Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In
6 6
Rick Williams

Positive / negative

Rate this topic

Hi Guys,

Apologies if I have missed similar posts. I have had blood results back which are positive for IgA TTG but negative for IgA endomysial. My sister is confirmed Celiac and I have been struggling with a constant migraine for coming up a year plus some more classic symptoms. 

I have been referred to gastro now however unsure on the results outcome. 

Thanks in advance for any advise/thoughts

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Has your doctor helped you understand your results? Did they recommend a biopsy or gluten-free diet. Given your family history it seems like they should be able to diagnose you with blood tests also, but they may want to do a biopsy as well.

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

4 hours ago, Scott Adams said:

Has your doctor helped you understand your results? Did they recommend a biopsy or gluten-free diet. Given your family history it seems like they should be able to diagnose you with blood tests also, but they may want to do a biopsy as well.

Thank you for your reply. I have been referred to a gastroenterologist for further review and potential tests but no formal explanation as yet as to the current results. Due to current Covid circumstances all referrals are delayed so was reaching out to see if anyone had had similar. I'm aware that migraines aren't particularly common symptoms. 

Actually migraines are a symptom of celiac disease, and here are some research articles we've done on this topic:

https://www.celiac.com/articles.html/celiac-disease-amp-related-diseases-and-disorders/migraine-headaches-and-celiac-disease/ 

Scott Adams

Founder Celiac.com

I was originally tested for celiac disease because of my migraines.  Some doctors feel they are related, some don’t.  I do have celiac disease; eliminating gluten lessened, but didn’t completely eliminate, the migraines.

Extreme, chronic stress could also trigger migraines (and even "regular" headaches).  Fortunately, I have had bad migraines only once or twice in my life.  Both times coincided with periods of bad job physical/mental burnout. 

But from other comments on this board, I see many others linking them to celiac disease.  Regardless of the cause, I would think it would really help to incorporate relaxation, stress reduction, exercise, and healthy sleep and diet habits into your daily routine.  Of course, not so easy in a pandemic!  I could see how a lack of those practices could make them more painful or frequent.   Limiting computer/Iphone/news, listening to soft music, unplugging hours before bedtime, and massaging my face/scalp right before sleep really help me a lot.  Your primary doc can also recommend medications to reduce the frequency.

I hope you feel better soon.   

22 hours ago, Scott Adams said:

I agree, and we recently did an article on this topic:

Thanks for the link Scott! 

I often see that oft-quoted "1 in 100" statistic, along with the observation of massive under-diagnosis.  I can't help but wonder whether a more accurate global celiac disease rate must be a lot higher, maybe closer to 1 out of 50?

The issue is that it does vary by country and genetic groups, so averaged out it may be somewhere near this number, but there really isn't enough data that has been collected worldwide yet to determine the actual number.

Scott Adams

Founder Celiac.com

On 12/15/2020 at 6:10 PM, RMJ said:

I was originally tested for celiac disease because of my migraines.  Some doctors feel they are related, some don’t.  I do have celiac disease; eliminating gluten lessened, but didn’t completely eliminate, the migraines.

On 12/15/2020 at 7:25 PM, trents said:

I don't think there is anything that will eliminate migraines completely on this side of the grave.

RMJ and Trents,

Nothing might not be 100% but there a some great things you can do like take a B-Complex and watch your Nitrates!

Even when you know the answer (sometimes you can't help people).....not saying either of you are like that...

I had a friend where I work who had to retire, in part, due to cluster (headaches) and migraines....but they won't take the Riboflavin I told them about..... (I didn't know about Thiamine then)....

Here is the some of the best research I have read about B-Vitamins helping Migraines.

Maybe it will help you!

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/oct/18/migraines-could-be-caused-by-gut-bacteria-nitrates-food-trigger-study-suggests

Here is the one Thiamine entitled "Oral High-Dose Thiamine Improves the Symptoms of Chronic Cluster Headache"

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29850313/

Here is the one on Riboflavin entitled "High-dose riboflavin treatment is efficacious in migraine prophylaxis: an open study in a tertiary care centre"

Ya'll probably know this I had to look it up "prophylaxis" means to prevent or in advance of disease/or symptoms'...

Riboflavin aka B2 is a Vitamin that can be taken to "prevent" the migraine from  happening in the first place!

And why I always favor a Vitamin when I can find research that shows a Vitamin/Mineral can help my health or the health of others and/or my friends.

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advise.

As always, “Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things” 2 Tim 2:7 this included.

Posterboy by the grace of God,