purpleflowers

Is It Possible To Be Gluten,Dairy,Soy,Yeast,Sugar Free All At Once?

Rate this topic

i have endless depression.told by enterolabs that I have gluten sensitivity,2 years ago tried Body Ecology Diet by Donna GAtes (didnt and still dont know what my problem is) was just thinking it was Candida so I tried her Diet.Was a nightmare....felt like I was starving to death.Only made it 3 months but also cheated with some sugar and caffeine a few times on it.(wasnt suppose to have any)Only thing that improved was Digestion.I had severe digestion issues then ( not digesting anything) and lots of rumbling.After that diet (only 3 months of it) I ate everything....whatever I wanted and it was all tolerated well???? This confused the heck out of me and made me wonder do I just have a slow conjested syste, and it was cleaned out by then and able to handle more or was it candida that died down a little or was it gluten, or soy, or not enough probiotics??????? ENOUGH TO DRIVE ONE INSANE!

Now fastforward to now I have been off gluten for a few weeks (not feeling well again, mentally unwell,chronic fatigue.....(the lists could go on)

then fell off the diet now back on it plus dairy free>trying to see if these things really bother me.

NEW DR says Ok I want you to go GLUTEN FREE, DAIRY FREE,SUGAR FREE, YEAST FREE,SOY FREE and see him back in 6 weeks plus I have some supplements to take and a liver cleanse for a conjested liver.

MY ?? IS IT POSSIBLE TO BE ALL THOSE THINGS FREE AT ONCE? SOMEONE HELP? I FELT LIKE I WAS STARVING TO DEATH FROM THE FIRST DIET HELP!!!

Welcome to the board.

I think the answer is "maybe." It all depends on the sugar question. There are many forms of sugar found in many foods. If the doctor means no added processed sugar, then it is possible. But sugar occurs naturally in some form in many foods. Fruits and vegetables have various forms of sugars in them. Forms include fructose and sucrose as well as glucose. Dextrose and glucose are slight variants of the same sugar (for you chemists, they are isomers). A diet totally devoid of such foods will be deficient in key nutrients. You can't get everything you need from meat.

Why did your doctor want you to abstain from those foods? What does he think that restrictive diet will do for you?

If your doc does have good reasons for that restrictive diet, I want to reassure you that you still have lots of healthy choices to eat. I have ELISA (blood test) diagnosed allergies to gluten, dairy, soy, eggs, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg. So I abstain from all those foods. I can still eat meats, poultry, fish, vegies, fruits, gluten-free grains, nuts and legumes. None of those have yeast. You can get yeast free gluten-free breads through Ener-G Foods.

I also did the candida diet (no yeast, very limited fruits, etc. etc.) before I learned I had egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg allergies. So I know how restrictive that diet can be. However, you can prepare all the foods I can safely eat even with my 7 food allergies. Unless you mostly eat processed, packaged foods, you still have many choices. If you don't already cook for yourself, this diet may force you to learn to cook simple, healthier foods. Good luck!

SUE

i have endless depression.told by enterolabs that I have gluten sensitivity,2 years ago tried Body Ecology Diet by Donna GAtes (didnt and still dont know what my problem is) was just thinking it was Candida so I tried her Diet.Was a nightmare....felt like I was starving to death.Only made it 3 months but also cheated with some sugar and caffeine a few times on it.(wasnt suppose to have any)Only thing that improved was Digestion.I had severe digestion issues then ( not digesting anything) and lots of rumbling.After that diet (only 3 months of it) I ate everything....whatever I wanted and it was all tolerated well???? This confused the heck out of me and made me wonder do I just have a slow conjested syste, and it was cleaned out by then and able to handle more or was it candida that died down a little or was it gluten, or soy, or not enough probiotics??????? ENOUGH TO DRIVE ONE INSANE!

Now fastforward to now I have been off gluten for a few weeks (not feeling well again, mentally unwell,chronic fatigue.....(the lists could go on)

then fell off the diet now back on it plus dairy free>trying to see if these things really bother me.

NEW DR says Ok I want you to go GLUTEN FREE, DAIRY FREE,SUGAR FREE, YEAST FREE,SOY FREE and see him back in 6 weeks plus I have some supplements to take and a liver cleanse for a conjested liver.

MY ?? IS IT POSSIBLE TO BE ALL THOSE THINGS FREE AT ONCE? SOMEONE HELP? I FELT LIKE I WAS STARVING TO DEATH FROM THE FIRST DIET HELP!!!

Hi and welcome :)

You poor thing, you sound really frustrated and I don't blame you. It's very hard to sort these things out.

The answer to your question is yes, it's possible--I did such a diet for a while before I had ever heard of Celiac when after having symptoms that no doctor ever diagnosed correctly I sought the help of a Kinesiologist. He told me to eliminate gluten, dairy, soy, legumes, coconut, sugar, artificial sweeteners, grains, and corn.

I ate meats, poultry, veggies except legumes, fruits except coconut, nuts (no peanuts which are also legumes), olive oil, potatoes/white and sweet, etc. It was possible to eat pretty well even with all of those restrictions.

Unfortunately, without a firm diagnosis, I slipped back into my previous eating pattern and in time I got ill all over again.

I am living with those restrictions plus many others-too numerous to list.

I eat meat, veg., nuts and fats and manage to live on only those. I do get a bit of sugar in ham, deli turkey and very dark chocolate. I'm mostly sugar-free, for different reasons than you are so I don't know if my suggestions of foods will apply-I use the Earthbalance soy-free version for my "butter" coconut oil is very good on things too. I have it on canned pumpkin and sometimes add a bit of cinnamon too. I like the Turtle Mountain unsweetened coconut beverage for my "milk". Lots of different herbs and spices oils and vinegars in my cupboard add variety to simple ingredients, as does cutting the same veg. differently and mixing it in different combinations for different meals, also varying the cooking methods helps break up the monontony. I started buying and eating veg that I usually didn't eat before just to gat variety-different colors, different nutrients. It's not something that you walk in the store and get really excited about, but in my book variety is better than same old same old, at least visually, even if it's not the biggest flavor discovery. I eat 4 meals a day-my afternoon "snack" is really a mini meal of meat and veg. It keeps me from being hungry and sustains my energy, as does having plenty of fats(I am low-carb-no grains). My meals are not always a flavor explosion in my mouth. I look at them as gas for the car. If they give me what I need to keep going and feel good, then I can look forward to enjoying other things in life. But my meals are still palatable to me. The very real alternative is that if I didn't eat this way, I would feel so bad that the ONLY thing I could enjoy in life, for the rest of my would be short, miserable life, would be the momentary pleasure of some food(most of it not really that great, if I was honest with myself). The misery isn't worth it. Been there. Done that.

I hope that doesn't sound tough love. It's not aimed at you. Maybe others have a different way of processing it, but that is the thought process I've been through to manage all these crazy restrictions. I takes alot to wrap our minds around these things. We have to reprogram the way we think sometimes and it's harder when you don't get clear answers and support from the medical community. For me, allergy testing has been helpful in providing me with another piece of the puzzle. Keep doing what you know is right for you to support your health and don't give up on finding answers. I find it necessary, but challenging, to both be patient with the process and yet not give up and keep fighting.

I basically eat this way. Just meat and veggies, and occasional wine or alcohol.

If I eat a bit of fruit, I'll choose the lower sugar type. I don't use any butter-like or milk-like foods. I use olive oil for my cooking fat source, and coconut milk for curries. I don't eat cereal or put anything in my coffee, or have toast that needs something on top (although typing that just made me crave peanut butter toast......oh well). If I have chocolate, I'll have the tiniest bite and let it melt in my mouth for the full flavor.

I too eat for fuel. It's all about what ends up working for you.

Welcome to the board. I was originally a member beginning in 2005, and I can tell you that I have encountered some of the most supportive, kind, intelligent people through this forum with whom I worked through things just like this. I met some very good friends -- and my best friend -- on here.

I have been fortunate that my dietary limitations haven't been this stringent. My home health nurse, however, DOES have these same restrictions. She has a diet that is incredibly similar to Jestgar's. She also carries it in stride just as Jestgar does. While I thought the gluten-free learning curve was large (of course that was WAY back in the day!), listening to how she has lived this lifestyle for three years now made my "hurdle" seem like a small bump.

I wish you so much good fortune while you are eliminating these things from your diet, and I hope you start to feel much better very soon.

Lynne

I am living with those restrictions plus many others-too numerous to list.

I eat meat, veg., nuts and fats and manage to live on only those. I do get a bit of sugar in ham, deli turkey and very dark chocolate. I'm mostly sugar-free, for different reasons than you are so I don't know if my suggestions of foods will apply-I use the Earthbalance soy-free version for my "butter" coconut oil is very good on things too. I have it on canned pumpkin and sometimes add a bit of cinnamon too. I like the Turtle Mountain unsweetened coconut beverage for my "milk". Lots of different herbs and spices oils and vinegars in my cupboard add variety to simple ingredients, as does cutting the same veg. differently and mixing it in different combinations for different meals, also varying the cooking methods helps break up the monontony. I started buying and eating veg that I usually didn't eat before just to gat variety-different colors, different nutrients. It's not something that you walk in the store and get really excited about, but in my book variety is better than same old same old, at least visually, even if it's not the biggest flavor discovery. I eat 4 meals a day-my afternoon "snack" is really a mini meal of meat and veg. It keeps me from being hungry and sustains my energy, as does having plenty of fats(I am low-carb-no grains). My meals are not always a flavor explosion in my mouth. I look at them as gas for the car. If they give me what I need to keep going and feel good, then I can look forward to enjoying other things in life. But my meals are still palatable to me. The very real alternative is that if I didn't eat this way, I would feel so bad that the ONLY thing I could enjoy in life, for the rest of my would be short, miserable life, would be the momentary pleasure of some food(most of it not really that great, if I was honest with myself). The misery isn't worth it. Been there. Done that.

I hope that doesn't sound tough love. It's not aimed at you. Maybe others have a different way of processing it, but that is the thought process I've been through to manage all these crazy restrictions. I takes alot to wrap our minds around these things. We have to reprogram the way we think sometimes and it's harder when you don't get clear answers and support from the medical community. For me, allergy testing has been helpful in providing me with another piece of the puzzle. Keep doing what you know is right for you to support your health and don't give up on finding answers. I find it necessary, but challenging, to both be patient with the process and yet not give up and keep fighting.

If you dont mind me asking....what r the other reasons why you avoid sugar?

How do you feel now these days? is ita whole lot better....I havent had much answers or anything going to the Dr I have gone to so far, I sometimes hear people talk and it slike they go to these Dr's repeatedly and DOnt feel any better

What kind of testing did you have that revealed enviromental allergies and your food allergies?Was it a big lab? a blood test or saliva? I have heard of a good couple labs I guess they are,and they were Great Smokies,Enterolabs,Dr'S data.....was it any of these?

Im not offended by the tough love kinda way.At this point I do feel I have nor much more to be happy over either other then the food that seems to be part id not all the problem.Not sure.

I JUST WANNA FEEL BETTER ALREADY.....I will have to learn to give up so much and I wouldnt mind as much if I know it will improve my quality of life.Right now there is no Quality....not even sleep unles its brought on by a pill induced sleep.I take Ambien and want off it and cant get off it.Its the only thing that has worked so far.Its bad when you cant even get sleep.It snot a luxury its a necessity.

Thanks for your response

I basically eat this way. Just meat and veggies, and occasional wine or alcohol.

If I eat a bit of fruit, I'll choose the lower sugar type. I don't use any butter-like or milk-like foods. I use olive oil for my cooking fat source, and coconut milk for curries. I don't eat cereal or put anything in my coffee, or have toast that needs something on top (although typing that just made me crave peanut butter toast......oh well). If I have chocolate, I'll have the tiniest bite and let it melt in my mouth for the full flavor.

I too eat for fuel. It's all about what ends up working for you.

as for you too, is this way of eating what made you feel better? I dont see any post on what your diagnoses are (maybe Im not looking in the right place)

But was this way of eating what made you feel good.I mean did you feel real bad before.I feel like SH.. and cant even sleep on top of it all.I cant find what works for me as far as diet.I also have Adrenal fatigue and Dr claims my cortisol is high at night and this is why I dont sleep.Might be true....I mean sometimes Im like a zombie all night if I dont take a pill then like clockwork 5 or 6 am :knocked out" til 11:30 am.Its so bad I went from a 9-5 job in a Dr's office to having to work pt jobs at night if at all.I havent worked much these days.My husband takes it all on and its tiring.

Why did your doctor want you to abstain from those foods? What does he think that restrictive diet will do for you?

If your doc does have good reasons for that restrictive diet, I want to reassure you that you still have lots of healthy choices to eat. I have ELISA (blood test) diagnosed allergies to gluten, dairy, soy, eggs, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg. So I abstain from all those foods. I can still eat meats, poultry, fish, vegies, fruits, gluten-free grains, nuts and legumes. None of those have yeast. You can get yeast free gluten-free breads through Ener-G Foods.

I also did the candida diet (no yeast, very limited fruits, etc. etc.) before I learned I had egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg allergies. So I know how restrictive that diet can be. However, you can prepare all the foods I can safely eat even with my 7 food allergies. Unless you mostly eat processed, packaged foods, you still have many choices. If you don't already cook for yourself, this diet may force you to learn to cook simple, healthier foods. Good luck!

SUE

i dont knwo what he thinks it will do for me....he said to do this after I told him my frustrating history with The Body Ecology Diet and I didnt knwo if I have candida because I have taken lifelong amounts of antibiotics as a child, and that quite often after I eat I would get exhausted within 10 minuts sometimes sooner.I think he wasnt sure if it canddia reacting to the foods or me reacting from allergies that I dont know about.He said that is signs of food allergy.I also told him I am very limited by money and he said to keep a journal for now Of what I eat and stuff....I guess thinks we will be able to detect it this way since I dont have the money for all that testing.Imn ot even sure exactly how much it is anyway.He did diagnose me with a level of toxicity,and gave me a liver cleanse that Im not taking right now.It made me feel crappy...gonna take that one slow

Every sacrifice I have made has been worth it. Every thing I adress gets me one step further to feeling like I want to. Sometimes it requires alot of time and patience and the process is wearing but it's all worth it. I still am not quite where I want to be with energy and strength. But so so much better than where I was when I started this journey.

I avoid sugar because of diabetes, which I control with diet alone, and not because it's only mild. I can have a little, but very very little. Many other things were eliminated because of diabetes-grains, fruits, starchy vegetables. Yeast went out by defalt with the bread.

I started eliminating more than just gluten after 2 years being gluten-free and feeling finally somewhat close to what I thought normal should be but still not enough. I felt much better immediately after just cutting out what I knew to be gluten in the first day or two but I feel that it took my body that whole two years to heal. It was a process and I felt fatiged at various levels for a long time. I suspected diabetes so got tested and started managing it. Dropped stuff that affected blood sugar too much and felt that much better.

This year's project was allergies. I've had sinus problems for decades and finally lost my patience with them and my efforts to manage weren't working well enough. Heard about an allergist who did extensive food testing so I thought I would fix my sinuses(with the help of tests for environmental allergies) and find out what my problem with dairy was. Walked out with a long list of possible food intolerances/allergies and what I suspect to be leaky gut syndrome. Testing was skin. I've had skin testing before(with a different allergist) and it wasn't helpful but this time it was! I don't know if the tests themselves are different but the allergists' protocol and perspecive certainly are. My new one had me eliminate all that I reacted to for 4 weeks and very much to my suprize my gut felt so calm after meals. I felt nothing at all really. I used to feel like I was digesting all the time and thought that was normal. Now I am re-introducing one at a time-one per week and eating some everyday to see if I have any symptoms. Soy was on the list.

Dairy has always bothered me-whole life and never had a dx and wanted to know-there are many components that can be possible problems so I've had several kinds of tests. The recent skin testing was positive for casein. There is a milk subfraction blood test that tests for several separate components of milk, as well as a special test for lactose and then skin and blood testing for milk allergy. I did a year long elimination of dairy on my own before allergy testing and found much to my suprize that my sinus problems cleared up quite a bit. Motivation enough to keep it out but not enough to avoid further adressing sinus issues and I wanted to know what exactly was the problem so that I could know exactly which or if all dairy to avoid.

For me, various things caused muscle tension at night that left me with less than restful sleep-blood sugar, calcium supplements(after dropping them, I no longer feel tense), of course, gluten. Also digestive distress-If I eat too close to bed time or too much , not having time to digest, I end up with tension in my GI tract, lower back, whole abdominal area that interferes with my sleep-better for me to eat minimun 3 hrs. before bed-4 is better. Nasal inflamation also interfered with good breathing and created tension and less than restful sleep. Now that I am breathing more clearly, it helps alot. Stretches before bed is helpful too.

I am currently on a gluten-free, yf, df diet. I drink limited amounts of soy milk, I love the chocolate silk, because soy is not recommended for thyroid patients. I've drastically reduced my sugar intake in recent weeks. My diet is pretty ridiculous at the moment, but that's how desperate I am right now. I eat a lot of brown rice and potatoes, chicken, chex cereals, and bananas. I have to make everything from scatch because yeast extract is a common ingredient in processed foods. Have you had a colonoscopy or EGD? How about a thyroid test? I gave up coffee this week too. It made a big difference with my stomach problems! Good luck to you, it's a hard diet to follow, but in my opinion, well worth it.

I don't have as many restrictions as some people but I do have a few: Gluten Free, Soy Free, Oat Free, Lactose Free, and Onion Free (the only Allium variety of this I can have is garlic). I use Turtle Mountain products, Enjoy Life products and read everything that I buy even if it is a product that I know is safe.

I also changed my hair care products, my make-up, lotion and soaps. I cook at home, keep all the bones from any meat and use them to make my own broths, I also keep all the odds and ends of my loafs of bread and even those I dislike so that I can make stuffing and bread crumbs.

I try not to waste these life style diets are not cheap.

Good luck and keep us posted.

char