34 replies to this topic

#31 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:05 AM

Bartful & IH, I'm sure you're both pretty beautiful as well :-) Thanks *red face*

I dunno...hold on, I'll ask hubs...."babes, am I beautiful?"

...wait for it.

He says "Yes, dear".

:lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 lucky97

lucky97

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:24 AM

So from what I see here, oats might give a digestive issue, but no damage? So maybe, seeing I don't get much by way of digestive issues, I might be able to eat them? It's been almost a year gluten-free now. I think I may just try oats, and if they work, I can get oat flour?

Now, something a bit off topic:

Dani, every time I scroll down and see your picture I think, "What a very pretty woman!" I'm sure everyone here will agree with me. Your old picture was nice, but this new one is even better. I just wanted to let you know. We all need a lift from time to time, and I hope this puts a smile on your face. You may not FEEL good, but you LOOK good. I'm just the opposite today. Feeling pretty good, but my thinning hair is making it harder and harder to look good every day. (Time to start looking at wigs I guess. :huh: )

That's a new one to me...gluten free oats (like Bob's Red Mill) can give some Celiacs "digestive issues," but that is not to be confused with being "glutened" and introducing something damaging to your intestinal tract? How in the world do you tell the difference? Unless you can look inside your intestines, I don't think you can.

I have had Bob's Red Mill oats and have felt fine, even within 6 months of going gluten free. How do I know I'm not causing damage down there with this food (but to be honest I don't eat it a lot)?

#33 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:41 AM

I don't love oats - but to be honest, I despise rice porridge and most bread and all that stuff= so I am finding breakfast really hard - especially to find something filling. Arrghh.

Try teff porridge- I adore it. I get the whole grain teff from BRM, I only loosely follow the directions though. It's filling, more nutritious than oatmeal, and tasty!
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#34 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:14 AM

Beebs, here is some interesting research on oats.

Some people react to Avenin in oats.

"There may exist a sub-set of celiacs who also have avenin-reactive mucosal T-cells, avenin being the oat counterpart to wheat's gliadin". You can read more here:

http://www.celiac.co...ease/Page1.html

Also:

http://www.hc-sc.gc....-avoine-eng.php

http://wheat.pw.usda....vs.grains.html

I've only read the first article so far, but this is enough for me to stay away from oats. I've always been a subscriber to the 'better safe than sorry' school of thought. I also have never tried oats, they were not considered safe when I started the gluten free diet, and I never bought the whole 'we think it's safe now' thing. I need to have it proven to me, I'm so demanding! :P
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#35 Victoria6102

Victoria6102

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:53 AM

When I posted a topic awhile ago saying that I accidentally ate oats and it gave me GI symptoms, people replied and said that if oats do bother me, they will damage md like gluten. Now I'm confused? Can anyone clarify?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: