This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Do You Have To Have In Your House

Sandi

Sandi Explorer

HI

I am trying to make it easier to stick to this diet

I want to go shopping tomorrow and would like to ask

what everyone has to have in their house as staples and all

I will need some food to be fast and easy to make

I am allergic to many fruits, some nuts and I am not sure about dairy and casin

so I am staying away from them right now

The 2 days I have my arms are not burning as much

I think I will need a new frying pan for just me right??

what about sponges for dishes and dishes them selves

I am not so worried abot about cross, becasue the rest of the family is going on the diet with me, i am not cooking several meals, We all need to lose weight too.

So the few times I have bread in the house or other things I cant eat Ill be extra careful.

Any other hints or things I should know

Thanks

sandi

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

some of the things I found I cannot live without

Tinkayda Pasta--all types

Glutino Pretzels-I prefer the pretzel sticks

Boil in bag white rice

A new strainer would be a good idea and maybe some new utensils if yours were plastic.

Where in NY are you? Do you have any good health food stores around you? I can give you more suggestions then.

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

As for kitechen items:

A new gluten-free toaster.

A new gluten-free collander.

No wooden spoons or cutting boards.

No teflon/non-stick pans.

No cast iron pans.

Buy disposable gloves! You find a use for them once you buy them. My kids are not gluten-free, so I use gloves when I make their sandwhiches for school.

Bathroom:

Check your toothpastes, soaps, lotions, etc.

As for food:

Sounds like you might be best on fresh whole foods right now. I live on rice and baked potatoes, corn, carrots, broccoli, tons of fruit and juices. (Read the labels/call on the juices). Salsa, tortilla chips, cheeses, fresh meats, eggs, homemade breads and snacks.

Cherrybrook kitchen is my favorite for gluten-free cupcakes! (Nut free, egg free, Dairy/casein free, gluten-free - and it tastes great!!!)

Vans Waffles are gluten-free and Casein free too. (Make sure you get the gluten-free they make regular too)

I would buy a Bette Hagman cookbook. She has some great recipes for breads. I make the fRench bread recipe for my pizza dough. Love it!

Good luck.

happygirl Collaborator

Tinkyada (rice based) pasta

Minute rice

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Wegmans. They label everything that is safe and I have never had a CC issue with any of their stuff. Make sure you get a new dedicated toaster and if you plan on doing gluten-free baking it is not a bad idea to get new baking pans, or use tin foil. The other thing I can not do without is my powder free non latex gloves, I buy them by the box at my drugstore and use them to feed the fish, scour the sink, or anytime I have to work with glues or clays that I know are not safe.

Oh and most important be sure to check every single med you take OTC and script, generics are particularly risky.

I have to second Ravenwoodglass. I shop at that store all the time and have no problems. Looking for that little G has been another life saver. It makes my shopping less of a headache.

Phyllis28 Apprentice

Rice, tomato sauce, gluten free canned refried beans, gluten free canned baked beans, gluten free pasta, peanut butter, jelly, rice cakes and tuna fish.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StrongerToday Enthusiast

I bought a rice cooker and I LOVE it!!

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

If it helps,

Here are the items I purchased when I first got diagnosed

1. Toaster - A must have!

2. My own pans - I went cheap at first and got better ones later.

3. Mini George Foreman Grill - it makes things so much easier.

4. My own utensils - cheap at first, then nice later

5. My own cuttting boards

6. My own dish washing utensils.

7. Rice Cookers are nice too! :)

8. A new stariner/colander.

9. Set of knives

If you get those things, you should be alright for kitchen supplies.

Sandi Explorer

HI

Thank you all for the great replies

I wrote it all down and will take it with me.

Some things will have to wait, like the toaster, I wont be making bread any time soon, Money is really short right now.

I did once try enr gy brand pasta and it was slimey are they all like that?

We have a few health food stores but they are small and dont seem to have alot

When my kids school is over and I have time I will drive to Trade Joe's and there is a fresh food there and ill see what else, but thats over a hour away and my youngest is grad. from 8th and i have to deal with that.

Thank you all again!!

Hugs to you all

sandi

Good Luck Sandi!

loco-ladi Contributor

basic staples for me are:

hoffmans fine noodles, since I can't yet find something to "thicken" my soups and stews I found their fine noodles do a dandy job of it and taste good too.

gluten-free broth both chicken and beef again for the soups and stews.

carrots, potatoes, apples, fruit of any kind

Chocolate chip cookies (OMG I am in love with those even go thru withdrawals when I run out! 3 years without seems to have made me an addict! :rolleyes: )

gluten-free flour, just a basic one you can use to adapt your current recipes

Xantham (sp) gum, use this more than I thought I would its a little pricey but will be used.

I bought yesterday a new mixer that had the dough hoooks in it, I had a bread machine before and found it was just as easy for me to mix it up then put it in a reg bread pan and the oven to cook, cost me $98 however I figure it can do double duty as a bread machine and a mixer for those chocolate chip cookies ;)

gluten-free recipes if you havent figured out yet can be a "bit" tougher to mix by hand so I concider that a well earned bonus for my kitchen.

wowzer Community Regular

I would check what is at your health food store if it is close. I have one by me that doesn't have a large selection of gluten free, but what they carry is so much more reasonable than Meijer's even. Each time I go in now, I see they are beginning to carry more gluten free items. Many are $1.00 or more cheaper than other places I've been. I got quite a few flours and xanthan gum there. They are reasonably priced on what they do have. I have found they will order something for me if they don't have it also. I get a brown rice baking mix for like $2.19 there. It is kind of like a Bisquick mix. I've been using it for muffins. Good luck.

hangininthere Apprentice

For pasta, the Tinkyada brand is just like wheat pasta, only made with rice.

It has a very good flavor and texture, not slimy at all - it's just like wheat pasta.

I use Tinkyada spaghetti and rotini and stove pipe pastas, delicious.

It cooks up easily and doesn't mess up, just like wheat pasta.

I get it at my local health food store, I hope yours has it too, it's the very best pasta.

Best wishes to all!

Karen B. Explorer

Replace anything porous. In addition to everything else mentioned, if you have a pizza stone, get a new one. If you have a cast iron skillet, re-season it.

I keep Lundberg Chicken Herb RiceXpress and Lundberg Santa Fe Grill RiceXpress on hand for quick "hamburger helper" type of meals. Toss in some canned chicken and mixed veggies and you have an instant meal. And it's brown rice which has more fiber.

Gotta have:

fresh and frozen fruits and veggies

fresh and frozen meats

Tinkyada pasta

Lundberg short grain brown rice

Pamela's pancake and baking mix

Pamela's Wheat Free Bread mix

Namaste Spice Cake mix

Chebe mix

GFP French Bread and Pizza mix

Nut Thins (I like Almond)

Silk Soy milk (I'm not dairy intolerent, I just like Silk better)

Vanilla Yogurt

cheddar, mozzarella and parmesan grated cheeses

canned beans of all varieties (read labels, some may have gluten!!!)

canned pineapple

8 oz. brick packs of gluten-free broth

gluten-free soy sauce

Sadaf Curry Powder (gotta have my curried chicken salad)

AltiPlano Gold Instant Quinoa, various flavors (like instant oatmeal but tastes better)

Mesa Sunrise cereal

Pasta Sauce

and for those "I'm not June Cleaver" days:

canned Taco Bell Fat Free refried beans and crispy tostada shells (and salsa)

cans of Healthy Choice country vegatable soup and chicken and rice soup

cans of Dinty Moore

frozen Amy's rice mac-n-cheese, enchiladas and rice crust pizza

frozen Ian's fish sticks

frozen Wellshire kids chicken nuggets

I'm sure I'll think of something else after I hit "Add Reply" :-)

Sandi Explorer

Thank you, thank you thank you all

I am so not a martha stewart, and I lack imagtation

I went today and walked slowly around the store, and looked and read. I don't usually shop at a regular store but BJ's and they dont have much choice

I was surprised at how many gluten free stuff there is now. A lot I knew to look closer at becasue of your lists, again thank you

I couldnt buy alot now, but little by little. I did buy rice cakes and Maranatha cashew butter but I am feeling itchy now, I used to be able to eat that as a snack, but maybe thats no good now its just cashew nuts and saftflower oil. I am allergic to some nuts so maybe its that now too

I do see I have to watch what I eat as I want to lose weight too, this food seems to be more caleries

Thank you for your help and advice

I really want to do it this time

sandi

BJ's is like a Sams or Costco..warehouse store?

Try your local grocery stores, they may have more for you.

Karen B. Explorer
Thank you, thank you thank you all

I am so not a martha stewart, and I lack imagtation

I went today and walked slowly around the store, and looked and read. I don't usually shop at a regular store but BJ's and they dont have much choice

I was surprised at how many gluten free stuff there is now. A lot I knew to look closer at becasue of your lists, again thank you

I couldnt buy alot now, but little by little. I did buy rice cakes and Maranatha cashew butter but I am feeling itchy now, I used to be able to eat that as a snack, but maybe thats no good now its just cashew nuts and saftflower oil. I am allergic to some nuts so maybe its that now too

I do see I have to watch what I eat as I want to lose weight too, this food seems to be more caleries

Thank you for your help and advice

I really want to do it this time

sandi

If you're trying to lose weight, I should tell you that the AltiPlano Gold instant quinoa is 5 grams of fiber per serving. My Mom is on Weight Watchers and she likes to have the it for dinner because it's very filling and the variety pak has some really yummy flavors. The only places I've found it is a local health food store and online at Open Original Shared Link

Also, for those trying to lose weight, the Fat Free Taco Bell refried beans are high fiber and very healthy. Adding salsa or fresh pico de gallo doesn't add a lot of calories and a couple of tostadas is good, easy dinner.

Sandi Explorer
BJ's is like a Sams or Costco..warehouse store?

Try your local grocery stores, they may have more for you.

yes BJ's is like Costos

Yes I see i will haveto be shopping more at the regular stores

sandi

We don't have a BJ's, but I have seen there near Philly and in NJ when we were on the way to the beach.

I don't always have luck at my local grocery store but it is getting better. They now have a gluten free section. Mostly standard stuff but it is a start. I can tolerate it until Sept when my Wegmans opens.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

My staples are:

- Tinkyada

- Chicken Taquitos from Trader Joes

- Refried Beans (for the Taquitos)

- Kraft Mexican Shredded cheese (again, for the Taquitos)

- Frozen Tilapia from Sam's Club

- Frozen Chicken (Tysons) from Sam's Club

- Rice

- gluten-free Bagels from Joan (www.gfgreatbakes.com)

- Tuna (wonderful on a toasted sesame gluten-free bagel)

- Bell & Evans gluten-free Chicken Nuggets

- Foods by George Pizza

- Lots of different condiments

With any of these I can make a very, very easy quick meal that requires no cooking talent whatsoever. LOL!! Heck, I'm not even sure any of this is considered cooking.

If you ever come across the Bell and evans chicken nuggets, those are great!

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast
We don't have a BJ's, but I have seen there near Philly and in NJ when we were on the way to the beach.

I don't always have luck at my local grocery store but it is getting better. They now have a gluten free section. Mostly standard stuff but it is a start. I can tolerate it until Sept when my Wegmans opens.

There is Actually a BJ's in Camp Hill.

I think I saw you in Wegmans on Sat :P

There is Actually a BJ's in Camp Hill.

I think I saw you in Wegmans on Sat :P

I was there on Saturday, it was about 3 or so. You should have said Hi, I am friendly. That store was a zoo on Saturday. It is funny you said this, I was thinking about this the other day at work, I know you shop at that store and it would be something to run into you. I love that store.

Archived