This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Your Favorite Blueberry Muffin Recipe?

researchmomma

researchmomma Contributor

Hi All, I have been searching for a good blueberry muffin recipe. I can't believe I didn't think to post here and ask all you fabulous bakers.

I want to be able to freeze them after they are cooked for quick breakfast in the morning.

Thank you in advance!

Kristi

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I use The Gluten Free Pantry Scone Mix. I generally add cranberries or dried cherries and chopped pecans. It would work well with blueberries.

Open Original Shared Link

Diane-in-FL Explorer

I like the recipe in Gluten Free Baking Classics by Annalise Roberts.

I use The Gluten Free Pantry Scone Mix. I generally add cranberries or dried cherries and chopped pecans. It would work well with blueberries.

so you make them in a muffin tin?

I like the recipe in Gluten Free Baking Classics by Annalise Roberts.

Is it from a book? Can you post the recipe?

Thanks!

Diane-in-FL Explorer

Is it from a book? Can you post the recipe?

Thanks!

Yes, my favorite book! I will be happy to post the recipe. :)

missy'smom Collaborator

I haven't tried many recipes but I tried this today and it was very good.

I made some modifications because of allergies:

rice milk

1 Tb less sugar because I like not overly sweet and the rice milk already has some sugar in it-so 7 Tb. of sugar.

I didn't have a blend on hand so made up just enough for the recipe based on a link the recipe poster provided. I modified the blend because I have both tapioca and potato allergies.

Blend:

2/3 c. white rice flour

1/4 c. plus 2 Tb. cornstarch

2 Tb. mochiko-sweet rice flour-glutinous rice flour

And I added blueberries.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Diane-in-FL Explorer

Blueberry Muffin Recipe from Gluten Free Baking Classics by Annalise Roberts (hope it is OK to do this)

First you have to mix up her flour blend: 2 cups brown rice flour (very fine...or white rice flour works too), 2/3 cup Potato Starch, and 1/3 cup Tapioca Flour

2 cups of the flour mix

2/3 cups sugar

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

3/4 tsp Xanthan Gum

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp nutmeg

1 cup blueberries

1/2 cup milk

1/2 canola oil

2 large eggs

1/2 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 375*. Grease muffin pan with cooking spray.

Mix dry ingredients together in large bowl. Add blueberries, stir to coat evenly.

Combine milk & oil in a small bowl, remove 1 tablespoon of the combined liquid and discard. Beat in eggs & vanilla. Stir until just blended.

Spoon into muffin pans. The recipe says to bake 18-25 minutes, but mine were done at 16. My oven is spot on, too.

I like to experiment and the last time I made them I used 1 1/2 cups of the flour blend and 1/2 of almond flour. Almond flour is expensive, but I think the texture was much better. And a bag of almond flour will last quite a while if you only use 1/2 cup in a recipe. :)

Darn210 Enthusiast

Blueberry Muffins

1 1/2 cups gluten free flour blend (I actually use 1 cup plus 1/2 cup Pamela's baking mix)

3/4 cup white sugar

1/2 teas salt

1 teas baking powder

1 teas baking soda

1/2 teas xanthan gum (If not using Pamela's above then up quantity to 3/4 teas)

1/3 cup vegetable oil

1 egg (lightly beaten)

1/2 cup milk

1 cup blueberries (I use the frozen wild blue berries - their small)

Crumb topping

1/2 cup white sugar

1/3 cup gluten free flour blend

1/4 cup butter (softened but not melted)

Preheat oven to 400 deg F. Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.

Combine all dry ingredients. Mix in all wet ingredients. This was an adaptation of a former gluten recipe. If the batter is too thick, add more milk (It should be batter, not dough - about the consistency of what you would think gluten muffin batter should be). Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full and sprinkle with crumb mixture.

Crumb mixture: Mix together sugar, flour, and butter until crumbly. (You don't need this much topping. I make less but keep about those proportions . . . it's forgiving, no need for exact measurements here)

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in oven or until done. (I use the toothpick method to check.)

Darn210 Enthusiast

Also, this is my baseline muffin recipe. If I make banana, I take out the blueberries and use 1 to 2 mashed ripe bananas (no crumb topping but sometimes some chopped pecans or walnuts mixed in or on top). Will also mix in chocolate chips with these.

I will take some cinnamon and sugar and fold that into the batter so that it's kinda swirly for Cinnamon muffins. I do use the crumb topping for those.

lpellegr Collaborator

This is adapted from my grandmother's recipe.

Sour Cream Blueberry Cake

Cream together 1/2 c butter and 1 c sugar. Add 3 eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Sift together:

2 c sifted flour (I use Bette Hagman's original blend, but any white rice/tapioca/cornstarch or similar flour should work)

1 t baking powder

1 t baking soda

1/2 t salt

1 t xanthan gum

Add the dry ingredients to the egg-sugar-butter in several batches, alternating with 1 c of sour cream, ending with flour.

Stir in 1 t vanilla extract. Fold in blueberries, about 1-1/2 cups fresh or canned. If fresh, toss them with a little flour first, to prevent them sinking to the bottom.

Spoon into cupcake papers. Bake at 400 for 15 - 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. You could also put this in a 9 x 9 pan and bake for about 55 min. Either way, cool it and freeze cupcakes or pieces of cake.

These are all great thanks!

sa1937 Community Regular

I also like Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix for muffins. They do contain dairy though so don't know if you can tolerate it or not.

This is adapted from my grandmother's recipe.

Sour Cream Blueberry Cake

Cream together 1/2 c butter and 1 c sugar. Add 3 eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Sift together:

2 c sifted flour (I use Bette Hagman's original blend, but any white rice/tapioca/cornstarch or similar flour should work)

1 t baking powder

1 t baking soda

1/2 t salt

1 t xanthan gum

Add the dry ingredients to the egg-sugar-butter in several batches, alternating with 1 c of sour cream, ending with flour.

Stir in 1 t vanilla extract. Fold in blueberries, about 1-1/2 cups fresh or canned. If fresh, toss them with a little flour first, to prevent them sinking to the bottom.

Spoon into cupcake papers. Bake at 400 for 15 - 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. You could also put this in a 9 x 9 pan and bake for about 55 min. Either way, cool it and freeze cupcakes or pieces of cake.

There isn't sour cream in it?

There isn't sour cream in it?

lol, now I see it. I am getting OLD!

I also like Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix for muffins. They do contain dairy though so don't know if you can tolerate it or not.

Ah,didn't think of that. We can do dairy. Thanks

sa1937 Community Regular

Ah,didn't think of that. We can do dairy. Thanks

I also make her yummy banana bread recipe and have baked that as muffins, too. Have you looked on her website for other recipes?

I also make her yummy banana bread recipe and have baked that as muffins, too. Have you looked on her website for other recipes?

Ok, no, and now I am old AND stupid. :P

Thanks!

sa1937 Community Regular

Ok, no, and now I am old AND stupid. :P

Thanks!

No you are NOT stupid...and age-wise, I have you beat by a long shot!!! laugh.gif

BTW, I've also made her pumpkin bread recipe but skip the crumble-nut topping as it's impossible to cut the bread. But it might be good on muffin-top muffins. smile.gif

No you are NOT stupid...and age-wise, I have you beat by a long shot!!! laugh.gif

BTW, I've also made her pumpkin bread recipe but skip the crumble-nut topping as it's impossible to cut the bread. But it might be good on muffin-top muffins. smile.gif

lol

I love pumpkin bread!

purple Community Regular

This one is great:

Mizzo Enthusiast

I have NEVER had a bad result using and following King Arthurs gluten-free flours and recipes. If it's available to you try it.

Archived