33 replies to this topic

#16 MindytheOrganist

MindytheOrganist

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:37 AM

I think you need to slap them with the Americans With Disabilities Act! If people have special needs, including diets, restaurants have to accommodate them.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:30 AM

I think you need to slap them with the Americans With Disabilities Act! If people have special needs, including diets, restaurants have to accommodate them.

Actually, many states have laws against bringing outside food into a restaurant in order to protect patrons. In this case, a restaurant being cautious isn't something I would get mad about. It's the law. It's frustrating, but it is a legal issue in many places. It says right on the gluten-free menu at Outback that "In states where it is permitted by law, if you bring your own bread, do not send it back to the kitchen, keep it with you at your table and build your sandwich there".

As suggested above, the best way is usually just to say nothing to the restaurant, order a drink, and eat what you brought quietly, so the waitstaff can pretend they have no idea what you're doing.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#18 Mamacita Sasso

Mamacita Sasso

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:25 AM

I called the restaurant back and asked to speak to a manager. I again explained my situation and inquired if they could make any dishes that were gluten free. They did not understand what gluten is. For me that is a red flag to not eat there. I'm having too many healing issues as is, I can't risk being contaminated. I asked as they could not meet my dietary needs if I could at least bring my own food in so that I could eat with the group. They said no again. I have told people at work of my problem and 2 of my 3 bosses knows about it but of course it was the 3rd boss that scheduled the lunch. I'm trying to not let celiac disease be what I focus talking about at work. I'm frustrated with this situation. I appreciate people's comments and feedback. I'm not liking my options as I see them. :(

At times like this, it's best to just do what you need to do to be safe and apologize later. The important thing is to be part of "the team" not who is eating what. Be present in the moment. You'll be okay.

#19 Victoria6102

Victoria6102

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:18 AM

Of course it is best just to sneak in your food and hope no one notices. That's what I do. But in certain cases like if you're going to be thrown out of a restaurant, you can tell them about the Americans with Disabilities Act. I almost got thrown out of a restaurant the other day. So if the manager actually did come out and tell me to leave, I legally can stay. . I just called the ADA and this is what they told me- since people with Celiac disease don't have the ability to process gluten, we are technically considered to have a disability. In the act it states that if a service that a place provides cannot be used by a customer due to their disability, the business must modify their regulations for us. So if a restaurant can't provide food for a celiac, they must allow us to bring our own food in. So in a worst case scenario, we have a legal right to have our own food. But normally, restaurants will let you bring your own food in :)

#20 Ginsou

Ginsou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:27 PM

Of course it is best just to sneak in your food and hope no one notices. That's what I do. But in certain cases like if you're going to be thrown out of a restaurant, you can tell them about the Americans with Disabilities Act. I almost got thrown out of a restaurant the other day. So if the manager actually did come out and tell me to leave, I legally can stay. . I just called the ADA and this is what they told me- since people with Celiac disease don't have the ability to process gluten, we are technically considered to have a disability. In the act it states that if a service that a place provides cannot be used by a customer due to their disability, the business must modify their regulations for us. So if a restaurant can't provide food for a celiac, they must allow us to bring our own food in. So in a worst case scenario, we have a legal right to have our own food. But normally, restaurants will let you bring your own food in :)

Victoria and Mindy are 100% correct ....as of 2008 Celiac is considered a disability. There was an article fairly recent on this forum about Pizza Hut having charges brought against them by a mother who brought a school group to the restaurant and a child brought in ....I think...MacDonald's fries. They were asked to leave.

I seldom eat out because of my many food issues...there are 2 restaurants where I go and order a salad with safe ingredients, and I bring my own salad dressing. I can also order spring rolls at another restaurant and bring my own soyless soy sauce. No one has ever objected, and I've never been asked to leave.I would never create a scene, I would simply state the facts if I had to, and continue to eat.

The article appeared Jan. 20,2012...google Pizza Hut Gluten Free child asked to leave....sorry, I'm not sure how to insert the link.

#21 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

Victoria and Mindy are 100% correct ....as of 2008 Celiac is considered a disability. There was an article fairly recent on this forum about Pizza Hut having charges brought against them by a mother who brought a school group to the restaurant and a child brought in ....I think...MacDonald's fries. They were asked to leave.

I seldom eat out because of my many food issues...there are 2 restaurants where I go and order a salad with safe ingredients, and I bring my own salad dressing. I can also order spring rolls at another restaurant and bring my own soyless soy sauce. No one has ever objected, and I've never been asked to leave.I would never create a scene, I would simply state the facts if I had to, and continue to eat.

The article appeared Jan. 20,2012...google Pizza Hut Gluten Free child asked to leave....sorry, I'm not sure how to insert the link.

http://www.celiaccen...61/vobid--6945/
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#22 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:45 PM

In this state it is against health code regulations to allow outside food. That being said, we have been allowed to bring things in on occasion. But not recently. We actually haven't asked recently.

#23 Victoria6102

Victoria6102

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:13 AM

But the law says that restaurants must change their regulations to meet the needs of those with disabilities!

#24 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,237 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:43 AM

But the law says that restaurants must change their regulations to meet the needs of those with disabilities!

They can change thier company regulations but can't change laws.

Through out the ADA is the doctrine of "reasonable accomadation". It spells out in some areas what that specifically should be. For example, when re-modelling or constructing a hotel, it specifies the width of doors, need for ramps, braille on certain signs, flashing lights as well as sirens for smoke detectors, etc. It does not say that a hotel must go to extremes to accomadate a disability. The hotel does not have to supply a personal attendant for a quadraplegic, for instance. That would not be "reasonable".

As far as I have been able to see, the digestive category doesn't seem to specify any particular universal accomadations. Maybe someone else has seen? Have there been any court rulings? I haven't followed it.

If you take your food into a restaurant, you can certainly bring up the ADA. If you are still asked to leave or throw out your food, you will need to comply. They can call the police and have you taken out. The only way to enforce your definition of a "reasonable accomadation" is through a law suit (probably in federal court). IF that goes your way or not, it could, in effect, be an ammendment to the ADA.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#25 Victoria6102

Victoria6102

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:11 AM

Hmmm....that's interesting. :) I am not sure what to think now because I called the ADA and they said that a celiac has the legal right to bring in their own food. Let me call backand try to be more specific!

#26 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,237 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:39 AM

Hmmm....that's interesting. :) I am not sure what to think now because I called the ADA and they said that a celiac has the legal right to bring in their own food. Let me call backand try to be more specific!

That would be great! See if she can email you the exact part of the ADA pertaining to Celiac/digestive disorders. Get her to email any court rulings about how restauraunts must ignore the State or county Health regulations to accomadate us. Then copy them here. It would be very helpful.

If you don't feel comfortable giving her your email, just make a new one on gmail or yahoo. I keep one jsut for inquiries like this.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#27 maximoo

maximoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

OP, you 've had your business lunch by now. What happened? How did you finally decide to handle it?

#28 katerzz

katerzz

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:40 AM

It's against the health code in many states to allow any outside food to be brought into a restaurant. They aren't being unreasonable, they are covering their own butt.

My husband has several "work lunches" he has to deal with. He always find something to eat.. or he eats before hand. Fruit, Veggies, Baked Potatoes.. typically safe. Therefore you cannot use "ADA" claim. There is always something at a restaurant you can eat... even if its something as simple as orange. They don't have to provide you something you LIKE or WANT.

I am actually kind of put off that people would use the disability claim in this situation.

--->And also, really... a mom brought in mcdonalds french fries to a pizza palor and used the excuse their child was celiac?? Total bs. (I didnt read the article, just going from what people have posted)

#29 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,237 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:52 AM

It's against the health code in many states to allow any outside food to be brought into a restaurant. They aren't being unreasonable, they are covering their own butt.

My husband has several "work lunches" he has to deal with. He always find something to eat.. or he eats before hand. Fruit, Veggies, Baked Potatoes.. typically safe. Therefore you cannot use "ADA" claim. There is always something at a restaurant you can eat... even if its something as simple as orange. They don't have to provide you something you LIKE or WANT.

I am actually kind of put off that people would use the disability claim in this situation.

--->And also, really... a mom brought in mcdonalds french fries to a pizza palor and used the excuse their child was celiac?? Total bs. (I didnt read the article, just going from what people have posted)

I thought that about the pizza parlor one, too. If she had brought a discreet lunch from home, they probably wouldn't have said anything. Instead, she brings in the McDonalds bag, advertising another restauraunt. Plus, I don't know how they could argue that the kid "needed" fries for his health.

dancing-turkey.gif

#30 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

I thought that about the pizza parlor one, too. If she had brought a discreet lunch from home, they probably wouldn't have said anything. Instead, she brings in the McDonalds bag, advertising another restauraunt. Plus, I don't know how they could argue that the kid "needed" fries for his health.

Not that I disagree with either of you...I toatally agree...especially about "for his health"...but....
Coming from the mom side of trying to keep things EQUAL...she was probably trying to do something...special...so the ONE kid didn't feel left out while everyone else got pizza! also Ibelieved that they were OUT...and it was desided on pizza for THE GROUP..so she was probably compensating...alla "spur of the moment and what was convenient!
We've done that with my shellfish allergy son when everyone else is having shrimp...he gets asuper gormet burger of his choice...especially if we're having crab!LOL!
But usreally...there is something on the menu for ALL of our dietary needs...(all 4 of us have special diet needs)...or we just won't go!we'll find a place that suits ALL of us!of course when out with a group...like little leauge or a school event...you can't do that and sometimes(if you don't have time to plan a head)...have to compensate!
But she should have been more descreet...no mcdonalds bag...dump it in a plate..(or napkin) ditch the bag!LOL!!! :P
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11
Celiacs/casein sensitive/lactose intolerent

Favorite quotes-
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!!!"-anonyamous

"you can lead a donkey to the river...but if you want him to drink...
you have to throw him in" -(21 yr.old son)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: