Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

If A Bun Touches A Burger?

9 posts in this topic

How much gluten would get on a burger just from touching it a few minutes, if not soaked and not decomposed? I think honestly not much if its a solid mcdonalds bun and not any flour powder on it.

Ads by Google:

If you have Celiac disease, those crumbs that soak into the burger, are too much gluten.

Google the other Celiac medical centers and they will say the same thing:

"The gluten-free diet is a lifetime requirement. Eating any gluten, no matter how small an amount, can damage your intestine. This is true for anyone with the disease, including people who do not have noticeable symptoms."

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/living-with-celiac/guide/treatment

And read this:

IMHO. Do not eat the burger, get one on lettuce.

It'd still be cross-contaminated, and not suitable for our eating.

Just give specific instructions, because I know they wear gloves and will touch a bun first, then the burger....still dangerous.

Best of all, easy to make your own burgers. Safe and about a million times better for you as well as tastier. If you do not make buns, just throw it onto an Udi's or Kinnickinnik (or other) bun. You can make your own fabulous toppings, too. You'll never go back to a fast food burger. And no worries about CC!

Yeah I wouldn't risk it for my daughter, I'm very particular about this type of thing.

I was actually glutened just by having a burger at a friends house where she heated buns on the grill while cooking burgers. They didn't touch each other, but she had used that grill to heat buns in the past and that tiny amount made me ill for 3 days.

Buns grilled on the same grill... it may not have even been a dirty grill, it may have just been breadcrumbs flyin' around. (Grilled and toasted bread usually means it makes even more crumbs)

A couple months back the husband and I were in Vegas and we went to Fatburger - I ordered a bunless burger and it came, of course, on a bun (I have eaten safely at that location in the past). Sent it back, explained I ordered no bun, I have a wheat allergy, and I could not eat that burger, I needed them to cook me a fresh one. It came out again - probably a little too fast (but I was also dealing with a lot of blood sugar crashes at that time, and I NEEDED to eat SOON) and I just ate the burger anyway.

The plane ride home was not fun. That was enough exposure to make me miserable for two days.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Hi Aly and welcome You may want to repost this in a new thread, that way more people will see it and can advise you.  I think you would be much better off getting the celiac test now, if you stay off gluten you will need to go back on it and that can be much harder. That said, loads of your symptoms look like they could be gluten related.  I had a persistent 'trapped nerve' for instance under my eye which would twitch like crazy. Since I went gluten-free doesn't happen any more.  Best of luck! Matt
    • Your scalp sounds like seborrheic dermatitis. I have that and although its better after going gluten-free its very persistent. The dermatologist recommended Nizoral shampoo for it and it does help. I think dairy has a big part to play with skin problems, for me at least. 
    • I was diagnosed this year and I live on Oahu. I have yet to meet another celiac, so that tells you something about our limitations here. I work in Waikiki and do frequent Rouffage. It is nothing fancy, small place, but keeps me fed when I need something. I also like Greens and Vines. It is a vegan restaurant and worth every penny. Greens and vines sets up at the KCC farmers market on Saturdays too. Places in Waikiki that do offer a gluten-free menu include, PF Changs, Dennys, Big City Diner and California Pizza kitchen. I do not trust those places due to the risk, but they "offer" gluten-free options. I did try and order a beer at Yard House in Waikiki. They label clearly states that it contained wheat, so yeah sent that back with the waiter. I have also tied Doraku in Waikiki. I called ahead and spoke with management. That went well and they offer gluten free soy sauce. There is a deli at Down to Earth Grocery store in Honolulu that has gluten-free options, but the whole foods here do not offer hot food that is gluten free. They do have a hot food bar, but you have to stick to the whole plain salad and veggie options. It's good to hear the hotels here are getting better, beyond Waikiki hotels there is no one really interested in being gluten free.
    • Just found this site today. Did you ever find one? I was diagnosed this year and I live on Oahu.
    • I was diagnosed this year and I live on Oahu. I have yet to meet another celiac, so that tells you something about our limitations here. I work in Waikiki and do frequent Rouffage. It is nothing fancy, small place, but keeps me fed when I need something. I also like Greens and Vines. It is a vegan restaurant and worth every penny. Greens and vines sets up at the KCC farmers market on Saturdays too. Places in Waikiki that do offer a gluten-free menu include, PF Changs, Dennys, Big City Diner and California Pizza kitchen. I do not trust those places due to the risk, but they "offer" gluten-free options. I did try and order a beer at Yard House in Waikiki. They label clearly states that it contained wheat, so yeah sent that back with the waiter. I have also tied Doraku in Waikiki. I called ahead and spoke with management. That went well and they offer gluten free soy sauce. There is a deli at Down to Earth Grocery store in Honolulu that has gluten-free options, but the whole foods here do not offer hot food that is gluten free. They do have a hot food bar, but you have to stick to the whole plain salad and veggie options. It's good to hear the hotels here are getting better, beyond Waikiki hotels there is no one really interested in being gluten free.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    drennanw