#16 T.H.

T.H.

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:16 PM

The Facts
# Autolysis is a chemical process in which salt and live yeast interacts. The salt causes the live yeast to essentially self-destruct--the digestive enzymes in the yeast "eat" themselves. This creates an inactive yeast with an entirely different set of proteins. Further processing creates autolyzed yeast extract. Many processed foods contain the ingredient; but what few are aware of is that autolyzed yeast extract, with its hearty flavoring, is also an abundant source of MSG.

Just out of curiosity - do you know where exactly barley is involved in the process of making autolyzed yeast? It's something I've looked at a number of times, and I honestly haven't found anything that explains it in a way that I can determine exaclty HOW barley is involved in the process, you know? Sounds like you've looked into this much more than I have, so hoping you might be able to explain it. :-)

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 mamabear272

mamabear272

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

I like to use this: http://allrecipes.co...mix/detail.aspx to replace the Onion Soup Mix. It tastes basically the same and, possible gluten issues aside, it's not chock full of artificial flavorings, colors, or preservatives.

I love this recipe! My 8 year old was asking for meatloaf for dinner tomorrow. I think I'm going to use this. Kills 2 birds: no gluten and no unnecessary chemicals! Thanks!
Molly
dx: celiac sprue 6/7/2011 via blood test and biopsy
gluten-free: 6/7/2011

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: