Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest digmom1014

Tired Legs

Guest digmom1014

I have been gluten-free over 4 months and so many thing have cleared-up. I really am so thankful for everyone's help navigating the gluten-free waters.

However, I have a problem with my legs being tired. It's almost like from the hips up, I'm fine but the legs are still catching up. Do you think it just hasn't been long enough? I am also taking B-12 and have a banana every morning for potassium plus flax, calcium, multi, asprin, and fish oil. Yikes!

Does anyone else have this problem? I am very active and still do all my exercise but, I shouldn't have that lead feeling just climbing the stairs.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

yes I have that, but I have a lot of other things going on so am not sure it is for the same reason.

I am curious though because I suspect my grown daughter to also have celiac, she has yet to admit it, LOL. But she complained as a child all the time about her legs hurting.

4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

I have it too, but I also have a lot of things going on in addition to gluten intolerance. In fact all my muscles are weak and tired and painful even though I exercise regularly and do strength work a couple of times a week.

I have the same issue. As a kid I was full of energy and ran around like crazy, as a teen I was on the swim team, I ran, I biked and I walked but my legs were always tired.

Now I am gluten free 6 months and many things have improved but my legs. My daughter and I were talking tonight about me still being tired and she said after years of malabsorption I can't expect to be all better already.

I suppose she has a good point. If the iron levels are low the oxygen level in the blood is low and there you have it, a bad combo! :rolleyes: Its the only thing I can even think of anymore. I take vitamins but there is no way to be healed through and through. Plus with all the damage we have done to ourselves I worry about what else is to come.

No matter which Dr I go to, they have no idea why my legs are tired.

~Barb

Gluten Free October 18, 2007

YIPPEE for Gluten free

I have the same issue. As a kid I was full of energy and ran around like crazy, as a teen I was on the swim team, I ran, I biked and I walked but my legs were always tired.

Now I am gluten free 6 months and many things have improved but my legs. My daughter and I were talking tonight about me still being tired and she said after years of malabsorption I can't expect to be all better already.

I suppose she has a good point. If the iron levels are low the oxygen level in the blood is low and there you have it, a bad combo! :rolleyes: Its the only thing I can even think of anymore. I take vitamins but there is no way to be healed through and through. Plus with all the damage we have done to ourselves I worry about what else is to come.

No matter which Dr I go to, they have no idea why my legs are tired.

I have been complaining of this problem repeatedly. For me I think I was just not getting enough calories and I added in Mg and B12. My legs feel stronger since taking in more calories. I have been eating less meat and more carbs and i think it has helped tremendously.

28 yr old Male

Diagnosed Celiac in February 2007

Gluten-free/Casein Free

HLA DQ 2,3 Subtype (2,8) I have both celiac genes!

Married

1 child 9 months- Levi

Yeast/Bacteria overgrowth

" CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS AND THE THINGS YOU LOOK AT CHANGE"

Wayne Dyer

I had leg pains from about the age of seven. Terrible pain in the hip joint that would radiate down to the knee and at times to my ankles. They did all kinds of tests, considered leg braces *I didn't stand "straight" my back would bend back more than normal kids, I guess) They decided it was growing pains and sent me home telling my mum to have me stand against a wall for fifteen minutes a day.

Swim team and sports were often wonderful for the oddness of my back. But my legs and the radiating pains STILL gets me. I'm turning 30 and I doubt they'd know today what to call it.

The heaviness is exactly what I told my husband I felt this past week. I felt heavy. With the energy around me feeling like it's just pulling me down. Odd.

I would assume that it has something to do with continuing to lift weights and do yoga, no matter how sick I've been.

I suck it up and make sure that I exersize to help my body regenerate. And it does help, IMO. I would only feel worse if I didn't get up and DO SOME THING!

I'm not sure what's causing it. I get plenty of protein (beef, fish, some poultry), I have a good liquid *gluten free* multi that I love...

I eat bananas and some fruits and veggies when I can handle them.

Grains are all but out. I have a half cup of rice about every other day.

It seems we have different diets and the same symptoms.

Mine comes and goes. I generally just take a rest period and usually a nap.

What else are you to do?

4/30/2008 Went Gluten Free

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0202

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,7)

3/19/2009 11 Months Gluten Free:Gluten Sensitivity Stool Test

Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA 21 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

I had leg pains from about the age of seven. Terrible pain in the hip joint that would radiate down to the knee and at times to my ankles. They did all kinds of tests, considered leg braces *I didn't stand "straight" my back would bend back more than normal kids, I guess) They decided it was growing pains and sent me home telling my mum to have me stand against a wall for fifteen minutes a day.

Swim team and sports were often wonderful for the oddness of my back. But my legs and the radiating pains STILL gets me. I'm turning 30 and I doubt they'd know today what to call it.

The heaviness is exactly what I told my husband I felt this past week. I felt heavy. With the energy around me feeling like it's just pulling me down. Odd.

I would assume that it has something to do with continuing to lift weights and do yoga, no matter how sick I've been.

I suck it up and make sure that I exersize to help my body regenerate. And it does help, IMO. I would only feel worse if I didn't get up and DO SOME THING!

I'm not sure what's causing it. I get plenty of protein (beef, fish, some poultry), I have a good liquid *gluten free* multi that I love...

I eat bananas and some fruits and veggies when I can handle them.

Grains are all but out. I have a half cup of rice about every other day.

It seems we have different diets and the same symptoms.

Mine comes and goes. I generally just take a rest period and usually a nap.

What else are you to do?

You are a really good example, you eat healthy, you exercise, get plenty of rest and take your supplements and you still have this.

Yes, what else are we to do. The only thing I can say is I'm thankful for all of you because otherwise I would be clueless and alone on this whole thing.

I'm not thankful we have this to deal with though but I am thankful it isn't worse because I know there are many other things out there that are worse.

~Barb

YIPPEE for Gluten free

I'm flattered. Ty.

I'm right there with you on being thankful for finding this site. It's been a huge help to me as well!

When I talked with the nurse at Enterolab I asked her about this and she said they hear that alot and it seems to be the last thing to improve for some reason.

In my case I've had it evaluated extensively and can find no solid reason for it. I take many supplements including protein, multi, EPA, GLA, b-complex, calcium magnesium, E, C, D etc.

I had all kinds of vitamin levels checked, electrolytes and aobut every other blood test that would apply. I had an EMG which came back negative and the internist I saw believes the weakness may be related to my Fibromyalgia.

What I have found for me is if I limit certain foods it appears to improve. So far dairy and coffee seem to be the largest contributors for me. I will say this was one of the first symptoms to appear for me and I think it may be one of the last to clear up since I had it the longest. The weird thing is when I took coffee out of my diet my muscles did improve and the same with dairy. I'm not strict with it and have it occasionally and seem to do o.k. with that. If I have it several days in a row I begin to have problems again. The coffee was the weird one since it was not the caffeine, but the actual coffee itself. I guess there is a protein in it that some people can react to. It was also making me extremely tired and depressed. There is a study on coffee intolerance, but I'm sure with the coffee industry the way it is any negative associations will be downplayed:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-...ces-463533.html

I was only drinking one cup a day so it's not like I was drinking it excessively either. I'm back to tea and am doing fine with that. The weakness had gotten bad enough that I had my hair cut shorter and my youngest dd's because my arms would get so tired holding the dryer and brushing hair. That hasn't been an issue for a few months now ever since I adjusted my diet for dairy and then coffee. Other food intolerances may be something to explore if you still have muscle weakness that can't be explained.

I haven't noticed if mine is related to coffee. I try to keep the coffee out. At times though I just can't help it.

I've always loved coffee. But the sugar and creamer and what make it great...and none of them fair well with me.

I'll have to pay attention next time and see if it connects.

I hope you feel better!

I have always been allergic to coffee. I do not even like the smell. I have sort of a primitive kitchen, no toaster & no coffee pot !! :lol:

to the original poster, have you always eaten flax? I am allergic to it...

Guest digmom1014

Wow! This is so heartwarming to me. I love this site because, we find out we are not alone in many aspects of this journey. To answer gfpaperdoll, yes I have taken flax for a long time but, who knows. I'll take it out this week and see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestion. Anyone else taking flax?

Don't you also wonder if like Crimson, we didn't suffer through our exercises to make us feel better, we would feel better? I too am very guilty of this-I push myself constantly.

Wow! This is so heartwarming to me. I love this site because, we find out we are not alone in many aspects of this journey. To answer gfpaperdoll, yes I have taken flax for a long time but, who knows. I'll take it out this week and see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestion. Anyone else taking flax?

Don't you also wonder if like Crimson, we didn't suffer through our exercises to make us feel better, we would feel better? I too am very guilty of this-I push myself constantly.

Well, they say that if you exercise no matter what your illness it will help more in the long run.

I don't know what happened because I was always active before. Now I tell myself I need to get out there but I just don't do it as often as I could or I should.

~Barb

YIPPEE for Gluten free

Well, not only did my legs start to feel tired and such, but after a while there began to be some serious pain. It unfortunately got to be debilitating before I figured it out. Once I started taking magnesium, it cleared up in a matter of weeks. Since magnesium deficiency is very common amongst Celiacs, it doesn't surprise me, now that I know about it. Just how much magnesium to take depends on how much your intestines can absorb. Apparently, magnesium citrate is one of the most well-absorbed forms. If you take more than your body needs, you may find it has a tendency to loosen stool. That's basically the idea behind Milk of Magnesia.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Try doing some exercises that open your hips and strengthen your lower back and abdominal muscles. It was only after I went gluten-free that I realized that all those years of slouching from the stomach pain had really weakened those muscles. My legs are much less fatigued when I stretch out those muscles every few days.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

Well, not only did my legs start to feel tired and such, but after a while there began to be some serious pain. It unfortunately got to be debilitating before I figured it out. Once I started taking magnesium, it cleared up in a matter of weeks. Since magnesium deficiency is very common amongst Celiacs, it doesn't surprise me, now that I know about it. Just how much magnesium to take depends on how much your intestines can absorb. Apparently, magnesium citrate is one of the most well-absorbed forms. If you take more than your body needs, you may find it has a tendency to loosen stool. That's basically the idea behind Milk of Magnesia.

LOL I am not going to "run" out and buy some milk of magnesia, pun intended!

I did buy some calcium that has magnesium in it. I had just read that our body needs the magnesium almost more then the calcium. I don't know where I was reading that at but they were talking about osteoporosis and how much we need the magnesium.

My problem is I don't take mine consistently. I am going to take mine this morning and try to remember to take them daily and see if it helps.

~Barb

YIPPEE for Gluten free