Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dilettantesteph

Are Those Sensitive To gluten-free Oats Also Sensitive To Especially Low Levels Of Gluten?

Just curious because I am sensitive to gluten-free oats and seem to also be sensitive to small amounts of cross contamination. Other celiacs can eat things that make me sick. That might just be that I am early in the diet and not healed yet. I am wondering if there are subclasses of celiac disease out there. Someone else

wrote that she thought that people who were sensitive to gluten-free oats were more likely to test negative for celiac disease. Any comments?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am very sensitive to tiny amounts of gluten but tolerate oats very well. Keep in mind that oats or not, there is a range of reactions/levels of sensitivity amoung those with celiac disease, with no or almost no symptoms on one end. But symptoms or not damage occurs. It is advised to wait until you heal to introduce oats and to do so slowly. For some. It can take a year or more to heal. I tried oats at a year or year and a half after going gluten-free. I was undiagnosed for 8 years and suspect I had alot of damage, in part, due to symptoms of malabsorbtion and nutrient deficiency and judging by how long it took me to get better. You also must use certified gluten-free oats as regular ones are cross-contaminated.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Interesting question. I was off wheat for a few years before even considering celiac....at the time when I was tested (blood tests), the only gluten I was getting would be from contaminated oats. I wasn't positive on all the tests, but the tTG and one of the antigliadin ones were positive.

After going gluten free for a short while, I did try gluten free oats.... I do seem to react to them.

As far as I know, I don't react to small amounts of cc. (At the same time, I do have GI issues sometimes <_< )

(the saga continues....I had a biopsy a week and a half ago because I was already having another endoscopic procedure done. The doctor asked me to eat gluten, and since I can't have wheat or rye (allergic), and barley tends to have may contain nut warnings (I'm allergic to nuts), I ate contaminated oats instead for a month in advance. If the test comes back positive, I think that it would be fairly definite that I can't have oats.)

positive tTG and antigliadin blood tests for celiac (summer 2006)

positive dietary response

environmental and food allergies.

I've been gluten-free for four years and follow a very strict diet. I still don't tolerate oats and am painfully sensitive to CC. I don't think I am the norm though.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

I've been gluten-free for four years and follow a very strict diet. I still don't tolerate oats and am painfully sensitive to CC. I don't think I am the norm though.

I am like you and so is my son. I am thinking that there are different forms of celiac and he inherited mine.

I am also highly sensitive, even the tiniest bit of cc gives me an almost immediate response. And it's not pretty.

"...I tried to explain to the waiter that I could not have anything with flour so he took the flower off the table..."

Live your life each day

greet the tides my friend

we're all nomads; forever on our way

a journey to the end.

Some of us can't have oats, it's a known fact. There is a protein in oats called avenin, and some of us are intolerant of it. Oats bothered me long before I knew about gluten, but then they probably were comtaminated too. I can't eat any grains anymore and have no plans on trying oats again.

I do know I react to oats in lotions and soaps too.

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

Im off the grains as well. I always had issues with oats. I would eat them and then go into a "coma". I used to eat them late at night when I couldnt sleep.....but would wake with a "hangover". I stopped the oats before gluten. Rice seems to be an issue for me as well......

I only have a few tlb of amaranth flour a week for one recipe. I do fine with that. But not eating any grains.......

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

I've tried two different brands of gluten-free oats on two different occasions and had reactions both times. I also react to very small amounts of gluten. Oats were my most common breakfast food before going gluten-free so the hope has always been that I could start eating them again, for variety if nothing else. That doesn't seem likely any more.