Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

azmom3

What Do You Use To Transport Your Food Everywhere You Go?

I'm just wondering if we have to take our food with us everywhere, what's the best way to do this? Is there something better out there than the typical school lunch box and if you ever bring hot foods with you, what's the best thing for that? What about icepacks...are some better than others. We have always just bought cheap ones for school lunches and I'm not sure if there's something better out there or not. If you have brand names and/or where you purchased it, even better. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have a small soft-sided cooler that I found on QVC. The top and the bottom zip open, so it can be stored (and frozen) flat.

The inside is completely lined with fluid filled pockets (looks like dozens of little ice cubes), and when you freeze it, it keeps food cold for quite a while. Last summer, I froze several individual meals, and they stayed completely frozen during a 5 hour car trip. It also works for hot foods. I like it because there is no need for a separate cold insert, and whatever's inside stays dry.

http://www.qvc.com/index.html

The item # is--F10719. You can just type it into the search bar. For some reason, I can't link the exact page. :angry:

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I have a small soft-sided cooler that I found on QVC. The top and the bottom zip open, so it can be stored (and frozen) flat.

The inside is completely lined with fluid filled pockets (looks like dozens of little ice cubes), and when you freeze it, it keeps food cold for quite a while. Last summer, I froze several individual meals, and they stayed completely frozen during a 5 hour car trip. It also works for hot foods. I like it because there is no need for a separate cold insert, and whatever's inside stays dry.

http://www.qvc.com/index.html

The item # is--F10719. You can just type it into the search bar. For some reason, I can't link the exact page. :angry:

Thank you! I pulled it up and it looks pretty good...I like the idea of the built-in ice. I'm curious to see what everyone else is using, too. Thanks again!

I just use the cheap school-lunchbox type cooler. I'm usually just bringing my lunch so it's only got to last a couple hours. Plus I don't bring things that really go bad - maybe cheese, but that will survive a few hours of not being in th fridge. For longer trips, I often freeze my drink to keep the rest of the food cold.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

I use a small Coleman cooler...it has a handle and its easy to carry around. I'm not sure exactly how big it is but it says it can hold a 12-pack plus ice. I usually just put whatever needs to kept cold in the cooler with some ice....or sometimes I put ice-packs in there too.

If I was just needing something to put my lunch in I would use a regular soft-sided lunch box...then put ice-packs in it.

Rachel

Guest cassidy

I work out of my car and I live in Florida, so a good cooler is a must. I like the kind that plugs into your cigarette lighter. It keeps things cool even when you turn the car off for a while, you don't have to worry about melting ice packs getting things wet and you don't have to remember to freeze something every night and put it back in the cooler. I guess it depends on what place you are using the cooler in, but for the car, this one is great. You can get them pretty cheaply on ebay.

If you need to use ice packs I found the ones that come with medicine work the best. Your doctor might have some that they can give you, or a pharmacy. I used to get a refridgerated medicine mail ordered to my house and I have a ton of those.

I work out of my car and I live in Florida, so a good cooler is a must. I like the kind that plugs into your cigarette lighter. It keeps things cool even when you turn the car off for a while, you don't have to worry about melting ice packs getting things wet and you don't have to remember to freeze something every night and put it back in the cooler. I guess it depends on what place you are using the cooler in, but for the car, this one is great. You can get them pretty cheaply on ebay.

If you need to use ice packs I found the ones that come with medicine work the best. Your doctor might have some that they can give you, or a pharmacy. I used to get a refridgerated medicine mail ordered to my house and I have a ton of those.

That's the kind of ice pack I use, too. I got mine at the local pharmacy. They don't leak at all and since they're flexible, they don't take up as much space as the hard-sided ones.

I have to laugh about the cigarette-lighter cooler. I live in Minnesota, and we only get cigarette-lighter coffee mugs to keep things warm!

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

I have several soft sided coolers that have great insulation. They fold up flat for storage and have side pockets for additional items. I got mine at Target.

hypothyroid

hypoglycemic (diagnosed 1997 but symptomatic since grade school)

fibromyalgia

rheumatoid arthritis (diagnosed January 2005)

peanut allergy

restarting gluten-free January 20, 2013

elevated liver enzymes + symptoms indicated celiac January 31, 2013. Dr. didn't want to run further tests due to other health complications

i have a large size lunch bag...i can fit in a square tupperware type thing, a drink, and fruit/and or chips. I have two "refreezable" ice thingys (one is a smiley face, one is an oreo, go figure) that i refreeze each night. i take it to work everyday, and everywhere i go :)

I have a "Playmate Elite" big cooler by Coolmate for taking to work every day. We just bought this for traveling over Christmas.

ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)

corn-free (03.27.2007)

xanthan gum-free