17 replies to this topic

#16 MindytheOrganist

MindytheOrganist

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

When I started working over 30 years ago, lunch with co-workers was simple. Just order sandwiches, chips and soft drinks. Today, with more diversity in my company, we have to worry about all sorts of diet restrictions. Vegan, Vegetarian, No Pork, No meat, but tuna is OK, No cheese, No eggs...and so on. Then, add no soy, nuts, gluten, dairy, and its no wonder some people zone out. My Celiac Hubby has had to skip potlucks, special lunches, and assorted "treat days" because of his allergy. We try not to make a big deal out of it, and here lately, his co-workers have started to make an effort to include him by buying pre-packaged gluten free foods and going to restraunts that are gluten-friendly. But it did take a little while for that to happen.

That is still no excuse, especially if the people know about your allergies.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

I always get chocolates that I can't eat but I figure it's the thought that counts and I regift them. I actually really appreciate being saved the trouble of having to do my own shopping for those kinds of little gifts.

I got given shortbread this year - my mother loved it.

I'd much rather be given chocolates I can't eat but that someone else will appreciate than a cheap junky gift that will end up in landfill or that I wouldn't want to pass on for fear people would think it was my taste.

#18 Chaff

Chaff

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

Since we're on the subject...

Does anyone feel like a drama queen whenever food comes up as a topic of conversation in the workplace? I try to keep it light, smile and make a joke about it whenever it comes up (and to make sure it doesn't come up), but it's always somewhat awkward. I already have crazy mood swings from accidentally eating things I shouldn't (every day is a new food intolerance, argh), and I have to cover those up quite a bit. Basically -- the office environment is kind of a minefield when you're deep in brainfog or food-induced depression or talking about taking visiting colleagues out to work lunches. (So...I'm just having plain white rice, then, and not drinking the omnipresent barley tea....can we not talk about why?)

Also,kind of a funny moment this week, when the Peruvian guy at work said I should go try the new Peruvian restaurant in town. I said: "Well, I think I can only have the wine there. I have some major food allergies." He said, "What food allergies?" I said: "Wheat." (Not really an allergy, but no one here knows what celiac is, so y'know.)

The most amazing range of expressions happened on his face, as he thought, so, just don't have bread..wait...oh, there's also...and...wow.

It's always funny to see people connect the dots on their own instead of asking insane questions like if whole wheat is OK. Some coworkers are awesome and don't give me the fifth degree whenever food comes up. :)

celiac, hypothyroid, hereditary hemochromatosis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: