This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

confusedks Enthusiast
Kassandra, :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry you are feeling so bad. Are you able to do any detox? I wouldn't be surprised if it was the IV Vanco, I've heard it's a very MEAN drug.

I don't have ANY energy to do any detox stuff. I thought about doing ecoffee but there was NO way I had the energy to do that. I can't bathe yet until the port is all healed from the surgery.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AndreaB Contributor
Today is my anniversary and hubby has to work late. But he has the next two days off and we are going to go out and have some fun this weekend.

I know all about nights hubby has to work late. We frequently have to plan things for the weekend, including celebrating the children's birthday's together.

Does anyone know where Jin and Julie are? :unsure: I hope you two are doing well! :wub:

I don't know about Jin, but Julie's posted on other threads within the last few days.

Hope your herx isn't too bad.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Has anyone seen THIS yet?? :o

---------------------------

WASHINGTON (June 5) - Silver-colored metal dental fillings contain mercury that may cause health problems in pregnant women, children and fetuses, the Food and Drug Administration said on Wednesday after settling a related lawsuit.

As part of the settlement with several consumer advocacy groups, the FDA agreed to alert consumers about the potential risks on its website and to issue a more specific rule next year for fillings that contain mercury, FDA spokeswoman Peper Long said.

As the result of a lawsuit, the Food and Drug Administration has agreed to warn consumers that metal fillings, which contain mercury, pose risks to children, fetuses and people who are sensitive to the chemical.

Millions of Americans have the fillings, or amalgams, to patch cavities in their teeth.

"Dental amalgams contain mercury, which may have neurotoxic effects on the nervous systems of developing children and fetuses," the FDA said in a notice on its Web site.

"Pregnant women and persons who may have a health condition that makes them more sensitive to mercury exposure, including individuals with existing high levels of mercury bioburden, should not avoid seeking dental care, but should discuss options with their health practitioner," the agency said.

The FDA said it did not recommend that people who currently have mercury fillings get them removed.

The FDA must issue the new rules in July 2009, Long said.

Such a rule could impact makers of metal fillings, which include Dentsply International Inc and Danaher Corp unit Kerr.

The new rule will give the agency "special controls (that) can provide reasonable assurance of the safety and effectiveness of the product," Long said.

The lawsuit settlement was reached on Monday with several advocacy groups, including Moms Against Mercury, which had sought to have mercury fillings removed from the U.S. market.

While the FDA previously said various studies showed no harm from mercury fillings, some consumer groups contend the fillings can trigger a range of health problems such as multiple sclerosis and Alzheimer's disease. In 2006, an FDA advisory panel of outside experts said most people would not be harmed by them, but said the agency needed more information.

Mercury has been linked to brain and kidney damage at certain levels. Amalgams contain half mercury and half a combination of other metals.

Charles Brown, a lawyer for one of the groups called Consumers for Dental Choice, said the agency's move represented an about-face. "Gone, gone, gone are all of FDA's claims that no science exists that amalgam is unsafe," he said in a statement.

J.P. Morgan Securities Inc. analyst Ipsita Smolinski said the FDA is not likely to outright ban the fillings next year but will probably call for restrictions.

"We do believe that the agency will ask for the label to indicate that mercury is an ingredient in the filling, and that special populations should be exempt from such fillings, such as: nursing women, pregnant women, young children, and immunocompromised individuals," Smolinski wrote in a research note on Wednesday.

Fewer patients have been opting for mercury fillings in recent years, instead choosing lighter options such as tooth-colored resin composites.

Only 30 percent of fillings given to patients were mercury-filled ones as of 2003, according to the American Dental Association (ADA). Other options include glass cement and porcelain as well as other metals such as gold, but they cost more and are less durable, the group has said.

AndreaB Contributor

Hadn't seen it Rachel.....thanks.

Wish I had known this stuff before I had my teeth worked on during my last pregnancy though. <_<

mftnchn Explorer

I've revised my interest in the Marshall protocol after reading much more about and finding out what happens to anyone who disagrees with its tenets on the forum or off of it. Here's some scientificness that is really good about it:

Open Original Shared Link

So while I am curious still about the timing of the current flare I am not ready to stop trying to get my D levels up to more normal levels.

Sherry

mftnchn Explorer
Sherry, I remember someone in my family telling me about a friend who would have some kind of reaction every year the first time they were exposed to the sun. This person went to the doctor who told her that it was a sign of a vitamin D deficiency. They got the vitamin D they needed at the first exposure, it caused a reaction, then they never had that reaction the rest of the season.

I'm sorry I don't remember more details, but I would be tested for vitamin D before you start assuming it's too much vitamin D causing the problem. :)

Yes, I think this is more likely the case, my level taken at the end of February was very very low. Have tried unsuccessfully to get it done out here, so don't know what it is currently. It's on the list to test later this month.

Sherry

mftnchn Explorer
Done! :)

Thanks for the links! Yeah, I remember a thread on LN about toe pain, and for the longest time I kept writing off the pain to that alone, and I still think some of the pain might be to that too. Also probably doesn't help that I've gained 15 pounds. :angry::lol: I'm not making any decisions on surgery until at least the end of June though because I see my GI again on the 24th specifically for a followup to the growth on my ampulla. Whether I do surgery on my toe or not will depend on the results of that appointment, lol.

Well I now think that the cause being high Vitamin D is suspicious but I'll still bet there is some reason for the pain if you could just trace it.

Sherry

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mftnchn Explorer

One really intriguing tidbit I did pick up reading about the MP stuff is two patients who responded well to the treatment reporting resolution of their dupuytrens contractures. That is the first ever I have read anyone claim to have that resolve. Since I am getting a contracture in my right hand that really interested me. I suggests what I have suspected, that it is a systemic issue, and that there is an answer somewhere besides surgery.

I tend to think this was a valid report because it isn't a core claim of the protocol and no other mention is made other than the patient's reporting the various aspects of their improvements.

Sherry

CarlaB Enthusiast
Today is my anniversary

Happy anniversary!!

I don't have ANY energy to do any detox stuff. I thought about doing ecoffee but there was NO way I had the energy to do that.

That's the catch 22 .... no energy to do it, but more energy if you do. :) Do it how I do ... make the coffee at one time, then do the ecoffee later.

Has anyone seen THIS yet?? :o

---------------------------

Yes! I saw it yesterday and was going to post it this morning. Have you gone to the FDA website yet? It was changed June 3.

Yes, I think this is more likely the case, my level taken at the end of February was very very low.

Me, too. I know the sun used to absolutely kill me last summer. This summer I'm doing fine. I took vitamin D 3 through the winter until I could get some sun. From what I've read, it's the D 2 supplementation (like in milk) that is not good.

I also don't like how the Marshall protocol doesn't allow anyone questioning the system. I know someone from LN who was just asking questions there, who actually was trying the protocol, and got booted.

mftnchn Explorer

Yes I read about many instances of valid posts, questions, ideas and people all being booted from MP site. Also found a lot of questions about the science. His approach was developed through computer models not testing. That said, there are some people reporting drastic improvement. Problem is, none that aren't are reported or allowed to post so you have to look elsewhere to figure it out.

Carla, I'm on D3 now, but probably not enough and long enough yet. Also we don't know if I am absorbing it. I can't get levels checked here.

Rachel, thanks for posting. That is GREAT news!

Kassandra, on the ecoffee, that's what I do, too. Make it the evening before and all I have to do is warm it and I'm good to go in the morning.

Paula, happy anniversary!

Sherry

dlp252 Apprentice

Hi all. Well, NO chelation, NO Lyme treatment, nada. I'm a little bummed, so I'm keeping my post sort of short, lol.

He is please with my progress and wants me to do natural chelation, and also natural lyme treatment, so is basically handing me off to someone like Dr. Amy. Now, the reason I'm trying to keep my post short is because that statement I made sounds so negative and like I am displeased, but I'm not, lol, so that's why the short posts. :P

My DMPS challenge test didn't show a high enough range for him to think I needed agressive chelation. He did say that it could be because it was the first DMPS, and that maybe my levels would changes if I had 1 or 2 more, but made no mention of wanting to do another one. My essential elements numbers were all out of balance, but he made no mention of anything regarding that.

Basically my head is toxic. So I guess my plan is to really try to get in to see Dr. Amy, and maybe I'll start with another ART session with Scott.

On top of all of that, the scheduling nurse called yesterday (but I didn't have time to call back) saying that the pre-authorization was in for my surgery and wants to know what days are good or not good for me...um, try MONTH, lol. So, I have to call her back today and I haven't even talked to my boss yet who I expect is going to not be happy about this.

And then there's the stupid carpet and the stupid tires, which I forgot to call and order AGAIN, lol. :rolleyes:

And, to top all that off, it's danged busy at work today. :angry:

So, I'm in a bummed out, discouraged, overwhelmed, sort of pissy mood today (in case you couldn't tell, lol). :P:lol::angry:<_<:(:o:huh::PB):) (does that cover all the emotions, lol)

AndreaB Contributor

Donna,

I'm sorry things didn't go as planned for your appointment. :( I'd rather do more natural treatment of metals unless more was needed as well. Amy should be able to help with what would be best for you right now.

If you do see Dr. Amy and need to come up here first to establish yourself as a patient, I'd be very happy though. :D If we could coordinate your appoinment with Amy at a time when my mom was home to watch the kids that'd be even better. :D

Are you going to have church members help with the carpet or hire someone to do it?

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Hi all. Well, NO chelation, NO Lyme treatment, nada. I'm a little bummed, so I'm keeping my post sort of short, lol.

My DMPS challenge test didn't show a high enough range for him to think I needed agressive chelation. He did say that it could be because it was the first DMPS, and that maybe my levels would changes if I had 1 or 2 more, but made no mention of wanting to do another one. My essential elements numbers were all out of balance, but he made no mention of anything regarding that.

Awww Donna....I'm sorry things didnt go so great yesterday. I'd be bummed too. :(

Did you tell him that you'd like to do more DMPS treatments to see how the results appear after a few more tries? I find that with Dr. S. you have to be kind of letting him know what direction you want to go in and you have to let him know what you think. I think he actually likes to have that feedback rather than trying to make "blind" choices regarding treatment in the absence of clear tests results.

Since you *did* have the positive Lyme results I think there is alot of room for discussion as far as treatment options. I think I would let him know that you want to start treatment because you dont really feel as if you're moving forward.

I think he might have ok'd additional DMPS treatments if you were requesting that based on the fact that the first challenges typically dont show high ranges anyway.

I also think it would be good for you to see Amy and with the info. that she can provide...Dr. S. will have more of an idea of how to go about treating you....with less risk for setbacks. He is really not the type of Dr. who wants to make a mistake with regards to treatment and he fears that he will cause setbacks with aggressive treatment in those who are highly toxic/sensitive.

I usually go in there with a plan in mind and we'll discuss my thoughts...he will provide his own thoughts and we will come to an agreement on how we should proceed. I dont bother to see him anymore unless I actually have a plan/idea and he is very helpful as far as ordering whatever tests would be useful and also providing the necessary treatment...whatever it may be.

Also having Amy's input helps alot. He is always interested in what the ART results are, where Amy thinks we need to direct our attention and what treatment she finds to be most effective for me. He values that additional input and will take it all into consideration.

I think some doctors will make every decision for you with regards to aggressive treatment but I think with Dr. S. he is needing more input from the patient. He is VERY knowledgeable but he will be reluctant to prescribe treatment unless you're giving him reason to think it would benefit you.

I really think he would have given you the go ahead for more DMPS treatments if you'd requested it and were feeling like you really wanted to go ahead with that to get a better idea on the metal situation. I've definately had to explain my reason for wanting to proceed with treatment...and also using the strongest method (IV DMPS). He would have preferred a milder form of treatment but I was really wanting to see how well I could do with continued IV DMPS treatments.

Basically, he's working for YOU and you really need to let him know what you want out of your visits with him and you can let him know when you're not happy with the way things are going. I think you will have better luck with him that way.

Sorry you had to feel let down again. I can see that you're feeling really frusterated right now. :(

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Also, Donna....the skewed minerals in the provoked urine challenge dont mean anything. Its not an indicator of what is going on in your body. The chelator pulls out this stuff preferentially so those results cant determine any clear abnormalities.

The only one that really mattered to me was copper because it was increasingly elevated in my challenge tests...even beyond what would be considered "normal" for a provoked urine challenge. Neither Dr. caught that....so sometimes we have to be our own "detectives" with these tests and with whats going on in our bodies.

I think even the best Dr.'s are going to miss some things so having more than one person to interpret results...as well as getting a good understanding so that you yourself can interpret the results...can be very helpful.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel,

Were you able to see your crush before he left to germany yesterday. I think it was yesterday that you said he was leaving lol.

Paula, it actually got changed to today. I said my goodbye's yesterday. It was hard.....harder than I thought it would be.

So yeah...I guess I remembered how to cry because the tears just kept coming the past couple days.

I'm not Cameron Diaz anymore....ok well maybe I'm Cameron Diaz at the end of the movie...cuz I "found" my tears. :P

I'll be ok though....I have lots of support. ;)

Andrea, M. is out of town from today until Tuesday....she was really upset and concerned that she's not going to be here in case I'm crying or sad. It was bad timing that she happened to plan her getaway for this weekend. That part kind of sucks but other people have been there making sure that I'm ok. :)

I actually ended up crying on the phone yesterday while I was talking to my ex (yes, THAT ex) and OMG...I just let everything out about all of this. I still can hardly believe it but I got SO much support, kind words and genuine concern and CARE. I think it might have been one of the best conversations we've had. I had a really good feeling after that....it helped me alot. :)

In the past I've been alot stronger but I actually crossed my threshold this week with a couple bad food choices. It made everything harder to deal with I think. On top of that *everything* seemed to be going wrong for me the first 4-5 days of my vacation. You know how when it rains...it pours....well it was freaking all coming down on me at once! :blink:

Anyways, I'm not sure if all of that made it harder for me to stay strong the last couple days...or if the whole thing just became more *real* to me.

Anyways, I'm feeling better today. Its nice that I have people around me who care and are wanting to be there for me. I think thats a big part of why I'm not ever holding things inside...I dont even think the people in my life would ever really allow me to do that. I'm able to talk about my feelings....everything just flows out of me but it would be harder if I didnt have those people who are always there to listen.

So I think I'll be ok...plus its not like saying goodbye forever and we'll still talk all the time...its just harder with the time difference. I'll have to start using email more often. :rolleyes:

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Paula...Happy Anniversary and enjoy your weekend with hubby. :)

AndreaB Contributor
...its just harder with the time difference. I'll have to start using email more often. :rolleyes:

That means you need to get used to checking email more frequently.

Hugs. :wub:

confusedks Enthusiast
So, I'm in a bummed out, discouraged, overwhelmed, sort of pissy mood today (in case you couldn't tell, lol). :P:lol::angry:<_<:(:o:huh::PB):) (does that cover all the emotions, lol)

:lol: :lol:

dlp252 Apprentice

Thanks everyone, sorry I vented!

I'll ask him to do the challenge again once I know what's going on with my foot and after seeing my GI later this month. Those two things are the biggest things weighing on my right now...the carpet is secondary, lol.

He was okay with me having the foot surgery, but doesn't want me to have general anesthesia, which I don't think this doctor does anyway.

The toxic head thing was from something he saw on the neurotransmitter results I took with me.

Here are my results:

Aluminum 15 (< 35)

Antimony < dl (< 1)

Arsenic 18 (<130)

Beryllium < dl (< .05)

Bismuth 1.1 (< 15)

Cadmium < dl (< 2)

Lead 0.4 (< 5)

Mercury 0.9 (< 4)

Nickel 5.1 (< 12)

Platinum < dl (< 1)

Thallium 0.2 (< 0.8)

Thorium < dl (< 0.3)

Tin 3.2 (< 10)

Tungsten 0.7 (< 1)

Uranium < dl (< 0.2)

Creatinine 39 (35-225)

Sodium 3700 (1000-5200)

Potassium 2520 (850-3200)

Phosphorus 620 (250-1300)

Calcium 87 (55-400)

Magnesium 240 (45-230)

Zinc 2.7 (0.1-2)

Copper 0.41 (0.01-0.09)

Sulfur 1140 (280-1500)

Manganese 0.004 (0.0005-0.01)

Molybdenum 0.056 (0.016-0.18)

Boron 1.5 (0.8-5.7)

Chromium 0.085 (0.01-0.15)

Lithium 0.34 (0.008-0.2)

Selenium 0.11 (0.05-0.35)

Strontium 0.24 (0.06-0.45)

Vanadium 0.02 (0.004-0.045)

Barium 0.003 (< 0.015)

Cobalt 0.076 (< 0.04)

Iron < dl (< 0.45)

Zirconium < dl (< 0.005)

confused Community Regular

Donna,

Your lithium is also high. I am so sorry you are going threw all of this. I know how you feel right now, im pretty much feeling the same way. I know im toxic even if the hair analysis says other wise. I hope you get everything figured out real soon.

Today I found out my aunt is in ICU and not doing great at all. I was feeling so good til i found this out and now im in a major funk. It jsut proves stress does do so much damage to a toxic person lol.

Thanks for all the anniversary wishes. We are going to go out to dinner tommorow if my mom is sitll able to come, depending on if her sister makes a turn for the worse. If not we will just hang out at the park celebration tommorow with the kids.

Rachel,

Im sorry you have been crying. Just remember we cant all be strong all of the time. Even tho we think we can. Just think 2 years is not that long of a time, by that time you will be back to normal and eating everything.

There was so much more i wanted to say, but i cant remember now lol

dlp252 Apprentice

Thanks Paula! I edited my post to highlight lithium too, lol. I don't think I said "Happy Anniversary" to you, so HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! I hope your aunt is okay!

Yeah, Dr. S really wants me to stay away from stress, but it's nearly impossible for me...the best I can do is try to find better ways to deal with it. I work for a law office for goodness sakes, lol! :lol:

Green12 Enthusiast

Donna, sorry about your appt, I can tell you are bummed :(

And never apologize for venting! That's what we are here for, we're in this together :)

Sounds like Rachel has given a lot of food for thought, I have faith that all of this will get sorted out for you :wub:

Happy anniversary Paula to you and your hubby! Was it yesterday or today?? I hope you will be able to celebrate. So sorry to hear about your aunt :(

Rachel, sorry about your friend leaving :( I'm glad you have so much support around you, I think that is key. And it's awesome you are able to keep in touch across the miles, with phone and email, that will help a lot!

confusedks Enthusiast

I don't know if I can post this here or not, but this is a link for videos of the Lyme Induced Autism conference that is in a couple weeks.

I guess you can watch it as a webcast. I am excited because I'm not able to go to the conference, but at least I'll be able to see some of the conference! :D

Open Original Shared Link

mftnchn Explorer
Donna, sorry about your appt, I can tell you are bummed :(

And never apologize for venting! That's what we are here for, we're in this together :)

Sounds like Rachel has given a lot of food for thought, I have faith that all of this will get sorted out for you :wub:

Happy anniversary Paula to you and your hubby! Was it yesterday or today?? I hope you will be able to celebrate. So sorry to hear about your aunt :(

Rachel, sorry about your friend leaving :( I'm glad you have so much support around you, I think that is key. And it's awesome you are able to keep in touch across the miles, with phone and email, that will help a lot!

Ditto to all this.

Sherry

confusedks Enthusiast

OMG!!! I am having my first IV abx infusion tomorrow!!!!! :D:) Insurance is covering the IV's! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So at 2-3pm tomorrow I will be infusing! :)

Archived