This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Food Made Without Gluten Vs. Food Made In A Dedicated Gluten Free Facility?

jwblue

jwblue Apprentice

Is it ok to eat a tortilla chip that is made without gluten but may or may have not been made in a gluten free facility?

If it was made in a facility that made foods with gluten, could the chips be ok to eat?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

1desperateladysaved Proficient

It might depend on your sensitivity. Mine says, No way.

shadowicewolf Proficient

I'd do it if they had a dedicated line.

mushroom Proficient

You say, "could" they be safe? There are three ways they could be safe:

1 - No cross-contamination took place

2 - There was some cc, but it was less than say 5 ppm.

3 - There was a greater level of cross-contamination but it did not reach your own particular threshold.

This is why there is no blanket answer to questions such as this.

psawyer Proficient

Do you allow any gluten into your home? If so, your home is a "shared facility." Do you ever eat out? The restaurant is a shared facility.

psawyer Proficient

My previous comment was a bit terse--sorry.

But I really do believe that the issue of dedicated facilities is way overblown.

• 2 weeks later...
anngf4life Rookie

I wish that the public and doctors were more aware of this condition. They never check the simple things you say is wring with you and go North instead of south! Lol The plants that process these products need to understand mist of all.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

I wish that the public and doctors were more aware of this condition. They never check the simple things you say is wring with you and go North instead of south! Lol The plants that process these products need to understand mist of all.

Huh? I'm not sure what you are trying to say, but it does not seem to relate to the topic.

mushroom Proficient

Huh? I'm not sure what you are trying to say, but it does not seem to relate to the topic.

Ah, Peter, don't be so grumpy ;):):D

Translation: The public and doctors should be more aware of celiac; instead of checking the simple things they check for the extreme things and then say nothing is wrong with you. And the food manufacturers most of all need to understand the issues of cross-contamination. (With apologies to ann if I got it wrong :P )

cavernio Enthusiast

My home is gluten free. Well, over holidays people had some beer. I don't think I could survive any other way. I don't trust restaurants. If I eat out it's always going to be a risk. That my only discernable reaction has come from nuts that should have not come into contact with anything glutinous, but weren't called gluten free, just makes me more concerned about cc.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

If you need a gluten free home you may need dedicated facilities too. It all depends on your level of sensitivity. It varies a lot.

It is really easy for those who have a higher level to think that those of us with a lower level take things too far. I would probably be the same way myself.

The only way to find out seems to be trial and error.

Archived