Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Scalloped Sides Of Tongue. Trying To Figure Out Why

13 posts in this topic

Ads by Google:

oh my. these laundry lists of symptoms are always so frustrating, aren't they? you feel like you need to be a detective to sort out what's wrong!

ok, the obvious, any chance you are ingesting gluten by accident? supplements? something with undisclosed ingridients that may be processed?

i know there ar antibody tests for Sjogrens and they can run ANA's that give you an idea if you have some other autoimmune condition but like the celiac antibodies, I think it may be imperfect. Maybe a rheumotologist can give you some direction.

sorry you are not well. We all are so happy when gluten is the problem and other "stuff" seems to creep in.

I would also see your dentist. The scalloped tongue with teeth marks and the jaw issue could mean you are grinding your teeth at night. A night guard should help. I no longer grind my teeth in my sleep but have taught myself over the years to keep my tongue between my teeth because of bad teeth and grinding. I also have ridges in my cheeks for the same reason.

I have had a scalloped tongue frOm pressing against my teeth for as long as I can remember. I too have been extremely thirsty for the last couple of years. I have been gluten free for 8 weeks and I just checked my tongue and it is still scalloped. Who knows?

Ditto on the dentist. I'm a teeth grinder and that's a symptom. Also, jaw popping is a precursor to TMJ.

You may be showing signs if peri/Pre menopause. Get a Dr. John Lee book. Progesterone cream is miraculous stuff.

You may also gave other issues - autoimmune, etc.

It's never one thing, I've found.

Good luck, and find a way to de-stress and relax. Facial massage is a gift from heaven for TMJ/grinding.

Facial massage is a gift from heaven for TMJ/grinding.

Do you know of any good books or links to how to do this yourself? I know I keep the muscles in my face tense because sometimes on it's own I can feel all the muscles in my forehead relax. Real weird feeling and can't figure out how to do it when I want to as it seems involuntary.

Do you know of any good books or links to how to do this yourself? I know I keep the muscles in my face tense because sometimes on it's own I can feel all the muscles in my forehead relax. Real weird feeling and can't figure out how to do it when I want to as it seems involuntary.

Unfortunately, no. If you find one let me know!

most definitely see your dentist.

I ended up with a scalloped tongue after having thrush.From which I found out that also have an yeast allergy.

I had this plus angio lympathic edema of the tongue, lips & soft tissue on mouth after I was given levothyroxine... it started out with scalloped tongue then went from bad to much worse...it took 8 months to get better , my taste buds are still not correct yet...

I have many of the same symptoms as you in your laundry list.....

I get the tongue thing when I have had gluten, a sore or blister and a swollen tongue. its even hard to talk! then the soreness travels down my throat and into my ear canal. It feels like an infection but the doc says theres nothing there.

Thanks everyone! I've had a migraine all weekend off and on, or I would have replied sooner. I just made an appointment with my dentist for next week. I discovered that I do clench my teeth, so tmj is a possibility. I discovered I have lines inside my cheeks and on my bottom inner lip that line up with where my teeth go together.