Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Pierogie Casserole

11 posts in this topic

This is adapted (easily) from DinnerPlanner.org:

PIEROGIE CASSEROLE - PITTSBURGH STYLE

INGREDIENTS:

10 Tinkyada lasagna noodles cooked (If you can't find them, use any gluten-free small pasta, like shells or macaroni. If absolutely desperate, use rice!)

1 (24 oz) package of Simply Potatoes

8 oz. sour cream

1 tablespoon chives

2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese

1 large white onion - chopped

1 stick butter

Salt & Pepper

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Melt stick of butter and slowly saute onions careful not to burn. Lightly salt & pepper onion mixture.

Microwave potatoes according to directions.

Lightly coat the bottom of your lasagna pan with butter.

Place 5 noodles on bottom of lasagna pan overlapping each other.

Spread half of the onion & butter mixture over noodles.

Add mashed potatoes - spreading across top of the noodles with a spatula, salt & pepper.

Mix sour cream & chives, spread this layer on top of potato layer covering all of the potatoes.

Sprinkle cheese on top of the sour cream mixture.

Add the remaining 5 lasagna noodles same as the bottom layer.

Spread the rest of the onion & butter on top of the noodles. Sprinkle remaining cheese over noodles.

Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Let stand for about 10 minutes before cutting.

Go Steelers!

Ads by Google:

mmmmmm sour cream, cheese AND butter. How could it be bad? :P

It's times like this I really wish I could eat dairy...... :rolleyes:

What style of "simply potatoes" do you use? Sounds yummy BTW!

MMMmmm, that sounds so great!! I think I'll make it for the rest of us since Carleigh can't have the dairy. I'll make her mashed potatoes with Vance's DariFree.

((Patti))

It's times like this I really wish I could eat dairy...... :rolleyes:

It's times like this I gain 10 lbs just reading a recipe. :blink: I eat a lot of avocado in place of cheese, I can eat cheese but not too much of it.

I wonder if coconut milk with lemon juice could be substituted for the sour cream, and olive oil for the butter ? That still leaves the problem of the cheese topping. It might taste good topped with guacamole but it's going to look funny.

This sounds so great. My husband grew up eating pierogies so he will love this too. What are Simply Potatoes (brand)?

Simply Potatoes is a brand of pre-fab potatoes (http://www.simplypotatoes.com/). I'm assuming that the recipe means mashed potatoes; I'm planning to use Potato Buds, and yes, I think coconut milk or any dairy-free milk would be fine. Dairy-free sour cream, too.

Jerseyangel, I was wondering if using a risotto-type rice with chicken broth, soy milk, soy sour cream or soy cream cheese, and turmeric or curry for coloring would be a decent substitute for the cheese? If you cooked the rice past the al dente stage, so it would be sort of melty?

I think the guacamole sounds good, too, if a little green. Or maybe a white bean dip with lots of garlic?

And the non-dairy cheese substitutes have gotten a lot better in the last 10 years. We have Vegan-rella--I don't know how well it melts, but the taste isn't bad at all (we are currently experimenting with dairy-free for oldest son, who may have some neuro issues connected with dairy, but not sure).

Be sure to read labels--most of them seem to have casein, which makes no sense whatsoever in a supposedly non-dairy cheese.

I made this tonight and ... holy cow... is it DELICIOUS!!! Thanks so much for posting it! I'd SOOO been missing Pierogies and this was an awesome "remake."

Edited to add... And those Steelers kicked some butt, didn't they?????

I just made this. I did not have the potatoes listed but got online and found out what they were and appx how many servings in a container. I used instant potatoes as a substitute. The only thing I would change is add more onion. I love onions! It turned out great. Nobody else in the family would eat it so I brought it to work for the weekend. I'll have supper all three nights and some to share! I grew up in northwestern PA and ate alot of pierogies growing up.

I made his last week and it is delicious. I used real mashed potatoes. I too would add more onions next time. My family asked me to be sure to make it again. Thanks for the recipe!