This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Breads?

MGoers37

MGoers37 Rookie

Hi, im on week three of this gluten free diet thing and im wondering...what's a good substitute to white bread? so far i've tried white rice bread in the wegmans gluten free section, which tastes good but has a texture and dryness of sawdust. I just started eating glutino brand corn bread which is slightly better but is also pretty dry.

Now im a sandwhich kinda guy, so i need an alternative to white bread that's got a good texture, flavor, and not dry. What do you guys reccomend? is making your own bread the best way to go? if so recipe links?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Viola 1 Rookie
Hi, im on week three of this gluten free diet thing and im wondering...what's a good substitute to white bread? so far i've tried white rice bread in the wegmans gluten free section, which tastes good but has a texture and dryness of sawdust. I just started eating glutino brand corn bread which is slightly better but is also pretty dry.

Now im a sandwhich kinda guy, so i need an alternative to white bread that's got a good texture, flavor, and not dry. What do you guys reccomend? is making your own bread the best way to go? if so recipe links?

Hello, welcome to the board.

I personally use Kinnikinnick sandwich bread or tapioca white bread, How ever, I do like Glutino buns and Kinnikinnick English muffins are wonderful.

You need to remember that which ever bread you choose, it needs to be heated either for a few seconds (I've found 24 seconds works) or toast it. If you are using a toaster, it must be one that hasn't had glutin type breads toasted in it, so you may need a new one. If you use the micro, put your bread on a paper towel.

Once heated, put a bit of butter or margarine on it, then put your filling in and it is much softer and doesn't fall apart.

Hope this helps :P

larry mac Enthusiast

MG37,

Six weeks here. I'm making all my bread and assorted goodies. I haven't seen anything yet from my kitchen that resembles white bread. Everything save white rice flour has a darker color to it, and using only white rice flour is not a viable option for a variety of reasons. All my breads, muffins, etc. have ranged from yellow to brown. Others may have different results, although I haven't really tried to make a white bread per se.

The best I've made so far has been the gluten-free flax bread recipe that has it's own thread here. Just in the last six weeks, I've probably read hundreds of bread recipes. There's recipes, discussions and advice all over the place. I'd start here. You could spend weeks learning stuff here. Then there are the links on the home page. Of course I'm sure you've already searched "gluten-free" on google.

best regards, lm

tarnalberry Community Regular

a lot of gluten-free breads work better if you heat them up - particularly in a (non-contaminated) toaster.

I used to eat a lot of sandwhiches, but have opted to go to other foods, as I just am not a fan of gluten-free breads (other than quick breads I make myself.)

missy'smom Collaborator

We recently tried the Namaste bread mix and I would use it again. It was very easy to make, MUCH easier than the gluten filled bread I used to make. It had a light whole grain flavor, was moist with slightly dense texture. It was like real bread to me. Of course it's been so long since I've had bread I probably forgot what it is like :P I always ate whole grain breads before. It worked well for tuna melts and I thought about using it toasted for BLT's. I sprinkled sesame seeds on top and in the pan.

StrongerToday Enthusiast

I usually have Knicniknick or Celiac Specialties, and yes I toast *everything*.

emcmaster Collaborator

Hi there and congrats on your 3 weeks gluten-free!

I don't use bread - I use mission white corn tortillas. They're small, so I put the sandwich toppings on them and then fold in half to eat like a taco. Not traditional, but they're incredibly cheap, taste good, don't soak up all your toppings, and don't crumble.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

All the commercially available premade breads taste like dry sponges to me.

I make either the submarine sandwich bread from Annalise Roberts' cookbook (gluten-free Baking Classics--best cookbook I ever bought) or Lorka's flax bread recipe (it has its own thread on this site) which is amazing!

The subway sandwich bread is almost like a good French loaf--nice and crusty.

chrissy Collaborator

we like pamela's wheat free bread mix----we even eat it plain and untoasted. we also like robin ryberg's buttermilk bread from her cook book "the gluten free kitchen.

mac3 Apprentice

We also buy Kinnikinnick breads. My daughter actually LIKES it! They also have a bread and bun mix (white) that is super easy to make...looks normal...and tastes good too! It doesn't seem to be as dry either. the mix is my daughter's favorite. I do everything on-line and have it shipped to me. The company has been GREAT to deal with and I get faster service from them than anyone else I've ordered from. I find it's easier to order on-line rather than stopping at 12 health food stores and sometimes not coming home with what I want.

jennyj Collaborator

I adore Ener G corn loaf. It is a white bread and it makes wonderful hamburger buns.

loraleena Contributor

Food For Life makes great Brown Rice wraps. You need to warm them. Yum.

harriedlate Newbie

Hi, I too avoid the white breads because of sawdust in the mouth. I use Joans gfgreatbakes English Muffins.They are like Thomas muffins.If you have time try the bagels,you can take them for lunches.My favorite is chicken salad on a bagel. I had not had that for six years. I nearly cried with the first one

happygirl Collaborator

Kinnikinnick bagels, toasted, and warmed with sandwich meat/cheese of choice----very very good!

amber-rose Contributor

I use Ener-G 'Light Tapioca Loaf''. Then microwave it for about 20 secs.

I was amazed, when you microwave it & then let it cool for about 30 secs. It tastes like real bread! It feels pretty much like it too! Its sooo good. I highly recommend it! Plus, its cheaper than some of the other breads! :D Atleast where I buy it.

You can buy it at Nob Hill, sometimes Raleys, or just order it off of amazon .com.

It lasts for like 9 months too!

hathor Contributor

The gluten-free bread at Trader Joes isn't half bad.

I'm almost as new to this as you are and haven't done any baking yet, although I've put together some links for mixes. The first gluten-free bread I tried (EnerG high fiber) tasted like sawdust to me, even toasted. Maybe I don't like tapioca. The Trader Joe's bread is based on rice flour.

new to LI Newbie
Hello, welcome to the board.

I personally use Kinnikinnick sandwich bread or tapioca white bread, How ever, I do like Glutino buns and Kinnikinnick English muffins are wonderful.

You need to remember that which ever bread you choose, it needs to be heated either for a few seconds (I've found 24 seconds works) or toast it. If you are using a toaster, it must be one that hasn't had glutin type breads toasted in it, so you may need a new one. If you use the micro, put your bread on a paper towel.

Once heated, put a bit of butter or margarine on it, then put your filling in and it is much softer and doesn't fall apart.

Hope this helps :P

i use kinnikinnick white sandwich bread (ditto on the butter trick) i also use foods by george english muffins.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I use the grainless baker sandwich bread. Very tasty.

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

I'm week 4 so I haven't started working on my own recipes yet...but....last week I made a loaf of Gluten Free Pantry's Sandwich Bread. I cried, it was so good. I had sandwiches all week with it. Tomorrow I'm going to make the french bread/pizza loaf I have. WELL worth the $$$.

kbabe1968 Enthusiast
i use kinnikinnick white sandwich bread (ditto on the butter trick) i also use foods by george english muffins.

I bought those.....had one so far. It's a little "thick". I like the texture okay, and taste wasn't bad BUT it was so big! LOL! Have you ever tried to slice it into say 4 slices and use it that way, kind of like a mini loaf of bread? Will it work or will the two extra slices go bad being removed from the freezer? I know the bag recommends using 1 at a time and defrosting only when needed. I've been afraid to try another simply b/c it's too much bread for me....

Thoughts?

Viola 1 Rookie
I bought those.....had one so far. It's a little "thick". I like the texture okay, and taste wasn't bad BUT it was so big! LOL! Have you ever tried to slice it into say 4 slices and use it that way, kind of like a mini loaf of bread? Will it work or will the two extra slices go bad being removed from the freezer? I know the bag recommends using 1 at a time and defrosting only when needed. I've been afraid to try another simply b/c it's too much bread for me....

Thoughts?

With the Kinnikinnick English muffins, I thaw just enough to be able to slice one in three, then put one or two slices back in the fridge in a sandwich bag. Then have it the next day just with butter with soup, or with a bit of butter and cheese. That way I'm not eating such a big muffin :P

MGoers37 Rookie

Thoughts?

how many grain servings are they worth on the food pyramid? if they're so huge they should be worth more than 1 right?

i was never a big grain eater but i've been trying to get all of the stuff on the pyramid as best as i can. Grains has always eluded me, id get 2 maybe three servings out of the reccomended 6-11 a day. Then again i don't eat breakfast at all...that would probably help...

at least i can still eat cream of rice :)

Anonymousgurl Contributor

I'm currently looking for a sandwich bread too...preferibly one lower in fat since I can't tolerate oils and butters all that well (I know most bread have it, I'd just like to find a bread that isn't loaded with it). Anyone have any suggestions? I think im buying a bread machine soon, so maybe some of you have some recipes?

The ONLY bread that I'm having right now is Food For Life's frozen fruit juice sweetened millet bread. It's good, but you cant do much with it because you kinda have to soak it in water, then stick it in the oven. definitely NOT sandwich bread. LoL.

gfp Enthusiast
a lot of gluten-free breads work better if you heat them up - particularly in a (non-contaminated) toaster.

I used to eat a lot of sandwhiches, but have opted to go to other foods, as I just am not a fan of gluten-free breads (other than quick breads I make myself.)

Yep my view is most gluten-free breads are dissapointing,even the better ones ... so I find I'm dissapointed less by something designed to be gluten-free, whether its a corn tortilla wrap or a chickpea based middle eastern/Indian bread... the main thing I find is to try and eat something that is designed for that and your pre-expecations don't get disspointed...else its never quite what you remembered..

JayT Rookie

Try this...buy the Kinickinick hotdog buns...keep them frozen...and when you want a good sub/steak sandwich you just microwave it for 20-30 seconds then slice it in half long ways. Now you can put in the toaster or under the broiler and you get a great sandwich. Check out this pic...

main.php?g2_itemId=40

Archived