Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
2 2
Questioning

Deamidated Gliadin Abs: New or Old Test? Please help interpret results.

Rate this topic

Back again, after having your help with my daughter's testing and diagnosis.  Her gastro recommended the immediate family be tested.  We know it is from my side so it made sense for me to get tested.  At any rate, my testing came back as follows, after following a mostly  gluten-free diet for 5 months due to my daughter.  I have gluten about once/week when on a date with my spouse.  

t­Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA:     <2 U/mL   (Normal)
t­Transglutaminase (tTG) IgG:     <2 U/mL  (Normal)
Deamidated Gliadin Abs, IgA:    47 units  H  (Normal:  1-19)
Deamidated Gliadin Abs, IgG:    17 units       (Normal 1-19)
Immunoglobulin A, Qn, Serum: 165 mg/dL  (Normal)

I cannot tell if this is the new Gliadin test or old and if that is why my general practitioner (GP) said my results were "normal".  Looking at Labcorp, here was the test, which they list the synonym for the test as GDP (new test).

https://www.labcorp.com/test-menu/37226/deaminated-gliadin-antibodies-igg

Just hoping for some assistance, as you all were helpful before.  My GP kinda chuckled when I asked for the testing and then informed me my results were "normal".  I'm not sure if this is worth pursuing with a gastro or whether this test is not celiac-specific.

Thank you in advance!

You should follow up with your GI doctor.  That test is clearly positive and it is celiac specific. Your doctor should not have acted like that when you asked to be tested. You may want to find a more celiac savvy GP.  If you have been mostly gluten free you may need to go back on a regular gluten diet for a bit before you get more celiac testing.

• Upvote 2

It is NOT normal.  I speak from experience.  Only my DGP IgA was above range and the rest of the celiac panel was negative.  My biopsies reveal moderate to severe damage.  There is a reason there are several celiac tests.  Not all have to be positive -- only one.  Even in follow-up testing, I continue to test positive to only the DGP IgA.  My GI no longer bothers to order the rest of the panel. 

Mind you, my only symptom was a long history of anemia (low ferritin and I have a 2nd genetic anemia on top of that).  I had no gut issues at all!  I was shocked.  

Your GP is wrong.  Find a GI who knows about celiac disease.  

Edited by cyclinglady
  • Upvote 1

Deamidated gliadin is the "new" test, the old one is just gliadin (if I understand what you are asking.  

Definitely a positive and not normal.

Thanks, all.  I will follow up with a gastro.

Yes, RMJ, I wasn't sure about the old vs. new testing.  Mine doesn't specify PEPTIDE, so I wasn't sure if it was the new test.  The Labcorp code suggests it is the peptide test, but I just wasn't sure I was correct.

The DGP is certainly positive. Even the newer test can be a false positive though. I tested positive to one DGP test and negative on another within days. This can also happen to first degree relatives. So, I am in your boat as I have a first degree relative with celiac. 

Cycling Lady is right. Find a celiac saavy GI. I would not waste your time with docs who 1) chuckle at what could be destroying your body or 2) are too quick to diagnose based on the labs and put you on a restrictive diet for what might be a false positive. Trust me, I know from experience and am now going to an expert. 

Good luck!

• Upvote 1