This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bleh! New Grist Is Gross!

chewymom

chewymom Rookie

I was actually in a place where I was able to buy a 6-pack of New Grist over the weekend. Tonight I opened a bottle...and YUCK! That stuff is nasty! Oh, I am so gonna miss my yummy Killians....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Heater Rookie

You could try La Messagere. I like it alright, and I didn't even like beer before. Some of my beer drinking friends have tried it and said it's not terrible.

Sorry you didn't like it.

I was actually in a place where I was able to buy a 6-pack of New Grist over the weekend. Tonight I opened a bottle...and YUCK! That stuff is nasty! Oh, I am so gonna miss my yummy Killians....
mouse Enthusiast

I really like New Grist and wish I could get it in Arizona. Next month we are going to Las Vegas and on the way home I am buying a case to bring back. Sorry you did not like it.

hez Enthusiast

Sorry you did not like it :( I was never a beer drinker even before dx. So for me I kinda like it. It is light and not heavy. My dh who is a beer snob thinks it is gross!

Hez

par18 Apprentice
I really like New Grist and wish I could get it in Arizona. Next month we are going to Las Vegas and on the way home I am buying a case to bring back. Sorry you did not like it.

I have to agree with you. I have drank a lot of beer in my life prior to my diagnosis of Celiac last year. This is far from the worst beer I ever had. I try not to compare most gluten free products with their gluten counterpart. I am comparing it to no beer. When I look at it that way it actually tastes pretty good.

Tom

prinsessa Contributor

I probably wouldn't buy it because I don't like lighter tasting beer. Beer is one of those things I miss the most. I can find substitutes for most other things.....but gluten free beer isn't really the same. I tried one before and didn't really like it. I rather drink hard cider than gluten free beer.

Sterndogg Apprentice

As a former micro beer drinker the New Grist isn't that bad at all. While lighter than Bard's Tale (which is also pretty good) I find it much more flavorful than all the mass produced crap out there and find it refreshing. It will never be able to compare to a craft beer like a Harpoon or Shipyard or import, but it certainly does the job when cider, wine, or hard alcohol aren't in the mix. We will be seeing other entries to the market and once A-B gets onboard others will also realize the unmet need for gluten-free beer.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

I respectfully disagree. I miss Killians too :)

More New Grist for me!

chewymom Rookie

To me, there's just an aftertaste that "bites." I'm glad some of you like it. Looks like I'll be enjoying my wine now. And if I get really desperate for a beer, there are five more New Grists in my extra fridge.... :huh:

To me, there's just an aftertaste that "bites." I'm glad some of you like it. Looks like I'll be enjoying my wine now. And if I get really desperate for a beer, there are five more New Grists in my extra fridge.... :huh:

Its important to note that I hadn't had a beer in 8 or 9 years before Bards and New Grist, so my mouth could only vaguely remember what beer tasted like

:)

grantschoep Contributor

I didn't care for it at first. Not a fan of light beers, but then, since its the only one I can get out here now, I've gotten to like it pretty well. Its nice to go over to two of my friends house's and grab a beer out of their fridge(two different friends keep it in stock for me). What is extra great, is one guys wife loves it, so she keeps a good amount in stock as well.

I'd loved to see something much more hoppy. maybe an IPA, note, New Grist just took the gold medal last week and the Great American Beer Festival in the "speciaties" catagory. These last two years were the first years I haven't attended it, wish I would have went this year to see

dairy queen Rookie

I too, am not a fan of beer. But you know how the saying goes. Once you can't have something, thats when you want it.

So DH and I went to Outback for our anniversary. And they had the bards tale there and I got one. I was so excited just drinking a beer. So of course, I knocked it over and spilled most of it :angry: Well our delightful server was wonderful and brought me a new one for free.

Sorry to hijack, just had to share my story.

Is new grist like bards?

So sorry you didn't like it. Maybe next summer when it's really hot, you can ice it up real well and it will go down better ;):D

Anheuser Busch will be coming out with a gluten-free beer next year, so maybe that one will be better for all...

par18 Apprentice
I respectfully disagree. I miss Killians too :)

More New Grist for me!

I'll drink to that.

Turtle Enthusiast

I second that par18!!!

penguin Community Regular

It tasted like I was drinking the liquid in my inhaler.

By the way...that isn't tasty.

ianm Apprentice

I was always a stout and brown ale fan but New Grist is really quite good. It would be better if they used more hops but I'm not complaining.

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Haven't had New Grist, but just met the new brewmaster from Bard's at the Celiac conference at Stanford, he did say that the alcohol content was higher now (close to 6 percent), I tasted it and promptly bought a six-pack. I think it quite tastes like normal beer.....and there is very much beer in my past :ph34r: so I did feel somewhat adequate to judge. ;)

Archived