This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I'm An Idiot - Feel Free To Tell Me Off.

nadinec

nadinec Newbie

Hi Guys

Well, last night I rebelled and I feel so guilty about it. I ate some potato chips that I knew had Wheat Starch and Wheat Flour in them. I knew that I shouldn't but I did anyway - why, I don't really know - just to test myself maybe?

I guess what is even worse than eating them was my response to it - nothing...So now I figure that I don't get a reaction phsycally when I eat Gluten which is really bad beucase how do I ever know if I had some by mistake???

I am just really sick of it, I have blotaing and constant really bad gas (can clear a room) just thorugh normal gluten free eating, and then when I have something that I know has gluten in it - nothing. I wish I did get D just so my body could tell me off for what I did.

I won't do it again, but does any of you out there have no glutening symptoms like me?

Thanks

Nadine

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Bonnie Explorer

Hi Nadine,

Sometimes this disease really sucks I know.

I can't really comment on you not having a reaction because I get really bad ones after ingesting gluten.

Your bloating and gas - how long have you been gluten-free? I too had these two problems - the bloating all my life but the gas seemed to be worse after going gluten-free.

Now after 5 months gluten-free these symptoms have improved drastically but it took about 3 months to see a slight improvement. Then I recently found out I am intolerant to rice, seeds, nuts, chocolate and alcohol. Since cutting out these the gas has almost gone completely and the bloating is even better. The rice was the main culprit!

Have you looked into any other food allergies or intolerances?

Yvonne

mytummyhurts Contributor

I don't have much of a reaction when I eat gluten. One time I knew for sure I'd made a mistake and nothing happened. I'm also worried that then I won't know when I accidentally eat something bad.

How long were you gluten-free? Maybe your bloating and gas are caused by lactose intolerance? Have you cut dairy out? A lot of celiacs have problems with lactose intolerance until the intestines heal. That's the other thing, maybe your intestines have not healed all the way yet. Are you absolutely positive that you were gluten-free before? Make-up, lotion, etc needs to be gluten-free too just because you may ingest small amounts of it.

tarnalberry Community Regular
I am just really sick of it, I have blotaing and constant really bad gas (can clear a room) just thorugh normal gluten free eating, and then when I have something that I know has gluten in it - nothing.  I wish I did get D just so my body could tell me off for what I did.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you still consuming dairy? Bloating and gas are also classic symptoms for lactose intolerance.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

If you have only been gluten free for a short time, then you may not get a violent or any reaction from eating gluten right away. When I first started the diet (first 10 months or so) I was sick most of the time and couldn't really tell when I had gluten. But now I can definitely tell and get bad reactions when I eat gluten (which is always accidental or by contamination).

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

How long have you been attempting to be gluten free? The reason why you still may be having symptoms with anything you eat is because you are having these kinds of accidents. The first few months gluten free for me I felt like crap no matter what I ate and I wasn't really sensitive to gluten either...now that is completely different and I am very sensitive. Some people get more sensitive to it with time and others just don't get symptoms.

What kept me from cheating was the effects it will have on me long term and the seriousness of that. Now I don't even want the gluten.

They say even accidents once a month is like not following the diet at all because of the damage being done.

Make sure you keep gluten free with not only foods but makeups, lotions, shampoos, soaps, and all that stuff as well.

By the way, there are alot of gluten free potato chips that are mainstream(some of Utz, Frito Lay, Lays, etc.) so why not have something you can have.

luvs2eat Collaborator

The same thing happened to me after I'd been gluten-free for less than a year. I was so excited... and thought maybe I could "plan" a wicked good cheat maybe once a month.

Didn't even get to try it out though... cause the longer I was gluten-free, the more sensitive I became. Now I don't even dare try it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bluelotus Contributor
The same thing happened to me after I'd been gluten-free for less than a year. I was so excited... and thought maybe I could "plan" a wicked good cheat maybe once a month.

Didn't even get to try it out though... cause the longer I was gluten-free, the more sensitive I became. Now I don't even dare try it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, seems I have gotten more sensitive over time as well. Also, as others have mentioned, I would consider other allergens or intolerances - for me it seems to be dairy, eggs, and corn.....and it seems that I add another food group to this list every few months.

nettiebeads Apprentice

After 9 years of gluten-free, I found out my reactions differ - sometimes a really good bout of D, sometimes not, sometimes brain fog w/o the D,but that would be in varying degrees so I didn't pin it to my food intake, sometimes fatigue with or without the D. It varies still so much for me. I am trying to be even more careful than I have in the past and am feeling better than I have in a long time. And no, I'm not going to chew you out or anything - I understand completely being tired of the constant monitoring and denial of just plain ordinary food that every one else gets to eat. It does get easier and will become such a part of your life that you won't even have to really think about it anymore. But it's still not much fun.

skoki-mom Explorer

I don't have any reactions either, so like you, not a clue if I've eaten the stuff or not, though I am earnestly trying to live gluten-free. I'd be the last person here to tell you off for "cheating", I fight with myself every day to stay away from the stuff! ((hugs))

My GI told me I could have another scope in about 2 years if I wanted, to just to see what's going on in there, since my body doesn't give me any outward signs. It's hard sometimes to feel like this hassle is making any difference. However, it's made easier by my discovery today of Kinnickkinnick double chocolate almond cookies, of which I ate half the bag on my way home from the store!

What kind of chips did you have??? Were they Pringles?? Please tell me so I can live vicariously through you!!

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Hi Guys

I guess what is even worse than eating them was my response to it - nothing...So now I figure that I don't get a reaction phsycally when I eat Gluten which is really bad beucase how do I ever know if I had some by mistake???

Nadine

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't forget that gluten causes a delayed reaction, thats why it is an intolerance not an allergy and why it is so hard to pinpont on a food diary. . It can take up to 3 days for the gut to react. Your not out of the woods yet.

nadinec Newbie

Thanks guys for all your reponses.

I have stopped beating myself up (and yes they were pringles) and am now moving now. No point dwelling about it and I WON'T do it again.

Thanks for your response on the dealyed reaction as I think that I did have a Gluten reaction. It has been really hard being at this conference all week because it was all buffet and nothing for me to eat. Not to mention the response to why I was only eating 'rabbit food' - lots of Business men who jsut thought that I was dieting...

I fianlly managed to eat something off the buffet on Wednesday which I thought was fine - only to have a brain fog and dizzy spells about 20 mins later. I didn't get D, but had small pains in my gut which I am still having now.

I guess that is my reaciton, and you are all right, it has only been 2 months, I am bound to get more sensitve.

This whole disease gets so frustrating and sometimes I just feel sorry for myself (like I am sure that you all do) - But No more, I will now stay positive - and no more cheating.

Thanks heaps

Nadine

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Nadine-

Why not have the Lays STAXX chips....they are just like pringles and they are gluten free :D

skoki-mom Explorer

Ahh, I knew they were Pringles, I was so sad to read wheat flour on the label and I totally pigged out on them while I was eating normally and waiting for my scope. I want to try Lays Stax but the plain kind always seem to be sold out around here.

I know how hard it is at work. I work 12 hour shifts, I don't normally eat on nights, but on days, I have to pack 3 meals with me. No room for me to be lazy anymore because there is nothing I can buy there I'd trust except a banana or something!

Sounds like you are starting to adjust, hang in there! ((hugs))

Claire Collaborator
What kept me from cheating was the effects it will have on me long term and the seriousness of that. Now I don't even want the gluten.

They say even accidents once a month is like not following the diet at all because of the damage being done.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Smart girl! I can tell you that it doesn't take much to do damage to body cells that you cannot see and maybe not even feel the consequences for months - even many years. I know whereof I speak! I am living with the consequences. I was not deliberately careless. I didn't know that gluten was the problem. Thought for years that it was yeast. I gave up all products that contained yeast but that didn't eliminate gluten. It took away a lot of it but not enough.

A neurologist recently told me that if you put a grain of gluten in a petri dish with a drop of blood from a celiac the reaction will begin immediately and will sustain for weeks. That tells you how subtle but deadly the stuff is. :rolleyes:

gfincolorado Newbie
How long have you been attempting to be gluten free? The reason why you still may be having symptoms with anything you eat is because you are having these kinds of accidents. The first few months gluten free for me I felt like crap no matter what I ate and I wasn't really sensitive to gluten either...now that is completely different and I am very sensitive. Some people get more sensitive to it with time and others just don't get symptoms.

Make sure you keep gluten free with not only foods but makeups, lotions, shampoos, soaps, and all that stuff as well.

By the way, there are alot of gluten free potato chips that are mainstream(some of Utz, Frito Lay, Lays, etc.) so why not have something you can have.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We have been attempting to go gluten-free for the past 2 weeks. Where do I start in making sure what I'm using is gluten-free? Not only with foods, but also with makeup, lotion, shampoos, soaps, etc. And what about cross contamination in my own kitchen? My husband still eats gluten and even tonight I made gluten-free for my kids and I, yet when my husband put my food on the pan it touched his which had gluten in it. How careful do I need to be? We have not been diagnosed as celiac. I diagnosed myself by eliminating it the best I could. My kids and I also have trouble with dairy, nuts, corn and who knows what else!!! My symptoms are irritability, bloating and gas, constipation, weight gain (or water retention), numbness at night in my extremities, sugar and major food cravings, etc. Help! I want to get organized as soon as possible!!!

Archived