This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sinus Problems

dionnek

dionnek Enthusiast

I've noticed several mentionings of sinus issues - my question is has anyone discovered if this is related to the gluten, or maybe dairy or soy or something else? I've only been gluten-free for about 3 /12 weeks, so have not healed yet (still have all the issues), but I have noticed that about 2 weeks ago my sinus problems came back (usually get a sinus infection every year around Jan/Feb.). I do live in Georgia, where we have A LOT of pollen, so it could be due to that, but I was just curious since I had seen mention of sinus issues what other people have discovered.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

powderprincess Rookie

I have been voluntarily off dairy since Jan 1 and I have not had a sinus infection since. Prior to that I would roll from one sinus infection to the other.

mmaccartney Explorer

I've been gluten-free and DF for almost one year now. This Spring I was hit with the sinus infection from hell. It started after a common cold. First round of antibiotics only set it back for about 2 weeks. Second roud set it back for about 4 weeks. Third round finally cleared it out. Since that time my sinus' have been clearer then they have been for years!

jerseyangel Proficient

I went off dairy 2 years ago primarily because of my sinus problems but also to see if it would help my stomach. With the exception of spring allergies, I have not had any sinus problems since.

skbird Contributor

Being on or off dairy hasn't affected any sinus stuff for me. This spring, I was briefly glutened (must have gotten a pretzel crumb in my chips at our Oscar party) and within 4 days got a KILLER sinus infection that lingered in one form or another for four weeks. I ended up with antibiotics which also did a number on me. Before I went gluten free, I was getting regular sinus infections every year. That is one thing that has cleared up impressively since going gluten-free.

Stephanie

plantime Contributor

I had one sinus infection after another. Then I went gluten-free, and almost all of the swelling in my sinuses went away. I haven't had an infection since, thank God! Whenever I get glutened, the first thing that happens is my sinuses swell up again, and no medicine can stop the swelling. That tells me that my sinus problems are in part caused by gluten. I do still have hay fever, but now the main problem is runny nose instead of congestion.

lindalee Enthusiast
I've noticed several mentionings of sinus issues - my question is has anyone discovered if this is related to the gluten, or maybe dairy or soy or something else? I've only been gluten-free for about 3 /12 weeks, so have not healed yet (still have all the issues), but I have noticed that about 2 weeks ago my sinus problems came back (usually get a sinus infection every year around Jan/Feb.). I do live in Georgia, where we have A LOT of pollen, so it could be due to that, but I was just curious since I had seen mention of sinus issues what other people have discovered.

My understanding is FUNGUS is the problem.. I didn't go on medicine but got the sinus cleanser and probiotics and occasionall (when bad) put a dab of neosprorm in the nose. It is difficult to clean fungus out with the cleanser and neosporom (sp) gets it good. Instant relief for me. LindaLee

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dlp252 Apprentice

I don't know whether it was the gluten or the dairy, but I can say that I was sick the entire month of October 2005 (strep throat, ear infection and then a sinus infection) and before that had had a sinus infection every six weeks (almost like clockwork). I'd been seeing an allergist and a regular doctor and tried all sorts of things--the only thing that worked for the 3.5 years before I went gluten/dairy free was a very clean low carb (not processed foods) diet (and one time a candida rotation diet) which by it's nature was gluten-free. It was getting so bad that megadoses of antibiotics weren't knocking it out...no kidding, I was taking 4,000mg per day plus prednisone and it still wasn't taking them away. I got allergy shots twice a week for that whole 3.5 years, but never seemed to improve! I tried the nasal washes, sprays and even colloidal silver, none of which helped.

After being so sick for the month of October, I started putting two and two together (I had eaten a BUNCH of gluten/dairy in September) and decided to research the gluten thing--I have a co-worker who is Celiac, so I started with her. I went gluten free at the beginning of November and after my Enterolab testing went dairy free in December...haven't had a sinus infection since October.

So, as I said, I don't know whether it was the gluten or the dairy, or if they were just contributing factors, but my sinuses are now clearer than they have been in years and I'm getting allergy shots ONCE every three weeks now instead of twice a week.

Archived