8 replies to this topic

#1 buckwheat

buckwheat

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:35 PM

How much gluten would get on a burger just from touching it a few minutes, if not soaked and not decomposed? I think honestly not much if its a solid mcdonalds bun and not any flour powder on it.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,238 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:55 PM

If you have Celiac disease, those crumbs that soak into the burger, are too much gluten.

Google the other Celiac medical centers and they will say the same thing:

"The gluten-free diet is a lifetime requirement. Eating any gluten, no matter how small an amount, can damage your intestine. This is true for anyone with the disease, including people who do not have noticeable symptoms."

http://www.curecelia...guide/treatment

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

And read this: http://www.celiac.co...ewbie-info-101/

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#4 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:52 PM

IMHO. Do not eat the burger, get one on lettuce.

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

turkey-hiding.gif

#5 Mateto

Mateto

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:22 PM

It'd still be cross-contaminated, and not suitable for our eating.

Just give specific instructions, because I know they wear gloves and will touch a bun first, then the burger....still dangerous.
Gluten-free since St George's Day this year :)

#6 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:54 PM

Best of all, easy to make your own burgers. Safe and about a million times better for you as well as tastier. If you do not make buns, just throw it onto an Udi's or Kinnickinnik (or other) bun. You can make your own fabulous toppings, too. You'll never go back to a fast food burger. And no worries about CC!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#7 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:03 PM

Yeah I wouldn't risk it for my daughter, I'm very particular about this type of thing.
Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#8 Raining Skittles

Raining Skittles

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:21 PM

I was actually glutened just by having a burger at a friends house where she heated buns on the grill while cooking burgers. They didn't touch each other, but she had used that grill to heat buns in the past and that tiny amount made me ill for 3 days.
Two abdominal surgeries in '74 removing 2/3 of small intestine.
IBS diagnosis in '93.
RA (mis)diagnosis in '97.
Pescetarian 2000-2009.
Gluten issue suspicion in Sep '11.
Dairy and gluten-free as of Aug '12.
Trying dairy again Nov '12.... we'll see....

#9 MrsVJW

MrsVJW

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:33 AM

Buns grilled on the same grill... it may not have even been a dirty grill, it may have just been breadcrumbs flyin' around. (Grilled and toasted bread usually means it makes even more crumbs)

A couple months back the husband and I were in Vegas and we went to Fatburger - I ordered a bunless burger and it came, of course, on a bun (I have eaten safely at that location in the past). Sent it back, explained I ordered no bun, I have a wheat allergy, and I could not eat that burger, I needed them to cook me a fresh one. It came out again - probably a little too fast (but I was also dealing with a lot of blood sugar crashes at that time, and I NEEDED to eat SOON) and I just ate the burger anyway.

The plane ride home was not fun. That was enough exposure to make me miserable for two days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: