16 replies to this topic

#16 Tidings

Tidings

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 01:07 AM

You are right it is intriguing. I also have fructose malabsorption and pectin is a big no for me. Actually anything prebiotic (oligosaccharides and Fructo-oligosaccharides)tends to set a lot of us off such as chickory root, inulin, ect. Probiotics bother some of us as well so we don't use these as supplements or eat yogurt such as Fiber One, since it will make us worse. Anything too fermented such as sauerkraut also will do numbers on our g.i. Its part of the low fodmap diet that many with FM follow.
I've also heard that Gelatin is a natural source for sulphites and some that react to sulphites will react to Gelatin. I only know that red wine will make me look like rudolph and I blame the higher sulphites in red wine for that. Also cheap wines no matter what the varietal, will get me glowing :)

This stuff about sulphites is very interesting. Had not really considered sulphites as a problem, but when I look at the list on the following link, I do see several foods/substances that are known to provoke a reaction in my system:
http://www.hc-sc.gc....ulfites-eng.php

Substances like gelatin, pectin, chocolate (sometimes)... Not sure if it's the sulphites themselves that cause me problems or something else. What's interesting is that for several months earlier this year, I was taking a couple eyedrops for glaucoma that contained sulphites... I had a LOT of systemic problems during those months... Maybe a connection...

http://www.naturalhe...on/sulfites.htm

It is also interesting that adrenaline/epinephrine (which causes heart palpitations and irregular heartbeat when I have it) is one of the things used to counteract a severe sulfite reaction! (Maybe the old "hair of the dog" remedy at play?)
Thanks to Sarah at personalizedcause.com for allowing me to adapt their beautiful green Celiac Awareness ribbon as my "avatar" graphic.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 runnergirl88

runnergirl88

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

I have the same problem! You are not alone!
I notice that if I eat jell-o or even vitamins/meds that contain gelatin I don't feel well. Same reaction with the headache, joint pain, puffy eyes, and sleeping problems. Also, my lymph nodes seem swollen my underarms heart and groin...People keep telling me I'm crazy and its "impossible" nope...anything's possible. You're not alone trust me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: