Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ebrbetty

Bread Crumbs

I really need a good bread crumb, I bought The Gluten Free Pantry bread crumbs but they were so highly spiced they overpower my meatballs.

so, what brand do you use?

thanks

~Betty

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I use the leftovers from Lorka's flax bread recipe. I collect the "heels" and when I have enough I process them into crumbs and keep them in the freezer.

Lorka's Flax Bread

(my flour combination included here. Lorka's original recipe here: http://www.recipezaar.com/190906 )

1/4 cup garfava flour

1/2 cup potato starch

1/4 cup cornstarch

1/4 cup flaxmeal

1/2 cup brown rice flour

1/2 cup sorghum flour

1/4 cup tapioca starch

2 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum

2 teaspoons active dry yeast

1 teaspoon salt

2 eggs

2 egg whites

1 cup water or milk

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

2 tablespoons honey

2 teaspoons vinegar

Combine flours, flax, starches, gum, yeast, salt.

In the mixer, combine wet ingredients, then add the dry.

Scrape the sides, and mix on medium for 4-5 minutes.

Pour into 9x5 pan, and let rise to top of pan (took about 80 minutes). I always, always let it rise in a turned off oven.

Bake at 350F for about 40 minutes.

Remove from pan, cool, and slice.

*use egg replacer of choice to create a vegan loaf, as well as an alternative sweetener for the honey.

Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)

Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05

biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05

Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

I use the Kinnikinnick brand Bread Crumbs. They are just like regular bread crumbs in texture and flavor. Finding these at my local health food store has been a life saver - I can make many of the old recipes gluten-free now!

I use Quinoa Flakes in some applications.

They're usually in the cereal aisle, as they're meant to be a hot cereal, like Cream-of-Wh .. . ..lol I don't even want to type the W word!!!!!!!!

For one, they're awesome in breading for fried fish. Mmmmmmmmm!! :)

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03

Dairy-free since 10-04

Soy-free since 5-07

I use the Kinnikinnick brand Bread Crumbs. They are just like regular bread crumbs in texture and flavor. Finding these at my local health food store has been a life saver - I can make many of the old recipes gluten-free now!

I vote for Kinnikinnick too....

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

I really need a good bread crumb, I bought The Gluten Free Pantry bread crumbs but they were so highly spiced they overpower my meatballs.

so, what brand do you use?

thanks

Hi Betty, I think I have tried every nasty bread crumb out there. I have finally started making my own. I will get about 5 to 6 loafs of bread from kinnick (sp) or I will even use their hamburger buns. I cut them up and toast them then put them in my blender. Once they are nice and fine I add all my seasonings. I get a huge amount and I freeze them, this way it last for a very long time. I ususally make them twice a year. My family actually prefers these to the regular gluten ones. I will admit it is very time consuming, but my daughter loves to help and once it is done, you won't have to worry about it for a long time. I also cut up my left over bread or bagels into squares and freeze them until the next time I am going to make bread crumbs or stuffing.

Good Luck. Lorrie