Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sharps45

Glutened By Trix Cereal

I love Trix cereal. I am always careful to check the label before I buy to make sure they haven't changed the ingredients. But the last two boxes I tried gave me the usual glutened symptoms- as in I didn't even finish breakfast before I was on the throne. I rechecked the ingredients and they were okay. I sent an email to general mills, but no answer yet. Has anyone else had this problem?

diagnosed 9-07, symptoms for many years

really only get sick from oats and white bread

hard to say goodbye to Olive Garden!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I think the cross contamination factor in these cereal factories has to be considered. Even if they claim there is no gluten in a product, cross contamination will always be a factor. I did read the ingredients of Trix and I am not seeing any gluten. Do you by any chance react to corn? Or rice? I personally would stick with the companies that make gluten free cereals in dedicated areas, less chance of contamination.

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

Join eNewsletter

Besides the outrageous cost of the gluten-free cereals, I haven't yet found one I can stand to eat. The buckwheat cereals seem slimy once wet with milk, and the rice and corn ones have, at least to my taste buds, a bad aftertaste. I've actually gagged up a mouthful of perky o's!

The bad part is, the longer I'm gluten free, the harder any cc hits me. Bummer for me, I guess.

I was mostly trying to see if anyone else had run into this problem.

Join eNewsletter

sharps45

The only cereals I have tried at the grocery store (from the normal cereals) has been Dora the Explorer and one of the Disney ones that was next to the Dora box -- has Mickey if I am remembering correct on the box, sorry been a while (it is kind of like Trix).

I agree with darlindeb25 -- I remember one box of the Dora I felt fine but the next box I got I did feel sick after eating it... so you definatly have to be careful of CC.

I have tried Perky O's and would also pass on those ick.

Nature's Path has one called Organic Corn Flakes -- it is pretty good. This has been the only cereal I have gotten in the past couple of months.

But you are right -- it is hard finding a good cereal.

GOOD LUCK :)

Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007

Completely Gluten Free February 2008

Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008

No MSG July 2008

Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009

Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

Join eNewsletter

One option is not bother with cereal. Examples of alternatives are Gluten Free Pancakes, gluten free muffins, or gluten free bars (Glutino or Enjoy Life). The pancakes and muffins can be made in advance and frozen in individual servings.

Also, you do not have to stick to a "Standard Breakfast". Any food that is gluten free is ok. One of my favorite things to eat for breakfast is peanut butter and jelly on rice cakes.

Phyllis

Gluten Free - 30 years

Join eNewsletter

I rec'd a reply from General Mills, which pretty much said if it's not on the label then it isn't in the box.

I still think it is a cc thing.

As for pancakes or such in the morning, I've always been a cereal guy, since I was little. I've given up my oatmeal and malt o meal, any more and life isn't worth living. Okay, so a little melodramatic, but most of you know how I feel.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

Join eNewsletter

Old trix thread

Ingredient list from google:

INGREDIENTS: corn (meal, flour), sugar, corn syrup, canola and/or rice bran oil, modified corn starch, corn starch, salt, guar gum, gum arabic, high fructose corn syrup, calcium carbonate, dicalcium phosphate, trisodium phosphate, red 40, yellow 6, blue 1 and other color added, baking soda, sodium citrate, natural and artificial flavor, citric acid, malic acid, zinc and iron (mineral nutrients), vitamin C (sodium acorbate), a B vitamin (niacinamide), vitamin B6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride), vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin B1 (thiamin mononitrate), vitamin A (palmitate), a B vitamin (folic acid), vitamin B12, vitamin D, wheat starch. Freshness preserved by BHT.

The baking soda could be the problem.

The wheat starch tends to sneak in and out of the ingredient list, but I'll assume you have a box that doesn't list it (GM's says any wheat will be listed on the label). Makes my tummy feel safe when recipes change from production line to production line. I read somewhere else (sorry no link) that a small amount of wheat starch is added as a binder in trix. <shrug>

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter