Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ursa Major

I'll Be Gone For Two Weeks, Starting Tomorrow

I haven't seen my Ottawa kids/grandkids since Christmas. Way too long!

I was talking to my oldest granddaughter, Emily (she'll be eight in May) a few weeks ago, and she was saying, "You know, Oma, sometimes I wish for some peace and quiet away from my brothers and sisters!" (she has two younger brothers and two younger sisters).

When I suggested that I'll come and pick her up, and take her travelling with me, visiting several relatives in her area (within three hours travelling distance by car), she was delighted. So, that is what I'll be doing.

Unfortunately, we are making it sort of tough on those poor relatives, because Emily and I are both gluten, egg and dairy free! Plus there are a lot more things I can't eat.

Still, everybody is delighted we are coming. Lets hope that neither of us will end up being glutened. But all our relatives are extremely good in making us safe, and very understanding.

I will be back two weeks from tomorrow. I doubt that I will have a chance to check in here while I am gone.

I will check in tomorrow morning, because I am not leaving until about noon.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Have a safe trip Ursa and a wonderful time with all your family. I know what joy they bring you and how hard it is to be so far away. Can't wait to hear all about it when you return and see some new avatar pics too! :)

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

Join eNewsletter

Have a wonderful grandma/granddaughter trip, and congrats on your Easter surprise!

Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)

Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05

biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05

Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

Join eNewsletter

Ursa,

Have a great trip and enjoy seeing everybody. :D We'll see you when you get back.

Linda,

I love your new picture :) So nice to see you!

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

Have fun. Hopefully you'll have great weather also, we're so close to having warm weather and I'm so ready to get rid of the snow.

Gail

Gluten Free since Jan. 06

Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602

Lactose intolerant.

Join eNewsletter

Hey, Ursula!

You'll be in my backyard! Get ready for some astonishingly high snowbanks--we've just had the second-highest recorded snowfall through one winter. If you're looking for a reasonably priced, cozy retauurant/cafe with several delicious gluten-free menu items, Wild Oat in the Glebe is terrific! And Bella Vista Pizzeria has terrific gluten-free pizza, pasta and beer.

Have a great time with your granddaughter! :)

Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973

diagnosed celiac winter 2005

diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! 253.gif

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.

--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

Join eNewsletter

I haven't seen my Ottawa kids/grandkids since Christmas. Way too long!

I was talking to my oldest granddaughter, Emily (she'll be eight in May) a few weeks ago, and she was saying, "You know, Oma, sometimes I wish for some peace and quiet away from my brothers and sisters!" (she has two younger brothers and two younger sisters).

When I suggested that I'll come and pick her up, and take her travelling with me, visiting several relatives in her area (within three hours travelling distance by car), she was delighted. So, that is what I'll be doing.

Unfortunately, we are making it sort of tough on those poor relatives, because Emily and I are both gluten, egg and dairy free! Plus there are a lot more things I can't eat.

Still, everybody is delighted we are coming. Lets hope that neither of us will end up being glutened. But all our relatives are extremely good in making us safe, and very understanding.

I will be back two weeks from tomorrow. I doubt that I will have a chance to check in here while I am gone.

I will check in tomorrow morning, because I am not leaving until about noon.

Hi Ursa Major,

Have a fun and safe trip. I agree with the hockey guy; get ready for some snow banks. I have family back in southern Ontario, and they've complained to me a # of times about the "excess" snow they've gotten this year.

I hope your trip will be full of hugs, fond memories and many pictures taking moments. :)

I look forward to your postings when you return. I like your "wisdom" and simpleness with your responses to postings. By the Way, Love your nickname too. :)

hugs safe journey.

44 yr old mom, SAHM (stay at home; aka a Retro Mama :D , 2 special needs kids dd 15yrs ds 4 yrs

Follows Compassion Rules "Treat others; they way you wish to be treated"

blood test negative: celiac However, doctor felt other factors in blood works warranted trying the gluten-free diet

April 7/08 Doctor confirms gluten intolerance/ remain gluten-free for 2 more months; and repeat tests

Gluten free since March 4/2008 (other than accidently, or unknown gluten used--- its a learning process, Gluten is everywhere!)

"People are like stained-glassed windows. Best viewed in the light!" unknown author

"I am only as strong as the coffee I drink, and the hairspray I use" :)

Join eNewsletter

Thanks everybody! I am now not leaving until very early tomorrow morning. I was feeling too run down yesterday to get my packing done, I was getting a migraine from exhaustion and ended up going to bed instead of packing.

So, today I slept until noon, and will take my time to get my shopping and packing done. It is a 5 1/2 hour drive from here to Ottawa. If I leave in between six and seven in the morning, I will be there for lunch.

Yes, I know about their record snow falls! We still have snowbanks here, and almost a foot of snow in our backyard (I am about 50 miles north of Toronto). But my daughter told me that they still have FOUR feet of snow in their backyard!

Today it is -5 degrees Celsius here, and more snow is on the way. But not until tomorrow afternoon, so I should be able to outrun it.

And this is supposed to be SPRING! But that's okay, I don't really mind the cold weather. But everybody else is moaning, which can get on your nerves!

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter