This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do You Call Companies To Ask About Ingredients?

mytummyhurts

Have you called a company to find out more about questionable ingredients?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

mytummyhurts Contributor

I'm wondering how many people on here have actually called companies to find out what questionable ingredients are. I have yet to call and I'm not looking forward to having to do it. Is it a pain in the butt? Are they usually friendly and helpful or are they annoyed? Also, how do you word your question? Do you just have to ask if gluten is in an ingredient and they automatically know what you are talking about? Or do you have to explain what gluten is and how it can be a hidden ingredient?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

skbird Contributor

I have called at least one company - the company that makes a medicine called Mucinex when I had a really bad cold this winter. I usually email companies, though. A couple have been bad about returning emails - the Peelu company is the worst so far (they make a gum you can find in the health food store - 3 emails and two calls with no answer).

There was another supplement company I had trouble with initially, Planetary Formulas - several emails and phone calls (voice mail). Finally someone responded. But it turns out that while the ingredient I was concerned about is gluten-free, the other herbs are Chinese herbs and they can't guarantee their status, as the guy I contacted doesn't know Chinese. I can understand the idea that they couldn't control the ingredients but that they can't find out what they are because the guy doesn't know Chinese? How do they even know then they are getting the right herbs??? I found that response to be a little lame.

Despite all that, I do take some of their supplements and have not had any negative reaction to them. They are the only ones who make some of the formulas I like to take so I'm currently stuck there.

When I called the Mucinex company, I was prepared to have to go into detail and explain what gluten was but the woman on the phone immediately knew what I was talking about and could clearly explain that their product was gluten free. So I'd say it depends on the company and some will be easier to deal with than others.

Stephanie

mytummyhurts Contributor

I had e-mailed a company once too and they never got back to me. I explained in my e-mail how important it was that I found out and apparently they didn't care. That makes me really mad though. It's like, I'm giving you my money and you don't care enough to type out a couple words. E-mail's an easy way for people to get off without answering, so I'm sure it's better to call.

Guest nini

I carry my cell phone with me in the grocery store and I have called companies right from the store. Frito Lay Co. was extremely helpful and took my name and address info and sent me lots of coupons as well as a current gluten free list. Malt O' Meal also sent coupons. Kroger is pretty helpful on a case by case basis, but they don't provide a list of all of their store brand gluten-free products. I've called Seeds of Change and Cedar Lane and they've been really helpful too.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Not a pain the butt at all. Some places need a little more guidance than others when asking, some know what you're talking about right away. I think I've called about 5 places and emailed another 10 or so. I've never had anyone get annoyed, but one or two who just couldn't help because they didn't have the information.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I do the same as Nisla and always have my cell with me in case I need to call a company. I think the companies would know me by name now :lol:

judy05 Apprentice

I've called several, McNeil(tylenol), Campbell's, several local companies. They all knew what gluten is, were very courteous, one got back to me 2 weeks late but I appreciated that she did get back to me. As others have said they thank you for calling and usually send a bunch of coupons. I called Tropicana and they said any juices with a code number starting with the number 48 means that it was made in a gluten free facility. Most companies put someone out there in a contact position who knows about gluten and other allergens. Don't be afraid to call, thats how we get the message out.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

Always call with the rare exception that many people verify that a product is gluten-free within a recent timeframe...then I might just read the label. It's not a big deal at all...but if you want to get a direct answer, sometimes you need to call...otherwise it can take awhile to get your answer.

I had to exchange e-mails with Baskin Robbins for days about a candy thing that they made. They kept saying it's gluten-free, but it might be contaminated and such, so it took awhile to get to the bottom of it ;)

skbird Contributor

Ahhhh, now that's a good reason for a cell phone. I don't have one yet (I can't believe the personal calls you hear when you're in the store!!! mortifying to me if obviously not to the perpetrator!!!) but when I do finally get one, that's one thing I'll use it for.

As for emailing, I felt it was wimpy but I'd say I have about a 95% response rate. One or two got back to me nearly a month later and another got back to me within a week and then replied again, same info, 4 months later!!! I thought that one was funny.

Also, many company web sites will give you info about whether or not their food is gluten-free. I really liked the Chicken of the Sea website - very obvious!

Stephanie

mytummyhurts Contributor

Well, my other problem is that I have social anxiety disorder. So thinking about calling people really stresses me out and I put it off for a long time. E-mail is impersonal so that doesn't bother me. But it also isn't as effective and takes a while to get answers from what it sounds like.

calico jo Rookie

I've called so many companies I can't even remember how many now. Once I got it established that a company would not hide a gluten containing ingredient in their labeling, I stopped calling that particular company.

Most are very helpful, but sometimes not very knowledgeable. The only negative experience I had was with Land O Lakes. They said they couldn't assure me that their products weren't exposed to cross contamination and that NOBODY should be guaranteeing me of this, because of how things are shipped. (but gosh, if things are sealed up, even if they're sitting next to an item with gluten in the back of a truck gluten isn't going to seep through a sealed container!) Whatever!!

skbird Contributor

Abby - my problem exactly. I totally have anxiety especially about calling people/companies. It has improved but is still a factor of my life. That's what I love about email. I have found it to work pretty well, too, so don't worry about calling if you're not up to it. I have only called maybe two places. The rest were email and I got 90% of the info I wanted.

Take care

Stephanie

mytummyhurts Contributor

Thanks, Stephanie. I'll try to start e-mailing more often and see if that works. :)

flagbabyds Collaborator

One time I wasn't sure about the ingredients so we asked a worker in Whole Foods to find it and then he called the company and told us that it wa gluten-free! I was so amazed! But my family has probablt called over 500 companies over the years, and their knowledge has gotten better as the years have progressd, there are still some companies who don't know anything, but there are some who are much better. I always go to their website first and see if they have it on their website or else we call them.

mytummyhurts Contributor

Okay, I just found something I don't like about e-mailing companies. I tried to write the people who make Hot Tamales and they wanted me to give them my address and birth date and almost every private thing I don't like to just throw out there. I don't like that at all. :angry:

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I love hot tamales...we have 2 brands alot ...what brand are you looking to find out about I may know the answer. If I don't someone else here might

celiac3270 Collaborator

I don't think I have social anxiety disorder or anything, but I just strongly dislike talking on the phone :D. I e-mail unless I need a quick answer or the company seems to dance around the topic in their e-mail response.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
but I just strongly dislike talking on the phone :D. I e-mail unless I need a quick answer or the company seems to dance around the topic in their e-mail response.

Yep typical guy not liking to talk on the phone :lol: They think a long coversation is 2 minutes :lol:;):P

celiac3270 Collaborator

lol :lol: ...nah, I can last three or four. :P

Archived