Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In
dogle

I Am Also Having Problems With Gluten Free Chex

Rate this topic

This is information regarding "Certified Gluten Free"...

http://www.celiaccentral.org/gluten-free-certification/

Please note, that "certified gluten free" makes no claim of ZERO gluten, it is an endorsement from celiac organizations, that a particular product is with compliance with the federal standard or 20 ppm or less.

In defense of Chex. I do not have an issue with their gluten free products I'm not sure if they have a separate facility for their gluten free products, nor does that concern me. I've been gluten free since 2005.

If you are only buying 'Certified Gluten Free" Products, you might be getting pretty hungry. And if you're new to the diet, it's best to eat whole foods for a while and stay away from processed food and dairy for a while.

Bet of luck to you.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

This is information regarding "Certified Gluten Free"...

http://www.celiaccentral.org/gluten-free-certification/

Please note, that "certified gluten free" makes no claim of ZERO gluten, it is an endorsement from celiac organizations, that a particular product is with compliance with the federal standard or 20 ppm or less.

In defense of Chex. I do not have an issue with their gluten free products I'm not sure if they have a separate facility for their gluten free products, nor does that concern me. I've been gluten free since 2005.

If you are only buying 'Certified Gluten Free" Products, you might be getting pretty hungry. And if you're new to the diet, it's best to eat whole foods for a while and stay away from processed food and dairy for a while.

Bet of luck to you.

Good explanation! Thanks.

I think we imagine that there is some person in a lab coat, with a test tube & a microscope, testing each batch and stamping " certified" on the package. Lol

I have a wheat allergy and I'm currently at the point where the last threee times i ate chex. Gluten free chocolate cereal I've been knocked out for hours after and nauseous.  I believe they are cross contaminated and will be contacting chex soon 

On 6/18/2019 at 11:20 PM, laf2005laurie said:

I think the mystery has been solved this week in the news: Glyphosate in General Mills Cereal reported by the FDA.  It only took 'em a bit less than a decade.

Hah! I was FFing to the end of this thread to reply the same.. Glyphosate indeed. Scary stuff.. gonna have to go organic/non-GMO. I just had a bowl of cinnamon Chex and my throat feels weird and I’ve got heart palpitations. 

On 8/28/2012 at 8:58 PM, Chalula88 said:

The cinnamon chex make me very, very ill as well. This is the first time I have ever gotten sick from a gluten free food. I am pretty sure it is some kind of gluten CC because I have eaten all of the ingredients in other foods without a problem.

I did some research and the website said something about GMO being a culprit. Could this be making people sick?

I'd like to also broadcast my experience with eating Cinnamon Chex two days ago. 

I hadn't really eaten any cereal in probably a year or more, other than a bite or two.  So, I decided to fix myself a bowl of Cinnamon Chex (2-3 servings) a couple days ago (with no milk, just dry).  Within an hour of finishing the bowl, my stomach started to cramp.  The pain intensity increased as the day went on and forced me into my recliner with a heating pad on my belly.  While I was going through all the pain, I had something pop in the top right side of my head that scared me to death ... I thought it was a stroke!  But, I was ok ... and it seemed to be an instant migraine of some sort.  So ... I suffered for about 7 hours until I went to bed and passed out.  I could not even eat supper that night.  I slept heavy and deep ... I guess from the exhaustion of all the pain.  The next day, I had an enormous bowel movement, tons of bowel noises and a headache.

I now have about 3 weeks of misery ahead until I get back to normal.  I will now go through brain fog, skin rashes, migraines, terrible anxiety, severe constipation, insomnia, irritability, etc.  I've been strictly gluten free for several years ... including no eating out.  I prepare every scrap of food, from-scratch that goes into my mouth.  I only eat meat, veggies, fruit and rice.  I KNOW, now, that Chex is NOT gluten freeThanks Chex for not truly caring about your customers! ?

I eat cinnamon and other flavors of Chex cereal regularly with no problems .   I know many Celiacs that also eat them with no issues.  

2 minutes ago, kareng said:

I eat cinnamon and other flavors of Chex cereal regularly with no problems .   I know many Celiacs that also eat them with no issues.  

I can only conclude after reading about everyone else here that have had problems with Chex that:

1) I got a box that does contain gluten, as did the others here ... and that those who can eat Chex perhaps are getting clean boxes.

or

2) People who can eat Chex are not nearly as sensitive to gluten as the rest of us who have had problems with it.  I've read through the years that some folks are not nearly as sensitive as others to gluten.  I've also read where the people who are not nearly as sensitive often eat gluten without knowing it. 

I can assure you, my body knows when it's eaten gluten and I am in full blown Celiac attack right now because of it.

6 hours ago, BeckyP said:

I can only conclude after reading about everyone else here that have had problems with Chex that:

1) I got a box that does contain gluten, as did the others here ... and that those who can eat Chex perhaps are getting clean boxes.

or

2) People who can eat Chex are not nearly as sensitive to gluten as the rest of us who have had problems with it.  I've read through the years that some folks are not nearly as sensitive as others to gluten.  I've also read where the people who are not nearly as sensitive often eat gluten without knowing it. 

I can assure you, my body knows when it's eaten gluten and I am in full blown Celiac attack right now because of it.

So let’s assume that somehow there is gluten in the cereal.  What they say when you called?  Did they tell you how to send the cereal back for testing?  

11 minutes ago, kareng said:

So let’s assume that somehow there is gluten in the cereal.  What they say when you called?  Did they tell you how to send the cereal back for testing?  

There's no doubt that there is gluten in the cereal that I ate as I had eaten nothing else but that cereal.  I got online and found this forum where others had the same problem.  Additionally, their cereal is NOT certified gluten free ... do disputing that fact!  General Mills also has the reputation of not caring about what goes into their products.  Two days later, my abdomen is still hurting and in terrible waves of pain and I've been on a heating pad ever since ... plus ... suffering from all my typical glutened symptoms.  In my eyes, it is indisputable that my box of cereal had gluten in it.  No need to call them.  I am positive that since they would label something gluten free that is not, they could care less if their cereal hurt me!  They would be out of business if they admitted any guilt.  ha!  ?

Feel free to keep eating the cereal if you like; I'm merely posting my experience with that poisoned cereal so that others who are very sensitive to gluten will know to either stay away from that brand or will find comfort in my story because they too experienced the same reaction to that cereal.

As we often say, not everything is attributed to Celiac. Corn is a common sensitivity/allergy for a number of people. It seems Celiacs are just as prone to other food sensitivities as everyone else. Perhaps keep track of what triggers ill feelings and keep a diary. Personally, I don’t eat “mainstream” cereals. I rarely eat gluten-free cereals from the gluten-free aisle either as I cannot tolerate oats and they seem to be everywhere as a cheap filler. 

Good luck!!

Oh yes ... I know as I’ve been a Celiac for years and I know about intolerance to other foods.  I am not intolerant to any ingredient listed on the label of the Chex cereal I ate. I am intolerant to the gluten that was in it. Ha!

On 1/8/2020 at 8:08 PM, BeckyP said:

Oh yes ... I know as I’ve been a Celiac for years and I know about intolerance to other foods.  I am not intolerant to any ingredient listed on the label of the Chex cereal I ate. I am intolerant to the gluten that was in it. Ha!

I have heard many people who do not have celiacs disease also vomit and get sick. It's not just the pestisides but also bht that can make people sick

I think they are gluten-free because I never get sick on the gluten-free cheerios only chex. the chex is made with bht