arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

What Brand Of Gluten Free Flours Do You Buy?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 salexander421

salexander421

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:19 AM

Up until now I have always mainly bought Bobs Red Mill flours because of their manufacturing practices. It seems though that if I eat too much (even just a sandwich) of something made from their flours I start having "gluten reactions". Just wondering what brands those of you that are super sensitive use? I would love to grind my own but I don't have a way to grind it and not sure if it's more expensive that way or not. If you do grind your own where do you get your whole grains??
Proud breastfeeding, toddlerwearing, part time cosleeping, stay at home mom. Positive for two copies of DQ8, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge; biopsy showed gastritis, inflammation in the esophagus, and hiatial hernia but no signs of celiac. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/11/2011

ODD 3 1/2, positive for DQ8 and DQ6, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

YDD 2, no testing. Positive for DQ8 and DQ6. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 etta694

etta694

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:52 AM

Can I add a question here? What would everyone's favorite grinder be?
For large amounts? and for small amounts (1-2 cups)?
(Hope you don't mind me sneaking in this question :unsure: .)
Anemia and IBS through my life
2005 Joint pain, exhaustion, general feeling of not being well 2006 Beginning of testing for everything but Celiac 2008 Bloating, more muscle stiffness, feeling sicker, more exhausted-testing 'normal' 2010 March insides begin to shut down, cough that won't go away 2010 June Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, biopsy - all show no problems
Self diagnosed gluten intolerant - went gluten free. Within 3 days feeling better.
After 5 days - insides began to move
Now - feel better than I have felt for 15 years (except when I gluten myself.. which I'm good at)

#3 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:03 AM

I grind my own. I mentioned my grinder in your other post. I started out just using an inexpensive coffee grinder until I was sure that would be something I wanted to do. It's way cheaper to grind your own than to buy flour.

I get whole grain sorghum from Twin Valley mills. It's on the order form on their website. I used Lundberg rice, though I'm currently off it. For millet my best source was Eden Organic, buckwheat, birkett Mills.

It's important to sort and wash before grinding. I find "other grains" in my whole grains regularly. That's probably why gluten-free flour got me. I guess it's a small enough amount so that it doesn't bother other celiacs. Funny to think that I am sorting through enough grains to find less than 20 parts in a million. I must have sorted through a half million grains or so, based on how many other grains I've come across.

#4 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 04:21 PM

Idon'tfairwell with BRM flours either. There are ready made flours that are very good..Jules flour

betterbatterflour

meister's flour
tom sawyer flour

authenicflour blend

These are all premium blends ....

if you don't want to grind your own blend....

#5 salexander421

salexander421

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 06:36 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! :)
Proud breastfeeding, toddlerwearing, part time cosleeping, stay at home mom. Positive for two copies of DQ8, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge; biopsy showed gastritis, inflammation in the esophagus, and hiatial hernia but no signs of celiac. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/11/2011

ODD 3 1/2, positive for DQ8 and DQ6, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

YDD 2, no testing. Positive for DQ8 and DQ6. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

#6 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,123 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:39 PM

I got an old Hobart grinder off E-bay. Monster heavy duty thing. A farmer used it to grind corn for his critters. I don't use it much but it would grind an elephant if you cut it up small enough. Not real fine elephant meal, but not to rough either. I used it to grind split peas for flour. Great for instant pea soup. Weighs 50 lbs though, so not a lite weight.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: