8 replies to this topic

#1 anabananakins

anabananakins

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:48 PM

So, I've been gluten free a whole year now, woot! I couldn't imagine living the way I did before.

Walking around the supermarket the other night, I realised that so many foods I used to have to purposely not look at (because to do so would lead to an overwhelming desire to throw myself on the floor and sob WHY!) are now as invisible to me as the pet food section.

I feel comfortable with meal choices, there are enough places I know I can eat out at (though I'm saving a fortune by eating out so rarely) and enough people know that I don't have to have a conversation about it every time I turn around.

Best of all: my stomach no longer hurts, I can hold onto thoughts in my head and I don't walk into thing! Yay! I haven't had heart burn in a year; I used to live on antacid tablets. A dozen other weird, minor and seemingly inconsequential things have resolved, thereby improving my quality of life.

Thank you, thank you, thank you everyone here. If I hadn't been reading these boards before I went gluten free, I wouldn't have given it a proper chance. My testing was all negative, and while my GP has been very supportive and happy with my results, I wouldn't have gone gluten free if I'd only listened to her. I also would've ended up being one of those dreaded "gluten lite" people, because I wouldn't have understood the importance of being in 100%, or the risks of cross contamination. I wouldn't have found out the issues I had with other foods, as it took feeling great being gluten free to realise when other things weren't right.

Sure, it sucks at times not to be able to be free and easy with food. But that wasn't working for me, and doesn't work for a lot of people. This has forced me to slow down and THINK about what I'm putting in my mouth, and that can only (and is) leading to better health. I am very grateful for you all and wish you all all the best in your recovers, whatever stage you maybe at now. It does get better :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:31 AM

Hey anabananakins, congrats on your one-year anniversary. So great to hear that things are going well for you :) Shopping does get easier when ou realize how much of the supermarket you can just ignore entirely :D Never even give it a second glance.:lol: I can whizz in and whizz out real quick these days.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:01 AM

Congratulations! Good to know it's possible someday soon I can walk past the shells and cheese and not want to whimper. I try to think of it all as poison but I ate a lot of that particular poison before going gluten-free. It's amazing how much better I feel. I hope I feel as good as you sound like you do when I celebrate my anniversary!
If you over-salt a dish while you are cooking, that's too bad. Please recite with me the real woman's motto: 'I made it, you will eat it and I don't care how bad it tastes!'-unknown

#4 jstwnttbhealthy

jstwnttbhealthy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:05 AM

thank you for your positive story anabananakins. that's what i like to see more of! it gives us all hope.
Elisabeth

#5 catsmeow

catsmeow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:18 AM

Congrats on your one year anniversary. My anniverary was last month. I know what you mean about the gluten items becoming invisible. I still have tantrums when driving by Krispy Kreme donuts though....sigh.....but it ain't worth it, so all I can do is sulk.

Hasn't it been quite the learning experience over the last year? It's been a crash course for me.
You've cat to be kitten me right meow

Wheat Allergy-April 2010
Gluten Intolerant-April 2010
Dairy/casien intolerant-Aug 2012
Lactose intolerant- Aug 2012
Soy Intolerant-November 2012
October 2012- I learned that I am 1/2 Irish with a strong family history of Gluten Intolerance/Celiacs. I will never know If I am Celiac because I will never eat gluten again in order to test postive, it's poison and I do not ever want to feel the way I felt before implementing the gluten free diet EVER again!!!

#6 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:56 PM

Thanks guys! And I do totally agree about the whimpering and the tantrums. The supermarket food is invisible, but I do have moments of "Awww, man! I can never have X again!" as things I eat rarely suddenly come up again as (not) possibilities. *moment of silence for donut king donuts*. But, for the most part, it just gets easier all the time. Especially when I think of those things as being dusted with arsenic (which, with the donut example, gives me flashbacks to those "Flowers in the Attic" novels we were obsessed with in high school!)

#7 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:23 PM

Happy anniversary! :) :D
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#8 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:01 PM

Congratz on your 1rst year! I think that is probably the hardest to get through and adjust thinking about food and other stuff. Plus learning all the stuff too, that we need to lurn.

It just gets easier as time goes by too, for most people at least. People are amazingly adaptable, and we can change our ways when needed. I hope your 2nd and 3rd and etc years go even better! :)
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#9 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:52 AM

wow! how awesome, ana :) you made me think about my first year anv is coming up in a few months. hard to believe as i still feel like a beginner. wierd how life is adjusted, huh? i have adapted old comfort foods and added some new ones "go-to" meals lol CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: