sylviaann

Looking For Safe, Gentle Magnesium Product

Rate this topic

I have been researching for a magnesium supplement all morning and am still uncertain as to what is really safe. I have a chronic GI condition so it is imperative that I choose a product that wuill be extremely gentle on my stomach. I have read that chelated magnesium is a safer form and I know that I need to stay away from citric acid.

I am intolerant to soy, dairy, corn, shellfish, MSG, aspartate (artifical sweeteners) and of course gluten.

Does anyone know of a company that has an excellent product which meets all my criteria??

Thanks a million,

Sylvia Ann :D

you might look into a liquid form, so you can moderate the dosage and frequency more easily.

:( Sorry, mine has citric acid, I use Nature's Bounty.

me too

you might look into a liquid form, so you can moderate the dosage and frequency more easily.

I have been seriously thinking about that. Do you know any companies that make a "safe liquid" product?

I thought that Solgar?? might have a liquid form but cannot recall for certain.

Sylvia Ann

Sylviaann,

Take a look here

http://www.kirkmanlabs.com/Hypoallergic_Product.aspx

Scroll down to the "mineral" section. They have a couple of magnesium products there that you can check out.

I have a very hard time with suppliments, and I take the Everyday Multi (hyperallergenic) with no problems.

I take Natural Calm, which is powdered magnesium citrate. It's labeled gluten-free. Because it's a powder, you can start with a small amount and work your way up.

It would still give me diarrhea sometimes (as magnesium will). I recently started taking VSL#3 probiotics, and that made a huge difference. I can't help thinking the probiotics are helping my body absorb the magnesium, instead of just wasting it. So you might consider trying probiotics as well.

Sylviaann,

Take a look here

http://www.kirkmanlabs.com/Hypoallergic_Product.aspx

Scroll down to the "mineral" section. They have a couple of magnesium products there that you can check out.

I have a very hard time with suppliments, and I take the Everyday Multi (hyperallergenic) with no problems.

Thank you Patti :) I know you and I are both super sensitive! I actually called Kirkland's yesterday and ordered several vitamins for the first time (after I read one of your previous posts about them). Their magnesium contains citric acid (I think) and I need to stay away from this. I am excited about trying their products but the person I spoke to was not sure if their magnesium was a "good fit" for me. Do you take their magnesium product? If so, which one? I have to steer clear of the 'Big Four" -including soy & corn and MSG (including gelatin) and shellfish. I react to whole foods containing a high level of naturally occuring glutamates.

Sylvia Ann :)

I take Natural Calm, which is powdered magnesium citrate. It's labeled gluten-free. Because it's a powder, you can start with a small amount and work your way up.

It would still give me diarrhea sometimes (as magnesium will). I recently started taking VSL#3 probiotics, and that made a huge difference. I can't help thinking the probiotics are helping my body absorb the magnesium, instead of just wasting it. So you might consider trying probiotics as well.

I have been taking probiotics for over a year, including VSL #3 (contains dairy). I stopped all dairy so I had to switch back to culturelle and remove the powder from the capsule (capsule contains gelatin-MSG) and mix with water. I tried Natural Calm two years ago but it is too harsh on my stomach. Thank you for sharing :)

Sylvia Ann

Thank you Patti :) I know you and I are both super sensitive! I actually called Kirkland's yesterday and ordered several vitamins for the first time (after I read one of your previous posts about them). Their magnesium contains citric acid (I think) and I need to stay away from this. I am excited about trying their products but the person I spoke to was not sure if their magnesium was a "good fit" for me. Do you take their magnesium product? If so, which one? I have to steer clear of the 'Big Four" -including soy & corn and MSG (including gelatin) and shellfish. I react to whole foods containing a high level of naturally occuring glutamates.

Sylvia Ann :)

No, I don't take magnesium alone (there's some in the multi, though). I'm prone to D, so I can't tolerate too much of it.

Hope your new vitamins work out well for you! :)

Chelated Mg is better for the tummy/intestines, or even magnesium citrate (this isn't citric acid) is better than just plain old MOM (Milk of Magnesia). But it could be helpful, if you're trying to avoid some ingredient in the other supplements. Unchelated (bare Mg++ ions) tend to mess with your gut.

MOM is just plain old magnesium hydroxide, Mg(OH)2. It comes in liquid or tablet form, used as an antacid and laxative. 1 tsp (5 ml) of Walgreen's brand MOM contains 168 mg of Magnesium. As an antacid, the hydroxides neutralize stomach acid to form water.

Mg(OH)2 + 2H+ --> 2H2O + Mg++

Definately take this with food or it can give you diarrhea, etc pretty quick. I'm not a physician or pharmacist, so ask them first. :)

Dada

http://www.thecatalog.com/1283.html

This is the one I use - NOW brand Magnesium caps. It appears to be citric acid free. I've been using it for years with no problems.

I highly recommend it. You can also buy it on Amazon.

Natrol is free of yeast, wheat, corn, milk, soy, gluten, artificial flavors or colors, added sugar, starch, or preservatives.

www.natrol.com