This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gum infection

Ennis-TX

Ennis-TX Grand Master

So I have a small infection in my gums seems to be way up there under my right nostril. I feel a tiny bit of pressure when i  press there. Now it forms a white head above my right front incisor in my mouth about 1/8" above my gum line and is on the tooth where I had a crown put in few months ago. I lance it daily and apply pressure from just inside my nostril and roll down to drain it out getting several drops of pus and clear and red fluid out of it. Then rinse with hydrogen peroxide, this has been going on for about a month. Wondering if I should take a antibiotic like amoxicillin.   I do not have dental insurance and unsure how the doctors would deal with it.  Thoughts and suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pikakegirl Enthusiast

I  just had this exact thing. Never figured out what from, food intolerance or medication withdrawal. In any case it kept filling and I kept emptying. What cured it is sea salt which I rubbed up under the gum. It stung but getting up in the wound is what made it heal in 2 days. I also rinsed with sea salt water before bed. Key is to sleep with salty mouth, no water rinse after sea salt rinse. Hang in there.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I would start with your doctor and get a prescription for an antibiotic.  Amoxicillin is usually a first-line antibiotic for dental issues.  Then, I think you will need to go back to the dentist.  Your root might have cracked allowing for bacteria to enter.  You will need an x-ray.  You may need to have an Endodontist look for the crack.  This happened to me.  Infection, failed root canal re-treat,  and then extraction because my  "dead" tooth could not be saved.  The infection caused a lot of bone loss.  I had no pain at all during the infection.   It was caught when I experienced facial swelling and developed a sinus infection as well.  

I am now waiting for my bone grafting to heal before my implant.  More bad news....the two teeth on either side have lost enamel on the sides that used to face my old tooth.  That will need to be fixed.   We are blaming celiac disease.....ugh!  

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I agree please go to your doctor and get an antibiotic as soon as you can. In addition to what Cyclinglady mentioned the area that you have the abcess can spread the infection to your brain. This is not a time for self care. By the way you may not want to tell the dentist that you have been lancing the abcess yourself. Know from personal experience it will bring you a lecture. 

Hope this resolves for you soon.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

So on the amoxicillin 500mg twice a like I thought. Started last night and it did not have pus this morning. Supposed to be on this for a week then go back in for an assessment. Hopefully I do not need a root canal or anything lo!. I could not afford it. 

On a side note noticed some side effects, joint pain today, frequent bowl movements, and thirsty. Bright side is the constant insane cravings for sweets is gone. Been replaced with the old binge craving for almonds and pumpkin seeds.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Update going in next week for xrays, The pus is gone now, it just drains clear fluid and blood now, no lancing just gets a tad bit of pressure pain and when I rub above the gums under my nose it just drains out that little spot that used to have the pimple like thing seems to be a duct for draining now.  I have also incorporated using a hydrogen peroxide rinse twice a day, and using listerine a few days a day. Trying to contain and keep the bacteria in my mouth down for now.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Glad to hear about the improvement!  ?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 3 weeks later...
Ennis-TX Grand Master

Update, black area on x rays, I need to get a root canal. Can not afford the $920 and I shopped around and did my research with coverage options and financing. Pain is the tooth is capped and it raises even the best options prices and limits who will work on it.

Ran out of anti biotics infection came back a week later I am making do with the same stuff but bought for use in fishtanks....works at least and cheap.  I think I will have to pulse use antibiotics to keep it under control for a while. Unless my new business gets the fundraising it needs, or a miracle I am looking at over 6+ months of slowing getting savings for the surgery to fix this -_- PRAY for me it does not get worse til I can get this done, or I find a philanthropist to pay for it lol.

squirmingitch Veteran

Can you find an endodontist who will take payments?

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Ennis,

Sorry to see you are still having tooth problems.  Some people say oil pulling is helpful for dental health.  I am not sure  myself.  I do find Plax dental rinse before brushing is helpful for getting rid of dental tatar buildup.  Hold it in your mouth for 30 seconds prior to brushing.  It softens tartar and makes it easier for a brush to remove.

Ennis-TX Grand Master
1 hour ago, squirmingitch said:

Can you find an endodontist who will take payments?

Only found d 2 in the area that will work with my current complications. They did not mention payment plans will double check with this.

20 minutes ago, GFinDC said:

Hi Ennis,

Sorry to see you are still having tooth problems.  Some people say oil pulling is helpful for dental health.  I am not sure  myself.  I do find Plax dental rinse before brushing is helpful for getting rid of dental tatar buildup.  Hold it in your mouth for 30 seconds prior to brushing.  It softens tartar and makes it easier for a brush to remove.

I have no issues with tarter etc. I do not consume sugars, I brush a hour after each meal and mouth wash (you supposed to wait a bit after eating I was told or you could damage your teeth) Just for some odd reason I get some issues.....comes with celiac I know.

TexasJen Collaborator

Did you call the person who put the crown on a couple of months ago?  It sounds like a complication from his/her procedure?  Maybe you could work a discount/payment plan since this sounds like it was an unexpected outcome?

Hope you feel better soon!

squirmingitch Veteran

Even if they don't have payment plans, ask them if they will work on a sliding scale.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

If there is a dental college near you check and see if they can help.  You should also give the doctor who prescribed the antibiotic a call and see if you can get a refill or a different antibiotic. The office may even have sample packs of meds that they could give you if the cost of the scripts is too much.  You really shouldn't be taking an antibiotic meant for fish.

• 2 months later...
Ennis-TX Grand Master

Figured I would update on this, up to 1000mg of amoxicillin (500mg twice a day) it does nothing anymore the infection is constant, white area above the tooth, pressure and issues breathing out my right nostril some days, pressure behind my right eye, and ringing in my right ear.  Checked around as suggested still only 2 places willing to work with me (do to the infection and nature of it most will not) they charge a good amount of money and the upfront fee on payment plans is outside my ability to pay. Xray show a large black area heading up into the jaw and apparently this is the issue that has caused most to shun working on it.... I no longer have medicaid due to paper work issues. Bakery business has gone really bad this past month. I am honestly not been able to even afford fresh veggies this month and been living on canned spinach for my veggies, and eating the same meals over and over (omelettes, shakes, nut based porridge). 

I am honestly just trying to ignore it and live my life the best I can with the knowledge it is going to probably kill me in the next year and there is nothing I can do about it. Just hoping some philanthropist offers to cover my medical bills or say screw it and let it kill me. I will keep posting on other topics and avoiding this one while I can and hopefully keep contributing to the community with my knowledge base, suggestions, etc in the mean time.

kareng Grand Master
9 minutes ago, Ennis_TX said:

Figured I would update on this, up to 1000mg of amoxicillin (500mg twice a day) it does nothing anymore the infection is constant, white area above the tooth, pressure and issues breathing out my right nostril some days, pressure behind my right eye, and ringing in my right ear.  Checked around as suggested still only 2 places willing to work with me (do to the infection and nature of it most will not) they charge a good amount of money and the upfront fee on payment plans is outside my ability to pay. Xray show a large black area heading up into the jaw and apparently this is the issue that has caused most to shun working on it.... I no longer have medicaid due to paper work issues. Bakery business has gone really bad this past month. I am honestly not been able to even afford fresh veggies this month and been living on canned spinach for my veggies, and eating the same meals over and over (omelettes, shakes, nut based porridge). 

I am honestly just trying to ignore it and live my life the best I can with the knowledge it is going to probably kill me in the next year and there is nothing I can do about it. Just hoping some philanthropist offers to cover my medical bills or say screw it and let it kill me. I will keep posting on other topics and avoiding this one while I can and hopefully keep contributing to the community with my knowledge base, suggestions, etc in the mean time.

Do you have a dental school anywhere close?  Even a couple of hour drive might be worth looking into.  See if you can talk to one of the clinical supervisors/dentists.  This would be a case they would like.

Or just show up to an Emergency room at a big hospital - if its serious, they can't turn you away.  Because that is what will happen eventually.

Edit - Call up Texas A & M school of dentistry and get your butt up to Dallas!

• 1 year later...
Ennis-TX Grand Master

Figured I would give the conclusion to this post, for the past year or so it was responding to sovereign silver 3 times a day. It stopped and got much worse, then a chunk of the tooth next to broke off and I needed an emergency dentist visit.
He looked at the infection and the now 3 affected teeth, I got a double root canal and he did a filling on the 3rd one. Been 4 days...infections gone, he did a bit more then a root canal. He went through the tooth and drained the abscess through the tooth and filled in the area and treated with antibiotics through the hole down through the root into the jaw.....beats surgery.
Should be getting it rechecked sealed up and the crowns next week... I am in the hole with my dad now who financed me. I now have to pay him back for the 1.8k

squirmingitch Veteran

At least you aren't in pain anymore. There is that.

Archived