This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Missed The Fourth Of July

jenngolightly

jenngolightly Contributor

I don't know the proper way of saying that I accidentally ate corn. Gluten is glutened, so I improvised. B)

I slept 20 hours on Monday because I accidentally ate some chocolate that had corn-something in it. I've had that brand before and didn't check the ingredients until my ds read them to me that night. I passed out at 8:30 pm and only woke for a few hours the next day. I missed all the events for the 4th. Bummer!

Still feeling some of the effects. I'm kind of shaky still. This is the first time I've majorly corn-tend myself (somebody PLEASE give me the right word to say this) since quitting a year ago. I didn't expect to feel so bad.

I guess I don't understand this fully. I'm not allergic and I don't have an autoimmune problem to corn, so why does it affect me the same way that gluten does?

Chocolate really is evil. I fell off the wagon and this is what I get. Torture.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

txplowgirl Enthusiast

I'm sorry you feel so bad, umm, maybe you "corned" yourself? :P Sorry about that but I couldn't help myself. I really feel for you, hope you get to feeling better.

kareng Grand Master

Sorry you are feeling yucky! I think some people have a similar to gluten reaction to corn.

Please! Don't loose faith in chocolate! It isn't evil. Some of the companies that mix it with unnatural additives are the evil ones.

Trying to come up with some jokes but they all seem corny and not very funny. I'm afraid the corn intolerant population would give me an earful or cob me over the head!

love2travel Mentor

Sorry you are feeling yucky! I think some people have a similar to gluten reaction to corn.

Please! Don't loose faith in chocolate! It isn't evil. Some of the companies that mix it with unnatural additives are the evil ones.

Trying to come up with some jokes but they all seem corny and not very funny. I'm afraid the corn intolerant population would give me an earful or cob me over the head!

You are a cornucopia of wit! :lol::lol:

kareng Grand Master

You are a cornucopia of wit! :lol::lol:

Thanks! Good one!

I hope people know I am not trying to be disrespectful. I just think it helps to laugh.

:P

annegirl Explorer

:D Hey, better to laugh than cry. ;)

I am so sorry to hear that you "corned" yourself! Funny thing, I did too! I cooked my ribs separate, made my own potato salad with homemade mayonnaise, used my own homemade bbq sauce and still got sick. The sad part was I had spent the whole afternoon making "everything free" food for the 4th evening party. We had a whole separate table of "free" goodness so that I could eat too, and then I was too sick.

Turns out the innocent ribs were packed in a solution to help them be "tender." Aaaaand I spent the evening with excruciating stomach pain on the floor of my parent's room.

I am so jealous! How have you managed to go a whole year without a good corning? I try try try and still am getting hit with it every couple of weeks. I think I'm extra sensitive maybe?

So sorry you didn't get to have a fun 4th. I say you hit redo and party this weekend! ;)

Goddessheart Newbie

I get the same symptoms from corn as I do from gluten too, the main thing is joint pain, thought it doesn't give me blood blisters in my mouth like gluten does. Even eating something like a dessert with casserole with a tiny bit of corn starch in is enough to make me sore for a fortnight.

And LOL, well I usually do say I "corned" myself!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Thanks! Good one!

I hope people know I am not trying to be disrespectful. I just think it helps to laugh.

:P

Of course! It's just so easy to get carried away. Plus, I'm usually a good sport. :-)

I am so jealous! How have you managed to go a whole year without a good corning? I try try try and still am getting hit with it every couple of weeks. I think I'm extra sensitive maybe?

I did the SCD diet for a year, that's how I kept from corning myself. :)

Now that I'm eating "real" food again, I'm having a difficult time learning what ingredients mean "corn." I know the keywords for gluten, but corn is another story. I just haven't had the time to learn them yet. I'm sure this won't be the last time I accidentally corn myself, but it was a stupid mistake and I'm hoping I don't do it every few weeks like you!

I learned from the SCD diet to cook all of my own foods, so I doubt that I'll get sick very often. It's just those goodies that tempt me and have a high likelihood of containing corn that will be my downfall. Candy. I'll have to learn how to make my own I guess.

I get the same symptoms from corn as I do from gluten too, the main thing is joint pain, thought it doesn't give me blood blisters in my mouth like gluten does. Even eating something like a dessert with casserole with a tiny bit of corn starch in is enough to make me sore for a fortnight.

And LOL, well I usually do say I "corned" myself!

Corn starch was one of the ingredients that made me realize that I was corn-intolerant. When I ate something made with it I got really sick - just like you.

annegirl Explorer

I did the SCD diet for a year, that's how I kept from corning myself. :)

Now that I'm eating "real" food again, I'm having a difficult time learning what ingredients mean "corn." I know the keywords for gluten, but corn is another story. I just haven't had the time to learn them yet. I'm sure this won't be the last time I accidentally corn myself, but it was a stupid mistake and I'm hoping I don't do it every few weeks like you!

I learned from the SCD diet to cook all of my own foods, so I doubt that I'll get sick very often. It's just those goodies that tempt me and have a high likelihood of containing corn that will be my downfall. Candy. I'll have to learn how to make my own I guess.

Hmm, I was thinking about doing that diet. Have the book, but still thinking....

I've gotten really good about knowing what foods mean corn. What has tripped me up lately is cc in oil, and then meat packed in a solution that I didn't even realize was there (you'd think it would be safe!). I definitely cook all my own food, and that cuts down on the problems. I think I also discovered that what I thought was cornings was actually soy in ice tea. Lovely.

And yeah, stay away from candy! I found a popsicle I can eat and boy do I eat them! Check out Dryer's All Natural Fruit Bars in snack size. :D

T.H. Community Regular

Now that I'm eating "real" food again, I'm having a difficult time learning what ingredients mean "corn." I know the keywords for gluten, but corn is another story. I just haven't had the time to learn them yet.

I found a big help with sites for corn allergy folks, like this one:

Open Original Shared Link

She lists lots of products with corn, ingredients that mean corn, etc... All in a big, nice list, you know?

I get the same thing, I react to anything with corn like it's gluten. After learning that I react to very small traces of gluten in everything else, I've been assuming it is trace gluten cc in much of the corn. But just to be sure...this year I'm growing corn. No fertilizers or anything else that might affect the test, just corn. I figure I can't get a more pure sample of corn that that, you know?

It'll be interesting to see what happens when it's ready to eat.

Archived