Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hi, im on week three of this gluten free diet thing and im wondering...what's a good substitute to white bread? so far i've tried white rice bread in the wegmans gluten free section, which tastes good but has a texture and dryness of sawdust. I just started eating glutino brand corn bread which is slightly better but is also pretty dry.

Now im a sandwhich kinda guy, so i need an alternative to white bread that's got a good texture, flavor, and not dry. What do you guys reccomend? is making your own bread the best way to go? if so recipe links?

If you have a Whole Foods near you, try their Prarie Bread (in the freezer section). Even my 12 year old son will eat it and that says alot! They also make a sun-dried tomato bread which you will find in the same section. My sister-in-law makes her own bread and says it is easiest if you have a bread maker.

I also found Glutino bagels which also passed the taste test. If you don't have a Whole Foods near you maybe you can order it from them on-line. Good luck - bread is a tough one!

I only use Kinnikinnick white rice bread. either toasted or microwaved.

~ lisa ~

Pancakes.

Sounds weird, I know, but it's actually rather tasty - they have good texture and flavour right out of the fridge. Lots of people use a mix, but they can be rather sweet. The best set I've had came from a recipe on this site - 1c flour, 1c milk, 1 egg, 2 tbsp sugar, 2 tbsp oil, and 1 tsp baking powder. Mix everything together and cook in a hot dry skillet. They fluff up about a quarter inch (just like the old non-gluten-free pancakes!) and make a nice dense half to a sandwich. I'd cut back the sugar to about 2 tsp if you want to use them with savoury or spicy fillings instead of sweets (being a pb&j girl, I never worry about the sweetness).

I was very surprised when I went to Europe before New Year of 2007. That's where I got a clue about Gluten Products.

Yes, after I spoke to several people, they explaned me exactely what is gluten and where it's coming from. All of White Bread products contains Gluten and you can't do anything about it. In Germany people where really into Baltic Food and especially Lithuanian Bread. As I found, it does not contain any gluten at all or you can say so, if there's less than 95% of wheat in the product. A bread you have to look for is called Black or Dark Rye Bread. I found http://www.valgiai.com online store - what they do, they import it frozen from Lithuanian Bakeries. THe sourdough is unique and has the oldest traditions from Eastern Europe. I was pretty dissapointed to know that all the products (white bread, bakery products, etc) contains gluten. And if you read about it, you know what it does... :o

Sorry to dissapoint you but Rye is not safe for celiacs. It is on our list of forbidden foods. You can click on Site Index at the top left of your screen and then Safe/Forbidden Foods for a comprehensive list.