#16 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:48 AM

Any hair growth improvements???

Yes, it's much better than it was, but still not a "thick" as I would like it. No bald patches anymore though (yaay!) . I remain hopeful. :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Smylinacha

Smylinacha

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

Hi, I had hair loss too...clogging the shower and back then I was dx'd hypothyroid.....that was 2 years ago. Also it grew slowly, along with my nails that became dry, ridgey and brittle and hardly grew. I have been gluten free almost 5 weeks now, hair isn't falling out as much, skin and nails are much better.....now if I can gain some weight!

#18 GwenO

GwenO

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

My daughter lost a huge amount of hair - very upsetting for her, as she was only eleven at the time.  Good news is that after several months the hair loss stopped and her hair is not as thick as it ever was.

#19 Npealer

Npealer

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

I had a problem as well, my Dr tested me for a bunch of things and for me I had a Folic Acid Defiency.  Since I started taking Folic acid daily it has improved and the excessive hair loss has stopped. 

Nicole

#20 Ashy555

Ashy555

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

Yep. I lost a lot of my hair. It had been thinning for about 18 months and it wasnt until i realised i hadnt had it cut in a year (trying to 'grow it' ) and it was half the length and thickness. I have been gluten free since october last year when i was diagnosed and its starting to get its thickness back but very slowly :( My brand new hairdresser before she even knew about my coeliac told me she could see fresh hair growing. I was so relieved. Dont worry once everything is under control it should grow back :)

#21 Finally@45

Finally@45

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

I know of someone with the hair loss due to thyroid disease also, common with Celiac.  

Celiac & Mastocytosis

Follows a diet similar to the Paleo diet, minus high-histamine items such as

avocadoes, mangoes, papaya, berries, pork, farm-raised fish, spinach, and seeds.

No eggs or red meat either.

#22 namurray

namurray

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:31 PM

I just wanted to post that I have been gluten free for 3 years... prior to this i had major hair loss starting in 8th grade.  I went to see a dr in 8th grade, highschool and again in college... the only thing I was tested for was having too much testosterone? of course i didnt (im a girl!), and was told it was just how i was and would have to deal with it and thats why stars like bruce willis are bald.  :(  lol.... anyway... i have been gluten free for 3 years and not until this year have i seen a huge noticeable difference because i have so many new hairs that are about 3 inches long...  and I am sooo freaking happy about it.  before, it was bad to the point i was embarrassed to wear my hair down and go in the sun, because you could see through my hair :(  super sad and depressing... i also had major ear problems my entire life... tubes in my hear, ear drum  burst, vertigo... eczema... shy, introverted, depressed.... dude my body wasnt getting any vitamins... anyway... i wanted to post this so that if anyone happens on this site and they have these symptoms... they might get tested or go on the diet....  i am a whole different person now.  YEOW!

#23 GwenO

GwenO

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

Right before diagnosis, when she was really showing the signs or malnutrition, my daughter's hair (she was only 11 then) fell out in handfuls.  It was really awful for her.  Got very thin.  After a few months it stopped falling out, and started to grown in.  Then it happened again!  She's now been gluten-free for just about two years, her hair is nice and thick like it used to be, and we've had no problems.  She does take iron and Vitamin D.  I just noticed I answered this before :(  But it really is very upsetting, particularly for a female.

#24 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:07 PM

My hair was super duper thick, but I had hair loss this past year from thyroid problems and that included my eyebrows which thinned out at the outer edges. All back to normal since my thyroid has stabilized and I must be absorbing all those vitamins I am taking' not to mention the good gluten-free food I have been eating!
Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#25 ezgoindude

ezgoindude

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:47 PM

Good evening yall!

my question kinda goes out to IrishHeart, I'm a guy but it sounds like my hair loss conundrum is very similar to yours. 

I've always had fine hair, but as a hairstylist said I have alot of tiny hairs so it compensates?

anyways I'm losing a fair amount of hair just in the front, which hasn't done much but give me a bigger forehead.

B vitamin tests and folic acid came back normal, what has helped the most for you?  certain shampoo?

should I no longer use hair gel?

when you hair came back, did it grow thicker in the middle or did it also normalize the outerlining hairline?

Summer 2010 - Loose stools, insomnia, doc blames IBS, continues for years

Sept 2013 - extremely ill like flu, inflamed eyes, loosing weight

Feb 2014 - fecal calprotectin 151, colonoscopy/endoscopy clear, duodenum looked flat,

complete celiac blood panel negative

July 2014 - CT scan with barium normal,  new GI currently pushing eosinophilic disorder with possible NCGI, hasen't concluded to anything.

May 2014 - HLA DQ2A1*05:01/05:05 POSITIVE, one copy

HLA DQ2B1*02:01/02:02 POSITIVE, two copies

June 2014 - undiagnosed, much improvement on paleo diet, gluten/dairy/soy intolerant.

Aug 2014 - eating primarily low histamine foods with paleo diet, symptoms have reduced more, possible connection?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: