This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Cosmetic Products Free Of Salicylates

sylviaann

sylviaann Apprentice

I have been Gluten Free since last April and like many of us, have developed numerous additional sensitivities including MSG, Aspartame (artificial sweeteners), Soy, Dairy, and corn. My most recent sensitivity discovery is Salicylates so I feel as though I am "starting over"again (for the fourth time) with learning what products are safe for me to use.

Has anyone had the exact sensitivities and if so, can you please recommend some quality cosmetic products that are free of the ingredients above + free of salicylates and chemicals including:

-Face cream (I have dry skin)

-eye cream

-Body lotion

-hand lotion

-bath oil

-Lipstick (I really need this)

-Foundation (light coverage for dry skin)

-Concealer

-Pressed powder

-blush or bronzer

-toothpaste

Thank you for your ideas and anyone who has encountered a similar experience.

Warmest Regards,

Sylvia Ann

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient
I have been Gluten Free since last April and like many of us, have developed numerous additional sensitivities including MSG, Aspartame (artificial sweeteners), Soy, Dairy, and corn. My most recent sensitivity discovery is Salicylates so I feel as though I am "starting over"again (for the fourth time) with learning what products are safe for me to use.

Has anyone had the exact sensitivities and if so, can you please recommend some quality cosmetic products that are free of the ingredients above + free of salicylates and chemicals including:

-Face cream (I have dry skin)

-eye cream

-Body lotion

-hand lotion

-bath oil

-Lipstick (I really need this)

-Foundation (light coverage for dry skin)

-Concealer

-Pressed powder

-blush or bronzer

-toothpaste

Thank you for your ideas and anyone who has encountered a similar experience.

Warmest Regards,

Sylvia Ann

Hi Sylvia Ann,

I love the products from this company--

Open Original Shared Link

I have spoken to the owner by phone and she assured me she works closely with the chemist to insure the products are gluten-free.

gf-soph Apprentice

Hi Sylvia Ann

I am about to start a chemical elimination diet that requires I use products that are low in salicylates, amines, glutamate, preservatives and fragrance - not an easy ask! I have found the website Open Original Shared Link useful, specifically Open Original Shared Link - they have recommended products. I live in Australia so not sure if the brands are the same for you, but the ones recommended to me are -

Cetaphyl.

Ego QV wash

dermeze ointment

Alchemy

Several chemists here sell an own-brand toothpaste that is recommended.

I think I remember hearing that pure mineral makeup was also recommended.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but hopefully the website can be!

Sophie

sylviaann Apprentice
Hi Sylvia Ann,

I love the products from this company--

I have spoken to the owner by phone and she assured me she works closely with the chemist to insure the products are gluten-free.

Thank you Patti :) I will be looking at this website today! Do you purchase lipsticks and foundation from this company? Do you happen to know if Rachel 24 is still active on the forum. I was hoping to connect with her since I read she has the same problem with Salicylates. She would be a great resource for me on this topic.

Thanks a million,

Sylvia Ann

minniejack Contributor

I just got off the Sephora website and saw your posting. :D: Sephora Pure is a new line that has what you're looking for.

The environmental working group, ewg.org, has a site that shows makeup and their toxicity ranking. Open Original Shared Link

It looks like Coastal Classic Creations has really good stuff. I can only find them online and have yet to try.

As far as cleansers go, we use Dr. Bronner's castille soap. Yes to carrots and alba lip glosses/tints. Physicians Formula has a new organic line that I like, too. I just purchased their really cute mascara that looks like a leaf. L'Oreal Naturale is a really good mascara, too.

Tru-Kid and giovanni hair care lines are really good, too. A lot of good stuff can be found at Target.

We've run into the exact same problem. It seems that our bodies are just sensitive to everything.

I'm a very disillusioned Mary Kay rep who will discontinue selling next month because of all of the problems with their makeup including wheat/sali/parabens in them. It took me awhile to figure out why some of the products caused me problems and then I looked up the ingredients! Aargh!

jerseyangel Proficient
Thank you Patti :) I will be looking at this website today! Do you purchase lipsticks and foundation from this company? Do you happen to know if Rachel 24 is still active on the forum. I was hoping to connect with her since I read she has the same problem with Salicylates. She would be a great resource for me on this topic.

Thanks a million,

Sylvia Ann

I use their lip gloss--very nice. I also use the Moisture Cream and the Body Lotion. Both are unscented and (I think) work well for dry skin.

I don't use liquid foundation, I use mineral type from here--

They allow you to purchase trial sizes--there's a long thread here about them, lots of us love the mineral foundations and eye makeup.

Rachel no longer posts on this board.

minniejack Contributor

I completely forgot about coconut oil--it has about a 1000 and 1 uses. You need the "Virgin" kind to do the most benefit. Found at health food stores and GNC's

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sylviaann Apprentice
I completely forgot about coconut oil--it has about a 1000 and 1 uses. You need the "Virgin" kind to do the most benefit. Found at health food stores and GNC's

I have three jars of the extra virgin coconut oil but I recentlly read that coconut is high in salicylates.

Wouldn't coconut oil be off limits?

Sylvia Ann :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Just a note since you mention that you have issues with soy. Someone mentioned the Giovanni line of products. The Giovanni line is great if you don't have issues with soy but if you do they will not be for you. Everything I have checked has soy in it.

jerseyangel Proficient

I have dietary issues with soy, but I use the Giovanni shampoos and conditioners with no problems. Sounds odd but I have such a problem finding hair care that I can tolerate that I tried these on a lark. To my surprise, no reactions and I like how moisturizing it is.

sylviaann Apprentice
I have dietary issues with soy, but I use the Giovanni shampoos and conditioners with no problems. Sounds odd but I have such a problem finding hair care that I can tolerate that I tried these on a lark. To my surprise, no reactions and I like how moisturizing it is.

Unfortunately, I cannot use Giovanni products. I had a severe skin reaction (eyelids) after using their shampoo and conditioner last year. It took me a few weeks to realize it was the Hydrolgzed (spelling error) Soy protein that made my eye lids red, irritated and dry. My eyes also burned and were extremely irritated from these products. I learned that I cannot use any products that use the word "hydrolgized" (wrong spelling) or I will have a reaction.

Sylvia Ann

jerseyangel Proficient
Unfortunately, I cannot use Giovanni products. I had a severe skin reaction (eyelids) after using their shampoo and conditioner last year. It took me a few weeks to realize it was the Hydrolgzed (spelling error) Soy protein that made my eye lids red, irritated and dry. My eyes also burned and were extremely irritated from these products. I learned that I cannot use any products that use the word "hydrolgized" (wrong spelling) or I will have a reaction.

Sylvia Ann

I get those types of reactions with lots of shampoos and soaps. Somehow I lucked out with the Giovanni. I actually am much more sensitive to things where the primary ingredient is coconut.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Yea I loved their Smooth as Silk conditioner. Perhaps I have issues because I have both an intolerance and an actual allergy to soy. I really miss their products. :(

jerseyangel Proficient
Yea I loved their Smooth as Silk conditioner. Perhaps I have issues because I have both an intolerance and an actual allergy to soy. I really miss their products. :(

I'm fortunate in that I don't have an allergy to soy--the Smooth as Silk Shampoo and Conditioner are what I use. I'm just happy to have found it. I think it was harder to find decent personal care products that work for me than foods! :P

I use those and Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild soap in the shower. The best part is I can get them all at my grocery store!

sylviaann Apprentice
I'm fortunate in that I don't have an allergy to soy--the Smooth as Silk Shampoo and Conditioner are what I use. I'm just happy to have found it. I think it was harder to find decent personal care products that work for me than foods! :P

I use those and Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild soap in the shower. The best part is I can get them all at my grocery store!

I am always hearing about Dr. Bronner's products but I have yet to try them. Are they all gluten-free and salicylate free?

BTW, I am seriously wondering if I have a problem with coconut. I reacted severely to a gluten-free lip Balm called Sanre "Choclate Kiss" (my lips got extremely chapped and irritated). It contains coconut oil and cocoa. I recenty tried Badger Balm's unscented lip balm and I also had a reaction after using it for several days. It contains Castor oil.... both of these ingredients are salicylates!

Of course..I recently ordered/received three jars of extra virgin coconut oil and now I am afraid to cook with it or rub on my skin! Do you know of anyone with a sensitivity to salicylates who was able to eventually go back to eating "normally"-i.e. gluten free but could eat foods high in salicylates?

Does Leaky Gut cause this?

Sylvia Ann

Heidi S. Rookie
I just got off the Sephora website and saw your posting. :D: Sephora Pure is a new line that has what you're looking for.

The environmental working group, ewg.org, has a site that shows makeup and their toxicity ranking. Open Original Shared Link

It looks like Coastal Classic Creations has really good stuff. I can only find them online and have yet to try.

As far as cleansers go, we use Dr. Bronner's castille soap. Yes to carrots and alba lip glosses/tints. Physicians Formula has a new organic line that I like, too. I just purchased their really cute mascara that looks like a leaf. L'Oreal Naturale is a really good mascara, too.

Tru-Kid and giovanni hair care lines are really good, too. A lot of good stuff can be found at Target.

We've run into the exact same problem. It seems that our bodies are just sensitive to everything.

I'm a very disillusioned Mary Kay rep who will discontinue selling next month because of all of the problems with their makeup including wheat/sali/parabens in them. It took me awhile to figure out why some of the products caused me problems and then I looked up the ingredients! Aargh!

Are Dr. Bronners, Yes to Carrots and Alba lip glosses gluten free? I was told that the Physicians Formula organic line has vitamin E (Tocopherals) was from wheat germ so I haven't tried it. Have you gotten word that it is gluten-free?

I know that California Baby ( & for sensitive adults) the Super Sensitive Shampoo and Body wash, No Fragrance is both gluten, soy, dairy, nut, and Salicylates free. They make a body lotion as well. I use them and love them. I buy them at Target in the baby section.

minniejack Contributor
Are Dr. Bronners, Yes to Carrots and Alba lip glosses gluten free? I was told that the Physicians Formula organic line has vitamin E (Tocopherals) was from wheat germ so I haven't tried it. Have you gotten word that it is gluten-free?

We've never had a problem with any of those. The only thing of the Phys Form that I tried was the powder without problem. I just bought the mascara because it will be free with the online form that you find by googling.

We seem to only major problem with ingesting the salicylates. Thank goodness because I've been using the coconut oil for about 4 months daily.

sylviaann Apprentice
We've never had a problem with any of those. The only thing of the Phys Form that I tried was the powder without problem. I just bought the mascara because it will be free with the online form that you find by googling.

We seem to only major problem with ingesting the salicylates. Thank goodness because I've been using the coconut oil for about 4 months daily.

So you are able to use pure extra virgin coconut oil on your skin with no reaction? My track record has not been good with skin absorption reactions so I don't think I am brave enough to risk it. After three years of myoclonic jerks, twitching and sleep deprivation, I am "over" being a risk taker!! :lol:

Sylvia Ann

Archived