I called again to double check and behold, the number on the product is wrong. Here is the correct number I got off the website: 1-877-298-2525

Stop using all your Aveeno products! Even if they said that they are gluten free because apparently they don't actually test for it!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 MyMississippi

MyMississippi

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 10:35 AM

Gluten in Parsley????????????????????????? :lol:

It's hard to get "good help" these days.
CeeCee

Allergic to: wheat, peanuts and Penicillin
1995 severe anaphylactic reaction to Wheat

Gluten free since Sept. 2006

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently"--- Henry Ford

#3 ShayFL

ShayFL

ShayFL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 12:43 PM

Barley and parsley sound similar phonetically. She is sooooo confused. I avoid their products anyway because of the oats. I use mostly Dove and Burt's Bees that I know are safe.
GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,767 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 12:53 PM

I just got off the phone is an Aveeno customer service representative and I am completely pissed off!

I asked if a particular product is gluten free and she said that it is. Then I asked if it contained oats (because lots of Aveeno products do) to see if there might be a chance that I would get glutened from the oats and the woman said that she didn't know.

Then, I asked if there oats were certified as gluten free and she had to go ask her manager. She came back and said that their products are only tested for wheat. She said that their oats and parsley aren't certified gluten free.

Parsley?!? Huh?

I doubled checked that I heard her correctly and she said yes. That the only thing that they test for is wheat, NOT GLUTEN.

How is your product gluten free if you don't test for it?!?

Answer: "Because we say it is."

Excuse me?!?!?!?

Not only that, the woman started lecturing me on the fact that I need to educate myself about gluten because it's found not only in wheat, but also in parsley!!! Parsley?!?

I said that gluten is found in wheat, barley, and rye, not parsley. I also told her that wheat free and gluten free are NOT the same thing and that they shouldn't tell people that their products are gluten free if they are only wheat free because that could seriously hurt someone. She said that I needed to educate myself more on gluten because I obviously didn't know what I was talking about.

WHAT THE?!?

PLEASE contact the company with me and demand that they stop telling people that their products are gluten free when they really only test for wheat in their products! Here is their contact info online: https://www.aveeno.com/contact-us.jsp

Also, don't try the number on the back of your Aveeno product. I called it and person on the other line said, "Hi, this is Universal Studios." I called again to double check and behold, the number on the product is wrong. Here is the correct number I got off the website: 1-877-298-2525

Stop using all your Aveeno products! Even if they said that they are gluten free because apparently they don't actually test for it!

I would toss that product it may be counterfit with an interesting phone number like that. Did you read the rep the UPC code to verify that it was actually a product of theirs, not that that couldn't be faked also.
I also avoid their products and since you were talking to a rep in heaven knows where I agree with Shay that they were most likely saying barley. I do agree they are giving misleading info though if they ignore the oat issue.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 Terbie

Terbie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:35 AM

I bought the product at a huge chain grocery store (Ralphs) a few months back before I knew that you really shouldn't use beauty products that aren't gluten free. I hadn't used it yet.

Counterfeit? Geez, that would be a twist! I figured that they just changed their phone number.

Aveeno makes that product because the woman on the phone knew what I was talking about, so at least that's true.

All I know is, I wanted to post my experience just in case people were searching online about Aveeno because what they said on the phone doesn't lead me to believe their product is safe and I wanted people to know. Plus, mixing up parsley and barley would be really amusing if it wasn't so dangerous. The woman was SO sure that she knew what she was talking about. Sigh. :rolleyes:

#6 Phyllis28

Phyllis28

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:37 PM

I am sorry to hear Aveeno customer reps are not trainned well. I always use Dove products.

I usually start a conversation or e-mail with one of the two following statements depending on who I am talking to:

Is your product gluten free? Does it contain any wheat, oats, rye or barley?

OR

Does your product contain an wheat, oats rye or barley?

I try to never assume the person on the other end of the phone actually knows what gluten is.
Phyllis

Gluten Free - 30 years

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: