mommyto2kids

Pete's Coffee Question

Rate this topic

It is well known that coffee is a diuretic and a stimulant and with that may induce D and effects the general population, not just celiacs.  Adding a creamer may counteract this effect in some people.  I would also look on Pete's website to find out their production protocols ie: shared lines/facility.

Colleen

Coffee can be cross contaminated. If this is your issue, you're probably just lucky the Costco brand hasn't bothered you yet either.

I have never found any reliable info that coffee beans/ grounds would be cc'd. It doesn't take sense as coffee beans are grown and harvested and processed so uniquely.

But, this is not an article discussing gluten cross contamination of coffee,

it is about coffee sweeps and regulations...and it is from 1989. 

However, because of the traditional manner in which these sweeps have been handled, the fact the beans will undergo further processing, and the nature of the adulteration, FDA in its discretion, will permit the sweeps to be exported as provided for by Section 801 of the Act, provided they meet all of the following criteria:

1. All such sweeps shall be placed in bags suitable for food storage and clearly marked with the identity of the importing vessel and with tags indicating that they are for export only.

2. The sweeps shall be stored in a sanitary food storage warehouse.

3. The sweeps shall only contain extraneous matter commonly associated with sweeps; i.e., wood, string, stones, sticks, straw, etc.

4. The appropriate FDA office shall be notified prior to exportation.

Sweeps that contain contaminants such as chemicals, mold, or animal and insect filth or otherwise do not conform to the above criteria will be considered for seizure action.

I am not sure i see the relevance to this question of gluten cross contamination here.

*Material between asterisks is new or revised.*

Issued: 2/26/79

Reissued: 10/1/80

Revised: 7/19/89

Wouldn't open for me. FDA regulations? Not sure what that has to do with gluten?

Look.... Its bad enough we have to give up gluten..... Lose the spontaneity to eat out wherever we want,..... All the other crap..

We don't need people spreading rumors/myths. We don't need people who want to try to scare us out of foods......

Edit : I got to the reg. So...a bag of coffee, in a coffee facility of some sort, breaks and they are allowed to put the beans back in and progress thru the roasting/ grinding, etc cycle.... Where does that say they are processing it in a wheat flour plant? Honestly.... Don't drink coffee if it bothers you or you don't like it.

Edited by kareng

I have posted about the possilbe contaminaiton of ground coffee with gluten several times, for example here: https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/105398-have-you-heard-of-the-problem-with-coffee-for-us/

In my opinion, the U.S. Pharmacopeial is a reliable source of information: http://www.usp.org/

You can search their food fraud data base and you will find several occasions of barley and rye found to be a contaminant. 

http://www.foodfraud.org

An easy fix is to buy whole beans and grind them yourself.

If you don't have any problems with coffee.  Don't worry about this.  I'm guessing that the controversy is because this is only a problem for those of us who are more sensitive.  Also, the contamination is going to be inconsistent.  Many of us won't react to many sources.