This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

All My Make-up, Shampoo, And Lotion Has Gluten!

ll79

jerseyangel Proficient

Very well said Lisa, thank you :)

I'm currently using Goldwell Color Shampoo and Conditioner that I found at Ulta.

• 1 month later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KPanther Newbie

I'd like to share the fruits of my research. I just spent the better part of the last week calling companies and corresponding with them via email to find out if their products are gluten/soy free. Since I can not have gluten AND soy, these items listed below are free of both. I hope this helps others in the forum!

Deodorant - Johnson's and Johnson's (specifically the cucumber melon scent) baby powder (gluten-free SF) - I use this instead of deodorant and it works fantastically. I can't find a nice-smelling gluten-free SF deodorant that received good reviews on Amazon/drugstore.com.

Mouthwash - Act cinnamon (gluten-free SF)

Shampoo - Gluten Free Savonneire Shampoo; California Baby Tea Tree & Lavender; Rene Furterer Naturia Gentle Balancing Shampoo, Rene Furterer Asteria Soothing Shampoo (all gluten-free SF)

Conditioner - Desert Essence Lemon Tea Tree & Desert Essence Fragrance Free; Gluten Free Savonneire Conditioner; California Baby Super Sensitive Conditioner; Rene Furterer Fioravanti Shine Enhancing Detangling Cream Rinse (all gluten-free SF)

Facial Wash - Aubrey Organics Vegecol (for sensitive skin); Avene Cleanance AC; Avene Cleanance Soap-Free Gel Cleanser; Avene Gentle Cleanser for Intolerant Skin (all gluten-free SF)

Facial Moisturizer - Avene Cleanance Oil-Control lotion; Avene Cream for Intolerant Skin; Avene Soothing Eye Cream (all gluten-free SF)

Body Moisturizer - Gluten Free Savonneire Lotion (gluten-free SF)

Lip Gloss - Afterglow Organic Hydra Lip Gloss (gluten-free SF)

Body Wash - Whole Foods 365 Value Grapefruit scented shower gel (gluten-free SF)

Hand Soap - Gluten Free Savonneire has several kinds that are gluten-free SF (gluten-free SF)

Makeup - Bare Escentuals Foundation, All-over color (Warmth, Bare Radiance), Mineral Veil, Eye liner & shadow. All are gluten-free SF.

The specific items I am sharing above were the ones that I am interested in....meaning...I have both sensitive AND oily skin. So I looked for a facial moisturizer meant for oil control - but the face cleansers are for my sensitive skin. I'm sure many of the companies I called have other products that are SF gluten-free for dry skin, normal skin, etc....but I didn't investigate those since I don't need that type of product.

Now, here are some UNSAFE items, or companies that were totally UNHELPFUL in my quest to find out if items were gluten-free and SF:

UNSAFE ITEMS LISTED BELOW UNSAFE ITEMS LISTED BELOW UNSAFE ITEMS LISTED BELOW UNSAFE ITEMS LISTED BELOW

Germ-X hand sanitizer (unsafe....and company was rude)

Neutrogena moisturizers (body and facial....unsafe...and company was rude)

Estee Lauder (foundation, lip gloss, moisturizers...everything I checked on! But the company was helpful and kind...I'll miss Estee Lauder.)

Aveda (all items I checked on were unsafe....and company gave me the runaround by just forwarding an ingredient list to me even though I had one in front of me....I needed to press them for info on ingredients "derived from" wheat/soy, etc) No more Aveda for me.

Udder Cream (soy filled, but gluten free)

Ban deodorant (the reason why I switched to baby powder) - company was unhelpful and gave me the "we can't control what our vendors add to ingredients they supply us with" line of bull. So...a vendor could supply them with a "fragrance" that also had a touch of rat piss added? And they can't tell the consumer that??

Giovanni shampoo/conditioner (soy filled)

Clinique All About Eyes (eye cream) - gluten filled, but soy free

UNSAFE ITEMS LISTED ABOVE UNSAFE ITEMS LISTED ABOVE UNSAFE ITEMS LISTED ABOVE UNSAFE ITEMS LISTED ABOVE

darlindeb25 Collaborator

This is truly a hot topic. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, it only matters how you feel, and what you think. I know I am gluten intolerant, much more reactive than many are. There is an acceptable level of 20ppm to justify saying a product is gluten free. Some of us cannot tolerate 20ppm, nor 10ppm, or even 5ppm. All grains cause a reaction in me. Just as gluten ON my body causes a reaction, most grains on my body cause a reaction. Gluten in a lotion or soap, burns my skin...within seconds of touching my skin with gluten, I feel the burn. I used Tresemme Shampoo to wash my car, knowing it contained gluten and not using for my hair, I didn't even think about reacting to it when washing the car...I broke out in hives. Oats make me itch, exactly the opposite of what we have always been told about oats, it's suppose to be soothing. So, I know I can't use products with gluten or other grains.

I use Pantene Shampoo and Conditioner, Garnier Nutresse is ok, Softsoap for the shower and handwashing, Dove Body Lotion, Sauve Hairspray..I still use Gleem toothpaste, which many do not even remember, and have to buy it off the internet, no longer available in the stores, Garnier Hair Color, and some of the Bath & Body works lotions and body sprays are safe, Johnsons Baby Powder, Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap, Lady Bug Blessings Peppermint Oil Lotion....there is a lot out there that we can use. It's a personal choice to give up gluten containing products for our bodies.

still tiredofdoctors Rookie

KPanther --

Thank you for a GREAT list! That is fantastic.

I don't know about soy-free, but my kids' friend (my kids are grown . . . ) started selling Arbonne. She got a list of gluten-free products for me -- I'd be happy to share it -- and I can give you her email address, if you'd like it.

With regard to Estee Lauder? YIKES. They own an INCREDIBLE amount of cosmetic companies: MAC, Clinique, Philsophy, Origins (I think), Jane (available in drug stores, etc.) . . . I'll have to think about the others. When I called them years ago, they were incredibly rude, as well. Also -- evidently Neutrogena hasn't changed their customer service attitude! When I called them years ago, I was told -- in a VERY snippy voice, "You need to ASSUME that all of our products contain gluten." Assume? Let me tell you how tempting that one was . . .

Thanks again for a great list.

Darlin Deb: I agree. My dermatologist INSISTED that gluten on my skin could NOT cause a reaction. Perhaps he would like to explain why any time I use something with gluten I get these really AWFUL lesions on whatever area I used it . . . He rolled his eyes -- and I asked him to tell me why I was bleeding at all these spots . . . he never did give me an answer. Thanks for your input, too! Where do you get the Lady Bug Blessings peppermint lotion?

Oh -- also, I found this out: while Bare Essentials is gluten-free, RARE Essentials -- the one you can wear at night -- ISN'T!! Also, I think it is "L'Orac" (?) I don't know - it was outrageously expensive at Sephora - is NOT gluten-free!

I have found that our local Sephora is fantastic about checking on gluten-free status for me. THEY actually call the company rep while I'm there . . . and will either say, "It is DEFINITELY gluten-free" or they have even said, "I didn't like the answer I got . . . sounded questionable -- don't buy it!" It's been a really good experience shopping there.

KPanther Newbie

Hi -

I totally forgot to add some hair styling products to my "safe" list that I posted yesterday. To "still tiredofdoctors!" - thank you for the offer to put me in touch with your friend (the one who sells Arbonne). I think I'll be set now since I found a lot of safe alternatives for my body care/beauty products.

Here are some additions to my SAFE list. These items are gluten free AND soy free:

Hair styling products: Rene FurtererAnti-Dehydrating Vegetal Styling Spritz (good for wet hair while blow-drying it); Rene FurtererStyling Wax Sheer Shine (great for thicker hair with flyaways - use on dry hair to add texture); Rene Furterer Finishing Spray (hair spray - I believe this is good for all hair types); Rene Furterer Styling Paste (good for NON-thick/course hair. I spoke with an educator at Rene Furterer, and he told me to use the Wax Sheer Shine instead of paste. With my hair - thick, coarse, flyaways - the Paste was not for me!! The Rene Furterer Styling Paste is gluten-free/SF.) You can find Rene Furterer on drugstore.com/beauty.com

Lip balm: Gluten Free Savonnerie lip balm (Open Original Shared Link)

Rene Furterer was AWESOME and so helpful. When I called their toll-free number for assistance, they gave me the name and phone number of one of their educators to speak with. I called him and it was his cell number. He was literally traveling for business when I was on the phone with him - yet he patiently helped me find safe products. He knew exactly what was in each product (off the top of his head) - incredible!!! Rene Furterer's sister company is Avene - they make facial care products. I highly recommend both companies (Avene facial care, and Rene Furterer hair care). Both companies were so helpful and were dedicated to standing behind the safety of their products, and they ensured their customer (me) received the product information needed in order to make an educated decision. You can find Avene on drugstore.com.

I have a call in to Kiehl's (Open Original Shared Link) to check on their lip gloss. Their team of experts are checking on the product's soy/gluten content. Same with Matrix regarding their Proforma hair spray. Once I have updates on those two products, I'll add it to the forum here.

darlindeb25 Collaborator
Where do you get the Lady Bug Blessings peppermint lotion?

Open Original Shared Link At first, I thought I could only get it online, then we had our gluten free vendor fair, and a lady was selling it. Cost just about the same price from her though as it does with shipping online. It's well worth it's cost. I get this rash on my tummy, and this peppermint lotion is the only thing that clears it up. I also use it on my feet, keeps them soft, which has always been a major issue for me. My daughter often teased me about my feet, we agreed, I used to be able to sand wood with them! :lol: Peppermint lotion is great on sunburn too, well, probably any burn.

sylviaann Apprentice
This is truly a hot topic. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, it only matters how you feel, and what you think. I know I am gluten intolerant, much more reactive than many are. There is an acceptable level of 20ppm to justify saying a product is gluten free. Some of us cannot tolerate 20ppm, nor 10ppm, or even 5ppm. All grains cause a reaction in me. Just as gluten ON my body causes a reaction, most grains on my body cause a reaction. Gluten in a lotion or soap, burns my skin...within seconds of touching my skin with gluten, I feel the burn. I used Tresemme Shampoo to wash my car, knowing it contained gluten and not using for my hair, I didn't even think about reacting to it when washing the car...I broke out in hives. Oats make me itch, exactly the opposite of what we have always been told about oats, it's suppose to be soothing. So, I know I can't use products with gluten or other grains.

I use Pantene Shampoo and Conditioner, Garnier Nutresse is ok, Softsoap for the shower and handwashing, Dove Body Lotion, Sauve Hairspray..I still use Gleem toothpaste, which many do not even remember, and have to buy it off the internet, no longer available in the stores, Garnier Hair Color, and some of the Bath & Body works lotions and body sprays are safe, Johnsons Baby Powder, Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap, Lady Bug Blessings Peppermint Oil Lotion....there is a lot out there that we can use. It's a personal choice to give up gluten containing products for our bodies.

Hey Deb!

Have you called Pantene recently?? I was advised several months ago by a company representative that they could not guarantee that Pantene shampoo and conditioners were gluten free due to the fragrance in the product. The fragrance is "proprietary info" and therefore, they could tell me what specific ingredients are in the fragrance. I found this to be true with many cosmetic products. Now when I am inquiring about a cosmetic product, I will question every company specifically about the fragrance. Most companies will resond with the standard "I don't know" or it is proprietary info, BUT yet they will say the product is gluten-free!! I stopped using Pantene products several months ago and switched to California Baby super sensitive shampoo and Shikai conditioner.

Sylviaann:)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 6 months later...
SaraLynnMusic Newbie

I am trying to approach my recent diagnosis of Celiac Disease in a proactive and positive way. Since I've been on the gluten free diet for just 2 months I can't say whether or not something affects me from a wheat allergy perspective or if it's an internal Celiac issue; but, I've decided to try to eliminate all gluten etc. from my topical products as well for the time being until my GI issues calm down some and hopefully return to normal.

I am guessing that a lot of you are from the U.S. from some of the products and stores you mention. Here in Canada I have managed to find gluten free shampoo and conditioner from Curelle. They don't appear to have a website up and running yet; but, not only are they gluten free, they are also less toxic in every other way too. There is also an eco neutral salon in Yaletown, Vancouver that uses as many natural products as possible: Open Original Shared Link

I have read that Crest toothpaste products are gluten free and I'm using Crest toothpaste now instead of the Sensodyne (contains gluten) that I was previously using. If anyone knows differently about Crest please let me know.

Does anyone here go to a salon to have their hair colored? Would you happen to know if Goldwell Commericial Hair Colouring products contain wheat or gluten in them? I've sent them a comment via internet with no reply as yet.

For deoderant products I've been using Dove and was assured it was gluten free. Great thing is you are also supporting their self esteem program with every purchase. Does anyone know if their shampoos and conditioners are also gluten free?

For soap I use Canus Goat's Milk Soap - Original formula. Everyone who comes to my house comments on how great it is for your skin and that is smells so wonderful. I even had someone phone me from her cell phone as she left my house to ask what kind of soap it was. LOL! I wrote to the company and checked regarding gluten and this was the response "You can use all of our fragrances except for the products with Olive Oil & Wheat Proteins (Bar soap, body wash, body lotion, body butter, liquid hand soap, lip balm, Foaming Milk Bath, etc) because they contain Hydroticum WAA and Olyvoil Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein which can be bad for you. DO NOT worry about using our other fragrances; the original formula, Marigold Oil, Shea Butter and Orchid Oil." You can find the gluten free soaps and products at London Drugs, Safeway, Rexall Drug Store, and numerous other Canadian grocery stores and drug stores. Here's a link to their site: Open Original Shared Link

Nice to see an active group on here and know I'm not alone. Recovery is taking much longer than I had anticipated.

- Sara

samcarter Contributor

I, too, used to think i didn't need to worry about my shampoos and other personal care products. But then I realized that I've had a scabby, red, painful rash on my forehead, right around my hairline, ever since I started using a JASON brand shampoo that has wheat protein. I didn't check the label, was just using it because it's sulfate-free (i avoid SLS), and that's when the rash started. I thought it was acne but acne treatment wasn't working at all.

Shikai shampoos and conditioners are gluten free. For soap, try Kiss My Face Olive Oil soap; it's only got three ingredients and is very pure. Neutrogena products are pretty much all gluten free; the manufacturer will provide a list.

tatersalad Newbie

Hello!

Hope this helps! I contacted them last week and received my reply. I know this has been posted on here in several locations as being gluten-free, and I still checked to be safe. As you can see, it is not 100% gluten-free :

Thanks for contacting Pantene.

We know Celiac is a serious disease, so we want to give you clear information regarding the use of our beauty care products. If wheat and/or gluten aren't directly added to a product by us, these ingredients won't be listed on our packages. Like many companies, we often purchase the scents for fragranced products from outside suppliers, and the components of these substances are proprietary information belonging to those companies. Therefore it's possible that a very small amount (generally parts per million) of gluten may be present.

We sought advice from physicians; they told us it would be very unlikely a person with Celiac disease would have a reaction from a trace amount of gluten coming into contact with his skin or hair. This is because wheat, rye, barley and/or gluten generally cause symptoms when they're ingested. Since our beauty care products are designed to be used externally on the skin, their use shouldn't be an issue for someone with this disease.

Since gluten sensitivity can vary among people, it would be best if you consulted with your physician about the use of all types of consumable goods, if you haven't already. You might even consider using one of our fragrance free products that doesn't list gluten or wheat extracts on the label.

Thanks again for getting in touch with us. I hope this response has been helpful to you. For more information about Celiac, you may want to check out Open Original Shared Link and Open Original Shared Link

John

Pantene Team

• 5 months later...
Frances03 Enthusiast

I found this on the Giovanni website. It doesn't sound like any of their products are necessarily gluten free.

Q Do your products contain Gluten?

A Our product formulations contain ingredients that are derived from a variety of sources and combinations of derivatives. They are manufactured where products with gluten are also produced. With this in mind, we cannot ensure cross contamination will not occur during the manufacturing process. We cannot explicitly guarantee that are products are gluten-free.

If you are sensitive to an ingredient or want to decrease your exposure to a specific ingredient, it is important to know exactly what your personal care products are made of before your purchase. Therefore, we suggest that you study the product in question to know what ingredients are used. Due to the chain of supply certain Giovanni products may have previous ingredient statements. Please refer to the ingredient label as affixed to or printed on each product.

We understand how difficult it can be finding products that meet the requirements of a restricted lifestyle and we wish you success in finding the product that meets your needs.

Many people with sensitivities and allergies have used our products with great success.

Archived